Zone1 Be Thou My Vision, O Lord --Songs of love and trusting in God

Day by Day
St. Richard of Chichester wrote the prayer in the thirteenth century that inspired the catchy song, and recited it on his deathbed. The lyrics are amazing, and were popularized in 1971 as a rock ballad.

It’s not often that medieval saints write pop music hits, but such is the case with the rock ballad, “Day by Day.” The refrain to the catchy folk rock ballad from the 1971 musical,Godspell, was composed by a 13th-century Catholic saint, Richard of Chichester.

We can’t credit St. Richard with the music that helped the tune reach #13 on the Billboard Hot 100. The English bishop did compose the prayer that inspired the song in the musical by Stephen Schwartz and John-Michael Tebelak.

The musical’s song repeats the lines:

Day by day,
O dear Lord, three things I pray:
To see thee more clearly,
Love thee more dearly,
Follow thee more nearly,
Day by day.

A thanks to youtube for showing many versions of this prayer/song. My favorite is the top one.

Last edited:
Come Christians, Join to Sing Alleluia Amen
Words, Christian H. Bateman
Music, Traditional Spanish melody; Harmony, David Evans, 1927

Take My Life and Let it Be Consecrated Lord, to Thee
Words, Francis R. Havergal, 1874
Music, Henri A. C. Malan, 1827; Harm. Lowell Mason, 1841

Last edited:

He Arose!
Words and Music: Robert Lowry
Sung by Choir, First Methodist Houston, Downtown

With Lyrics
Sung by Daniel Thornton

Joyful, Joyful, We Adore Thee

So many different versions...expressing Joy to the Lord

I could listen to this music over and over, but my preference by far is the timing
its music author gave it according to Ludwig von Beethoven

It's a good idea to:
Take Time To Be Holy
Words, William D. Longstaff, 1882
Music, George B. Stebbens, 1890
So many lovely people have sung this song
and sent it to YouTube to be heard by
those who Love the Lord and for
those who want to be closer to God.

And the William D. Longstaff's lyrics are:
  1. Take time to be holy, speak oft with thy Lord;
    Abide in Him always, and feed on His Word.
    Make friends of God’s children, help those who are weak,
    Forgetting in nothing His blessing to seek.
  2. Take time to be holy, the world rushes on;
    Spend much time in secret, with Jesus alone.
    By looking to Jesus, like Him thou shalt be;
    Thy friends in thy conduct His likeness shall see.
  3. Take time to be holy, let Him be thy Guide;
    And run not before Him, whatever betide.
    In joy or in sorrow, still follow the Lord,
    And, looking to Jesus, still trust in His Word.
  4. Take time to be holy, be calm in thy soul,
    Each thought and each motive beneath His control.
    Thus led by His Spirit to fountains of love,
    Thou soon shalt be fitted for service above.

This song was sung in our Main Stream Protestant Church to teach the children that Peace is important, in honor of Jesus Christ, who was considered one of the best Jewish Rabbis by multitudes of his followers, and the son of God to his twelve apostles whom he taught to pray, saing "OUR FATHER WHO ART IN HEAVEN, HALLOWED BE THY NAME...or as we know it today, the Lord's Prayer. Notice he did not say give prayers to anyone but our Father in Heaven, not himself. It's called "Shalom Caverim" and is followed with the English (Peace) till we meet again. Children felt happy just by the tune of it, and I found something vaguely like what we sang, minus the props of this fun version which includes musical instruments and such a vivacious conductor:

I confessed to God (more than once) that I do not trust Him. How can anyone trust Him? Look @ all the evil He allows in this world... children being molested by parents/other relatives... children being murdered in the womb.. We saw in the news about the earthquake in Morocco that killed over 1000 people.

I say we should trust God by trusting Jesus Christ (focus on HIM alone), which is the only way any of us can get beyond such issues as mentioned above.. I've had people tell me that God is a sadist. I could not offer any argument against that. But Jesus... He is God but He is a God I can understand...

God answered my prayers this early morning. He wants to protect his people believers of all faiths in the coming days when we need strength. This song He said, will help us, sl please learn the lyrics and save it for that rainy day when you need God's strength:

Forum List

Back