Be kind while you can. You never know when things will change, and they will.

It is kinda sad that we have to encourage people to be nice.

I'll go one farther and encourage people to be friendly.

When I get out running errands, I try to see who I can get to smile. Older ladies with fancy hats are easy. Compliment the hat. But you can find something to say to bring out that smile. And by doing that, this person will be in a better mood for the next person they see or meet. Maybe they pass on a little of the Smile too. The ripple effect means we can change the world.

One of the most profound moral lessons is contained in the parable of the Good Samaritan, and yet most people miss the point.

Christ observed that the two great commandments were, love G-d, and love your neighbor. He was asked, "Who is my neighbor?"

In the parable, the GS does not know the injured traveler - probably they would ignore each other studiously if they ever encountered each other under normal circumstances. And yet the GS sees the humanity of the other, and takes care of him to an extraordinary extent. "Which of the three people who encountered the injured traveler was his 'neighbor?'"

The Good Samaritan.

"Go and do likewise."

The lessons being: Treat EVERYONE like a child of G-d. But the sub-text is that "Christian Love" is not an emotion; it is ACTING in a certain way with respect to others. Act with recognition that they are just as much a child of G-d as you are.

That's it.

How you would like for other people to be nice to you is what you should shoot for. No, it doesn't work 100%, but being an asshole hardly ever works, and solves nothing.

Forum List

Back