Be careful doing your deads, gentleman

Ninja

Dec 30, 2006
Glorious People's Republic of California
Fucked up my lower back really good last night. I'd dropped my weight really low for my last set, and even though I'm a stickler for proper form, on the third rep I felt a sharp pain streak through my lower back. I set the bar down, stretched out, and felt OK so I did my hypers like an idiot when I should have just gone home and iced my back. It could have been way worse - I felt well enough to go do my bicep workout this morning - but damn am I sore. Be careful!

I'm hobbling around like a member of the Rent cast after a date.

Yo be careful bro, I used to lift heavy 5 days a week for about 4 years, before I started a family and found no time to make it to the gym. I was doing a set of decline dumbbell presses, and after the set I dropped the right dumbbell down over my shoulder instead of slowly letting it drop to the side, and I think I have permanent shoulder damage from it now. Everytime I throw a baseball for a while, it causes a lot of pain in my shoulder. I can only throw side-arm now. It sucks because I was training to try out for my local semi-pro baseball team, and now I'm relegated to sandlot softball games.

I really miss the gym, too.

That sucks man. You could go low weight/high reps? I don't know what I'd do without the gym, it's so therapeutic and really helps me deal with stress. I can only imagine how much stress you're under, having a kid. Get it checked out and get back in the gym, dude!

That sucks man. You could go low weight/high reps? I don't know what I'd do without the gym, it's so therapeutic and really helps me deal with stress. I can only imagine how much stress you're under, having a kid. Get it checked out and get back in the gym, dude!

Yeah i started doing calisthenics at home recently. I love the endorphin rush. I feel the same way about it as you do. I wish I could devote the time to the gym, but I have kid duty most nights because my GF is in nursing school during the day and working at night. Stress is definitely a problem these days, but it's going to be a lot better in June when she graduates and gets a normal job. A means to an end, for right now.

Far as the shoulder, I don't have health insurance right now. I should be set up with it sometime next year. I may go union in my line of work, just part time so I can get the bennies. Otherwise I'll probably have some kind of coverage soon enough. The girl's got it and the kids are covered at least, anyway. Checking the shoulder out will definitely be the first thing I do when I'm covered though. If for nothing else, so I can at least throw a baseball properly without pain.

It's strange, because I can haul ladders around all day with no pain, I can do pushups until I'm blue in the face with no pain, but if I throw a baseball overhand for a while, the shoulder acts up. I was thinking rotator cuff, but I'm not so sure anymore because my range of motion is pretty much 100%.

Last edited:

Forum List

Back