Baseball star says baseball is boring

Look at what he is saying. He wants the right to show his exuberance when he gets a home run (or other outstanding play), and baseball is "boring" because these displays are frowned on. He is not saying the game itself is boring, he's saying that the restraints on being demonstrative (the Unwritten Rules) make it boring to him.

A defensive player never "spikes the ball" after an outstanding catch. A pitcher never (rarely) demonstrates his strikeouts or whatever. Batters may not demonstrate when they hit a home run (unless it is a "walk-off").

Like it or not, it's a cultural thing. These demonstrations have finally been accepted in football, but 80% of the viewing audience considers them boorish and indications of poor sportsmanship.

If you ask the baseball fans, I guarantee they want no part of this showboating nonsense.
Baseball can use more excitement

I don’t like a guy hot dogging on a home run when they are down ten runs but a guy high fiving on a significant blast is fun

Same goes for a big strikeout or defensive play

Watching these guys behaving as obnoxious as NBA players won’t make the sport more exciting. I give the NFL players more leeway because football is a gladiator sport
I hate the unwritten rules
Let them have some fun out there

But that is not Baseballs problem. Fans are old farts like me or Hispanics
It is an acquired taste and boring to those who didn’t grow up with it

Don’t see many young kids walking around with a glove anymore
The sport has been destroyed with Hot Dog antics. And Hispanic guys are not innocent in that. Baseball was the only sport that when a fan aged he could talk/debate about the best players throughout history with other guys the same age. Not anymore. The steroid age ruined it all. Combine that with the never ending strikes and Baseball lost its significance as a premier sport for the working class. That has been over for decades now. Managers now overthink with analytics and computer printouts. The Phillies are in first place yet should have several more wins easily. If they make the playoffs as a division winner, I can see them getting swept in the first round easily. To many managers do not position the team to win but micromanage their teams to losses as percentages and using pure logic in a sport where intangibles count also rule everything they push.

Forum List

Back