Baseball star says baseball is boring

Rocko

Platinum Member
Gold Supporting Member
Aug 30, 2011
NY
Tim Anderson has no time for unwritten rules, calls baseball a 'boring' sport

What an idiot! This guy is getting paid millions of dollars to do something most people can only dream of doing, and it’s all because of the fans that love the game that make this possible for him. I’m sure his teammates and colleges who love the game weren’t pleased with his as-sine comment. Not to mention that people work their asses off to promote MLB, which benefits him, and he’s basically spitting in their face. I’ve never seen an athlete so clueless

Traditional spirts used to have a much bigger share of the entertainment pie. Nothing will reverse the trend away from them.

Traditional spirts used to have a much bigger share of the entertainment pie. Nothing will reverse the trend away from them.

No. The NBA is still growing, and many analysts think there’s potential for growth in the NFL, which is already an entertainment juggernaut

No. The NBA is still growing, and many analysts think there’s potential for growth in the NFL, which is already an entertainment juggernaut
For now. E-sports are growing faster, and people have more options for entertainment than ever before. I don’t care either way, just saying how it is. Baseball is my favorite sport.

Look at what he is saying. He wants the right to show his exuberance when he gets a home run (or other outstanding play), and baseball is "boring" because these displays are frowned on. He is not saying the game itself is boring, he's saying that the restraints on being demonstrative (the Unwritten Rules) make it boring to him.

A defensive player never "spikes the ball" after an outstanding catch. A pitcher never (rarely) demonstrates his strikeouts or whatever. Batters may not demonstrate when they hit a home run (unless it is a "walk-off").

Like it or not, it's a cultural thing. These demonstrations have finally been accepted in football, but 80% of the viewing audience considers them boorish and indications of poor sportsmanship.

If you ask the baseball fans, I guarantee they want no part of this showboating nonsense.

Look at what he is saying. He wants the right to show his exuberance when he gets a home run (or other outstanding play), and baseball is "boring" because these displays are frowned on. He is not saying the game itself is boring, he's saying that the restraints on being demonstrative (the Unwritten Rules) make it boring to him.

A defensive player never "spikes the ball" after an outstanding catch. A pitcher never (rarely) demonstrates his strikeouts or whatever. Batters may not demonstrate when they hit a home run (unless it is a "walk-off").

Like it or not, it's a cultural thing. These demonstrations have finally been accepted in football, but 80% of the viewing audience considers them boorish and indications of poor sportsmanship.

If you ask the baseball fans, I guarantee they want no part of this showboating nonsense.
Baseball can use more excitement

I don’t like a guy hot dogging on a home run when they are down ten runs but a guy high fiving on a significant blast is fun

Same goes for a big strikeout or defensive play

I don’t like a guy hot dogging on a home run when they are down ten runs but a guy high fiving on a significant blast is fun

Watching these guys behaving as obnoxious as NBA players won’t make the sport more exciting. I give the NFL players more leeway because football is a gladiator sport

Watching these guys behaving as obnoxious as NBA players won’t make the sport more exciting. I give the NFL players more leeway because football is a gladiator sport
I hate the unwritten rules
Let them have some fun out there

But that is not Baseballs problem. Fans are old farts like me or Hispanics
It is an acquired taste and boring to those who didn’t grow up with it

Don’t see many young kids walking around with a glove anymore

Baseballs main problem is they’re not as good at promoting the sport as the NFL or NBA. When I was younger baseball use to be the number one sport in America by a wide margin. Now they are third. Baseball is capable of being number one again, but the people in suits need to do a better job and their rise to the top won’t a rapid one imo.

As far as kids having fun that’s fine, but I don’t think showing up your opponent will be welcomed by the older to middle aged customers.

Baseballs main problem is they’re not as good at promoting the sport as the NFL or NBA. When I was younger baseball use to be the number one sport in America by a wide margin. Now they are third. Baseball is capable of being number one again, but the people in suits need to do a better job and their rise to the top won’t a rapid one imo.

As far as kids having fun that’s fine, but I don’t think showing up your opponent will be welcomed by the older to middle aged customers.
When I was a kid, Baseball was the unquestioned America’s pastime. Boxing was number 2

NFL rules now

When I was a kid, Baseball was the unquestioned America’s pastime. Boxing was number 2

NFL rules now

Boxing is another sport that has lost it’s luster. Used to be bigger than soccer. Most people can’t even tell you who the heavy weight champ is.

Showing up the opponent often earns you a 90-mph head seeking pitch.....Then the excitement begins. :D

NFL rules now

Boxing is another sport that has lost it’s luster. Used to be bigger than soccer. Most people can’t even tell you who the heavy weight champ is.
I used to be able to rattle off the top 8-10 challengers

Now, I have no idea who the champ is and no longer care

Showing up the opponent often earns you a 90-mph head seeking pitch.....Then the excitement begins. :D

Honestly I’ve always thought intentionally throwing at players is a cowardly move. I mean, it’s no different than a sucker punch. And when Roger Clemens beamed Piazza in the head I lost all respect for him.

hesRightuKnow.jpg

Honestly I’ve always thought intentionally throwing at players is a cowardly move. I mean, it’s no different than a sucker punch. And when Roger Clemens beamed Piazza in the head I lost all respect for him.
I always wondered why a hitter hasn't hucked his bat at the pitcher in retaliation. :D

I always wondered why a hitter hasn't hucked his bat at the pitcher in retaliation. :D

I would if someone intentionally threw at my head

I think the biggest problem with sports in general is that the modern fan has the attention span of a five year old

Baseball is about home runs and strikeouts
Football is about TD passes and sacks
NBA is about threes and dunks

No appreciation for the nuances of the game

Forum List

Back