Baseball needs a hard salary cap

This guy signed for $700 million on a 10 year contract.

the payments to sports players have reached a ridiculous level, and the fans are paying for it. It needs to stop. boycotts are the only way to get their attention.

A lot of entertainers make beaucoup bucks, why not pro athletes as well? They generate a lot of revenue for the promoters of their sport, that's why the promoters are willing to pony up. President Trump made $3 Million in one evening, managing Bobby Lashley at Wrestlemania. But his appearance drew money to Vince McMahon in PPV and ticket purchases, so he was happy to cut a check to The Donald.

Hey ... stupid people ... just one Dodgers/Yankees World Series ... that's all MLB needs ... [ka'ching] ... Ohtani pays for himself, selling Dodger Blue ...

The Dodgers wouldn't be paying $700M if they didn't think they'd be getting billions upon billions themselves ... that's the cable bill you're paying ... just keep paying ... shit for programming but you'll get your Dodger Blue everyday ...

the payments to sports players have reached a ridiculous level, and the fans are paying for it. It needs to stop. boycotts are the only way to get their attention.
You guys have boycotted everything under the sun in the last 10 years.

You’ve left the footprint of an ant.

This guy signed for $700 million on a 10 year contract.

Why? As we've seen with the Yankees, Red Sox, and Dodgers, spending a crap ton of money doesn't win you championships on a consistent basis.
Just look at the Diamondbacks this year. If they had won the World Series, that may have been the end of the high paying baseball players days. :)

You guys have boycotted everything under the sun in the last 10 years.

You’ve left the footprint of an ant.
It's not about boycotting as much as the powers of TV transmissions not loosening their rules. Let the person who wants Cable TV to start this process, pick their basic channels. So, sports networks will go higher, much higher for those who want it. As the resources reduce the huge contracts the networks sign for sports will reduce also. We can do it for all channels. There ar epeople who watch a lot of the old TV show channels. The pseudo news channels are maddening. If you want FOX only, then pick it and no others forced on you. We pay for what we want. Not what is bundled and forced on us.

Not me. I quit attending pro-sports. No, I don't think they will miss my money but I'm still not contributing.

It's not that it's bad for the players to get their share as opposed to the owners, it's that the kids that live near the stadium can't afford to go.

Would I have been as big of a fan if I had never been able to actually attend a game? Likely not.

Ohtani was already making $70M per year with the Angels. That's $30M per year salary plus $40M in endorsements.
Now with the Dodgers he will easily (with deferments) make $100 million per year.

The Dodgers are making money too​

No player in the sport generates revenue like Ohtani. He sells tickets and jerseys, and opens the door to new Japanese sponsors and fans. According to the Los Angeles Times, Ohtani made the Angels $10 million to $20 million a year in advertising, marketing, and whatnot. The Dodgers, a more global brand that outdrew the Angels by nearly 15,000 fans per game in 2023, figure to make substantially more in Ohtani-related revenue. There's a reason they invested $700 million in him. They expect him to generate multitudes more for them.

Last year NHK paid $3M for TV rights so Japan could watch Ohtani play. Now with him in a Dodger uniform, who knows what someone would pay.

Last edited:
I don't go to MLB or NFL games for two reasons.

First of all both of them have become woke as hell. Even MLB has queer appreciation games at all but one of the teams. We all saw the filthy ass NFL Negros act like horses asses and we see them play the goddam Black Anthem at games.

Second of all it simply cost too much to go to the games because the expenses are so high. I am not poor but I draw the line at paying $80 for a ticket, $20 for parking, $15 for a hot dog and another $10 for a drink just so they can pay a player $700,000,000. It is just not good value for the money.

Soccer players don't do too poorly and nobody complains about them:

AthleteSportContract ValueContract TermAverage
Shohei OhtaniBaseball$700 million10 years$70M/year
Cristiano RonaldoSoccer$536 million2.5 years$214.5M/year
Patrick MahomesFootball$450 million10 years$45M/year
Karim BenzemaSoccer$436 million2 years$214.5M/year
Mike TroutBaseball$426 million12 years$30.4M/year
Canelo AlvarezBoxing$365 million5 years$73M/year
Mookie BettsBaseball$365 million12 years$30.4M/year
Aaron JudgeBaseball$360 million9 years$40M/year
Manny MachadoBaseball$350 million11 years$31.8M/year
Francisco LindorBaseball$341 million10 years$34.1M/year

The careers of most athletes tend to be shorter than... say... a stockbroker so if some dumbass wants to pay them an unGODLy amount off money, why would they refuse it...

More power to them.

Last edited:

The careers of most athletes tend to be shorter than... say... a stockbroker so if some dumbass wants to pay them an unGODLy amount off money, why would they refuse it...

More power to them.
Lionel Messi @ $674M is now #2 highest paid.

Big money contracts don’t always pay off in WINS.

Recently:
Pujols, Trevor Story, Chris Sale, Krissy bryant, Stanton, Anthony Rendon, Strausberg,……need I go on?

they say owners areny stupid with finance or would not be wealthy enough to buy a team. I’m not so sure? NFL also.

TB STL ,SF, HOU, SEA….some teams seem to get more and have less big contracts? SF HOU STL KC at least win titles. PITT CIN OAK get a good young player, gone soon.

as mentioned above, to go to a game. 5-6 hours with travel. $25-$50 parking, $100 ticket, $100 junk food, long lines, sharing armrest with a LW kook perhaps? Loud music, trick sounds, safety netting, bad calls censored off the replay. It can be a mess.

I don't go to MLB or NFL games for two reasons.

First of all both of them have become woke as hell. Even MLB has queer appreciation games at all but one of the teams. We all saw the filthy ass NFL Negros act like horses asses and we see them play the goddam Black Anthem at games.

Second of all it simply cost too much to go to the games because the expenses are so high. I am not poor but I draw the line at paying $80 for a ticket, $20 for parking, $15 for a hot dog and another $10 for a drink just so they can pay a player $700,000,000. It is just not good value for the money.
Nobody will miss you.

More power to them.

That’s been the line forever. A guy making $50K avg over 20 years grosses $1Million. These guys get $1million signing bonus. 6 mo job. All expenses paid 100%. Most of us could retire on the first bonus check. They get free medical 5 yrs after playing in the NFL. Its not like a job working 10-12 hours in a factory or other.

Forum List

Back