Baseball great Bill Buckner dead at 69

An unfortunate way to be remembered for eternity. I always remind people the game was tied, there was no guarantee the Red Sox win anyways.

RIP

Very true
A wild pitch advanced the runners
Calvin Schiraldi was just awful

Buck was a very good hitter who will only be remembered for his error
Another Fred Merkel

He wasn’t just a good hitter, he was tremendous. Only Pete Rose had more hits than him in the 70’s and 80’s

The Mets probably win that game regardless of that ball going through his legs.

I remember that classic 23-22? game at Wrigley (won by PHI on a Long 2 out Schmidt HR) where Buckner & Kingman had 13RBI between them?
Good LH stroke his whole carreer.

An unfortunate way to be remembered for eternity. I always remind people the game was tied, there was no guarantee the Red Sox win anyways.

RIP

Very true

Another Fred Merkel

He wasn’t just a good hitter, he was tremendous. Only Pete Rose had more hits than him in the 70’s and 80’s

This stat puts it in perspective how hard it is to get to 3000 hits. He had the second most hits for two decades and he still fell shy of 3000.

When I was in the car espn radio was talking about how Mookie Wilson befriended him after that era. Mookie was always a class act.

RIP

Very true

Another Fred Merkel

No, he had gotten past that. When he returned to throw out the first pitch back in 08, he received an uproarious ovation from the toughest but most savvy fans in baseball.

That demon was put to rest. He will be remembered as the gritty, consistent player he was for so long.

RIP

Very true

Another Fred Merkel

No, he had gotten past that. When he returned to throw out the first pitch back in 08, he received an uproarious ovation from the toughest but most savvy fans in baseball.

That demon was put to rest. He will be remembered as the gritty, consistent player he was for so long.

He was even able to make fun of it on his cameo on Curb Your Enthusiasm

RIP

Very true

Another Fred Merkel

Maybe he truly got over it after years of being terrorized by so many. However, he will always be remembered for it, long after we are gone, as unfair as it is.

RIP

Very true

Another Fred Merkel

I will always remember him as a cubbie

61373052_2502534683103724_6679417574054166528_n.jpg

I remember that classic 23-22? game at Wrigley (won by PHI on a Long 2 out Schmidt HR) where Buckner & Kingman had 13RBI between them?

It's been a long time since I heard the name Kingkong, I went to a few of those games that year

RIP

Very true

Another Fred Merkel

Maybe he truly got over it after years of being terrorized by so many. However, he will always be remembered for it, long after we are gone, as unfair as it is.

Yep, first time I heard of his passing, ESPN? played that ground ball clip and said "most remembered"....like they rushed to be first or something?

It's been a long time since I heard the name Kingkong, I went to a few of those games that year

Yeah I remember that game now...

Following the season, Buckner was traded to the Chicago Cubs with Iván DeJesús and Jeff Albert for Rick Monday and Mike Garman. He had suffered a staph infection in his ankle in 1976, so the Cubs shifted him to first base, where he remained for the final fourteen years of his career.

Whereas early indications seemed to lean toward the Dodgers getting the better end of this deal, with Monday becoming one of the key centerpieces of the Dodgers clubs that went to the 1977 and 1978 World Series, Buckner soon emerged as something of a star for the beleaguered Cubs. During his career in Chicago, he batted over .300 four times, leading the league in 1980 at .324, and was the Cubs' sole representative at the 1981 Major League Baseball All-Star Game.[11] On May 17, 1979, in a famous slugfest at Wrigley Field that included three homers by Dave Kingman and two by Mike Schmidt, Buckner went four-for-seven with a grand slam and seven RBIs.[12]When manager Herman Franks resigned late in the 1979 season, he made negative comments about several players, including calling Buckner "nuts."[13]

I cheated. I had heard maddog sports dicusssing it a few times. Wind blowing out. PHI blew three huge leads. Schmidt homered with two outs in tenth....I remember that. I guess CHI unable to score last inning. But I do remember the game and Kingman, Buckner. Kingman had 3 HR, 6 RBI.

Last edited:

I cheated. I had heard maddog sports dicusssing it a few times. Wind blowing out. PHI blew three huge leads. Schmidt homered with two outs in tenth....I remember that. I guess CHI unable to score last inning.

I forgot about that trade, I was pissed about Monday, he was my hero when I was a kid, I always played 2nd base

RIP

I have no idea why there was no defensive replacement for the very-poor fielding but good-hitting Buckner. It was the 9th inning ffs. RIP

Odubel Herrera got arrested in Atlantic City for beating up his gf in other sports news. He was batting .222 with 1 HR. His season and probably his career is kaput. Phillies need to play Scott Kingery anyway.

Phillies outfielder Odubel Herrera placed on administrative leave following arrest for suspected domestic violence

Forum List

Back