CDZ Ban Tobacco But Legalize Marijuana?

jwoodie

Platinum Member
Aug 15, 2012
I don't want to offend anyone, but it seems like we are pursuing contradictory goals. Does anyone actually believe that smoking marijuana is significantly more healthful than smoking tobacco?

What do you mean by "significant"?

I could make a strong argument that smoking cannabis is less unhealthy than smoking tobacco, but I think you'll find that the people who argue for legalizing marijuana are not the same people who argue for "banning" tobacco. Personally, I think cannabis and tobacco should both be legal.

Ban smoking of any substance where it creates a hazard to children, people with lung diseases, or those of us who want to sit in a restaurant or a bar without some selfish asshole blowing smoke into the air we breathe. /thread

I always thought it was ironic in some strange way they didn't blink an eye to 2nd hand reefer smoke for waitresses.

I don't want to offend anyone, but it seems like we are pursuing contradictory goals. Does anyone actually believe that smoking marijuana is significantly more healthful than smoking tobacco?

Yes. Everyone who is informed on the subject.

I don't have any major issues with banning smoking in restaurants and bars (although I wouldn't mind a bar I could smoke in).

But I see no reason why I or anyone else should be stopped from smoking in my own home.

This applies to both tobacco and cannabis.

i think that both should be legal, and regulated very similarly.

Weed is far less harmful then tobacco. It has no nicotine and none the other harmful poisons. Plus, it makes your hot dogs taste lot better.

Weed is far less harmful then tobacco. It has no nicotine and none the other harmful poisons. Plus, it makes your hot dogs taste lot better.

Nicotine is not a health problem. It is all the "other harmful poisons" that "weed" shares with tobacco. It took hundreds of years to determine that smoking tobacco causes serious health issues. Weed won't take that long.

Nicotine is not a health problem. It is all the "other harmful poisons" that "weed" shares with tobacco. It took hundreds of years to determine that smoking tobacco causes serious health issues. Weed won't take that long.

So do you want to ban tobacco and weed?

Or treat them the same?

I could make a strong argument that smoking cannabis is less unhealthy than smoking tobacco, but I think you'll find that the people who argue for legalizing marijuana are not the same people who argue for "banning" tobacco. Personally, I think cannabis and tobacco should both be legal.
Really because I see a lot of the same people doing both of those things - wanting to make pot legal while being on the warpath about people smoking in public.

The same government up here that is trying to kill the e-cigarette business is also trying to expand pot. It is nonsensical.

Really because I see a lot of the same people doing both of those things - wanting to make pot legal while being on the warpath about people smoking in public.

The same government up here that is trying to kill the e-cigarette business is also trying to expand pot. It is nonsensical.

I'm speaking of people, not "governments". The hypocrisy of politicians is indisputable, but irrelevant to what I'm saying.

And the more that I think about it, you're likely correct that many people do support both legalizing weed and banning smoking in public. But the thing is - those two positions are not actually contradictory. As I said earlier in this thread, I have no problems with public and private restrictions on smoking, whether we're talking about tobacco or cannabis. I respect any businesse's right to decide whether they want people to smoke or not - and I respect the various levels of government's rights in determining where in public one can smoke, even as a smoker.

I just want to be able to smoke both cannabis and tobacco in the privacy of my own home. (Actually, I'd love to quit smoking cigarettes, but it's fucking difficult)...

I'm speaking of people, not "governments". The hypocrisy of politicians is indisputable, but irrelevant to what I'm saying.

And the more that I think about it, you're likely correct that many people do support both legalizing weed and banning smoking in public. But the thing is - those two positions are not actually contradictory. As I said earlier in this thread, I have no problems with public and private restrictions on smoking, whether we're talking about tobacco or cannabis. I respect any businesse's right to decide whether they want people to smoke or not - and I respect the various levels of government's rights in determining where in public one can smoke, even as a smoker.

I just want to be able to smoke both cannabis and tobacco in the privacy of my own home. (Actually, I'd love to quit smoking cigarettes, but it's fucking difficult)...
And I would agree with that stance - you should be able to smoke whatever you want on private property - but I have seen both the political move on the left to ban smoking form anywhere they can (and that includes your own home) while the same group pushes legalizing pot.

The other side is no more or less hypocritical in fighting the ever growing smoking restrictions but also fighting to keep pot illegal.

So do you want to ban tobacco and weed?

Or treat them the same?

I wouldn't ban any of it. If people want that crap, they can have it.

people tend to act like sheep, people have been smoking tobacco & pot for ever. Good idea warning people of the health hazards.(smoke at your own risk)
the anti smoke screen, blame smoke for everything. while big money pollutes our air water and soil.

Forum List

Back