Baja Arizona

Ravi

Diamond Member
Feb 27, 2008
Hating Hatters
It will be interesting to see if Baja Arizona is successful at becoming its own state.

I wish them luck. I'd love to see South Florida as its own state. The loss of tax revenue from the liberals in the southern end of the state would wipe out the rest of Florida.

:thup:

TUCSON, Arizona (Reuters) - A long-simmering movement by liberal stalwarts in southern Arizona to break away from the rest of the largely conservative state is at a boiling point as secession backers press to bring their longshot ambition to the forefront of Arizona politics.

A group of lawyers from the Democratic stronghold of Tucson and surrounding Pima County have launched a petition drive seeking support for a November 2012 ballot question on whether the 48th state should be divided in two.

The ultimate goal of the newly formed political action committee Start our State is to split Pima County off into what would become the nation's 51st state, tentatively dubbed Baja Arizona.

Liberals in southern Arizona seek to form new state - WPMT

:eusa_eh:

It will be interesting to see if Baja Arizona is successful at becoming its own state.

I wish them luck. I'd love to see South Florida as its own state. The loss of tax revenue from the liberals in the southern end of the state would wipe out the rest of Florida.

Didn't Key West once attempt to secede as the Conch Republic or something? :lol:

I don't think they have a chance at all.
It is a bunch of Dems whining about Repubs policies.
Tucson's city government, mostly Dems, have really messed up with their policies and many Tucson residents are really upset with them.

Didn't Key West once attempt to secede as the Conch Republic or something? :lol:
Yeah...but they're just a bunch of nuts down there.

What an elitist you are.

BTW, this is the same attitude the Southerners had.

What an elitist you are.

How is stating the truth elitist?

What an elitist you are.

Actually, it is the much more conservative Panhandle where there is most talk of becoming an independent state.

How hypocrytical.

Are you one of the nuts that bitched that TX wanted to leave the union?

but are now ok with nut jobs breaking up states.

I think it's a great idea, otherwise. And I will laugh my fukkin ass off when the entitlment class moves from the personnal responibilty side to the 'free money = love' side and Baja AZ goes under faster than a bowling ball in boiling water.

Good fences make good neighbors...
:cool:
Arizona aims to build border fence
May. 17, 2011 - New law allows it but requires private donations, landowners' OK
Arizona no longer has to wait for the federal government to finish building a fence along the Mexico border. A new law that goes into effect July 20 allows the state to build the fence itself, as long as it can raise enough private donations and persuade public and private landowners to let them do it on their property. Now, state officials have to figure out how to get it done. No other state has tried such a tactic. Sen. Steve Smith, R-Maricopa, who sponsored the legislation, will meet with Gov. Jan Brewer's staff today to start discussing logistics.

Much of the Arizona border is federal or Indian-reservation land, with small portions belonging to private landowners. Smith said he would talk to the governor's staff today about asking for permission to build the fence within the federal government's 60-foot easement along the border. But Smith said after President Obama's comments last week that the border fence is "now basically complete," he doesn't expect help from that administration. "That's an insult and a lie," Smith said. "Look at what constitutes a fence: two sticks and barbed wire throughout a large portion of the border in Arizona."

State lawmakers who supported the measure have said they want a consistent fence along the entire border that is solid, consists of multiple layers and is tall enough to keep out pedestrians. Arizona's southern border is about 370 miles long. About a third of that, mostly in the western part of the state between Yuma and Nogales, does have the type of fence lawmakers want. But the rest has either no fencing or has fencing, designed to keep out vehicles, that is a few feet tall and made of barbed wire or wood posts.

"People will say fences don't really work, but talk to Yuma," Smith said, explaining that most of the illegal immigrants now flow into the eastern part of Arizona between Nogales and New Mexico. "To have true security, you'll want ground radar and more manpower, but a fence is a great impediment." Brewer spokesman Matthew Benson said the governor has been frustrated with the pace of construction of the federal border fence and supported this law's policy. "There are potentially hurdles involved," Benson said. "But if enough private donations come in, this can be something that is a step in the right direction."

Read more: Arizona aims to build border fence

re: Florida ... I must strenuously disagree here.

N. Florida like parts of New Hampshire is proudly ignorant and self reliant and content to live in squalor. It's called 'tradition'

I don't think they have a chance at all.
It is a bunch of Dems whining about Repubs policies.
Tucson's city government, mostly Dems, have really messed up with their policies and many Tucson residents are really upset with them.

Tucson is doing a hell of a lot better than Phoenix is...

How hypocrytical.

I think it's a great idea, otherwise. And I will laugh my fukkin ass off when the entitlment class moves from the personnal responibilty side to the 'free money = love' side and Baja AZ goes under faster than a bowling ball in boiling water.

Texas wanted to leave the united states...that is not what is happening here.

How hypocrytical.

Texas wanted to leave the united states...that is not what is happening here.

So it's ok to rip apart a state b/c you don't like living with an opposing majority.

That's the equivalent of taking your ball and going home cuz no one else wants to play your game.

Like I said; hypocrytical

Forum List

Back