Bain Capital did not shut down the steel mill in the lying advertisement

NONE of you have posted the part of the mans statement that is a lie yet?

why?

It's right in my OP. How did you miss it?

Here from the link again a quick synopsis of the lies.

Point-by-point, the one minute ad contains omissions, deceptions or outright lies:

Romney did not close the steel mill
Bain Capital's investment did not shut down GST Steel
Mrs Soptic did not lose her healthcare because her husband lost his job
Mrs Soptic died five years after the plant shut down

Read more: Deception revealed in Obama attack ad that blames Mitt Romney for woman's cancer death | Mail Online

Deal with it TM :D Busted!

Republicans Cheer Texas Death Penalty at GOP Debate - YouTube

this add wasnt written with black heart cons in mind

And anti abortion ads aren't written with black heart libs in mind. That's not what the threads about TM.

Start your own thread on "black heart cons". This thread is about a campaign that lies, an ad that is out and out a lie and the man in the commercial actually lies about his poor dead wife all to make sure Obama gets re-elected. Oooooooooooooooh that's cold.

NONE of you have posted the part of the mans statement that is a lie yet?

why?

It's right in my OP. How did you miss it?

Here from the link again a quick synopsis of the lies.

Point-by-point, the one minute ad contains omissions, deceptions or outright lies:

Romney did not close the steel mill
Bain Capital's investment did not shut down GST Steel
Mrs Soptic did not lose her healthcare because her husband lost his job
Mrs Soptic died five years after the plant shut down

Read more: Deception revealed in Obama attack ad that blames Mitt Romney for woman's cancer death | Mail Online

Deal with it TM :D Busted!

Go get the clip where he says what you claim.

I dont see it there

the word he is not in that sentance
Oh.. Damn... Sorry. I guess I was trying to make it make some sense.

Who's "we"?

The peope like ME who wanted the public option.
I don't know anybody like you... You have to be the most confusing person on these boards.

How does that tie into anything that I said about it's bullshit about what Obama AND Mitt did?

quit playing stupid because you made a mistake
Quit trying to derail my point.

Edit: Although honestly I see where you are coming from now. I am one of those people a part of "we" you speak of IF government is going to get involved. The government fining or taxing someone because they aren't buying a for profit service will screw up shit so badd.... It literally creates "too big to fail" corporations. Which essentially fails on all kinds of levels of a free market.

Last edited:
did the guy lose his job ?

quit pretending mitt was not a corporate raider

How many years did the investors keep this man from losing his job?

go get your own info

Don't be disingenuous.

If not for the investments made in the company this man worked for he would have been without a job YEARS before he was.

Contrary to your demented belief, investors can't forever keep a company solvent.

They’ve been talking about this Kansas City GST plant closing for some time, implying that it was Bain’s heartless profit motive that drove it to close and cost all those employees their jobs. However, information from the quarterly statement, Form 10-Q filed with the SEC tells a little different story:

FORM 10-Q
QUARTERLY PERIOD ENDED SEPTEMBER 30, 2000
Page 15
Capital expenditures increased to $19.9 million for the nine months ended September 30, 2000 from $12.9 million in the same period of 1999, principally due to increased expenditures at the Kansas City facility.
It seems odd that this “vampire” capitalist was investing so much money in retooling at the KC plant when all they wanted to do was “suck the life out of them,” doesn’t it? This was only months before the closing.

Maybe there were more logical, economic reasons (from the same quarterly report):

FORM 10-Q
QUARTERLY PERIOD ENDED SEPTEMBER 30, 2000
Page 7
The Company continues to incur net losses, primarily at its two steelmaking facilities in the United States related to continued depressed sales prices for its products in the United States resulting from high levels of lower priced imports of wire rod, which continue at record levels despite the tariff rate quota protection system approved by the President of the United States in February 2000. Slow downs and mine closures within the U.S. mining industry have also negatively affected demand and sales prices of grinding media produced by the Company at its Kansas City facility. Additionally, the Company's Kansas City facility continues to incur higher than normal manufacturing costs resulting from very high electricity prices and a longer than anticipated start-up after the shut down in the current quarter for capital improvements. Given these factors, the Company's Kansas City facility is currently operating with negative cash flows which, if not remedied, could impact the long-term viability of this facility.
Hmmmmm. The Wall Street Journal had this to say in May of this year:

GST is a tragic tale, though in a different way. The real story of GST is that of a private-equity firm trying to spark some life into a uncompetitive, over-unionized industry. Bain's crime here—if that's what you call it—was giving a dying steel plant an unexpected eight-year lease on life.
Strassel: Vampire Capitalism? Please - WSJ.com

The National Review printed the below e-mail from a reader as part of a news story/article; it is hard to tell whether it was vetted or fact-checked, but in these days of accusing someone from the Senate floor based entirely on hearsay, I’ll post it for what it’s worth. The plant did experience a strike in 1997, of that much I’m sure.
A reader who used to work at GST e-mails some context about the union situation there:
I nearly choked on my Cheerios when I read that GST employees were blaming Bain for their downfall. I worked at GST Steel in Kansas City for four months in 1997 immediately after leaving the Navy.
Why only four months? Quickly after I started, I surprised to learn that several of my fellow USW Local 13-represented employees, mostly millwrights and electricians, were making between $100-130k. This was mainly due to union-mandated overtime which, at least on a few occasions, consisted of the employees bringing in sleeping bags and pillows and sleeping in the shop. It would be hard for any company to stay competitive while paying double-time union wages to get their beauty sleep, but that’s not the half of it. The union employees obviously didn’t think they had it easy enough, so they went on strike in March of ‘97. The plant shut down for a couple of weeks until it re-started under the operation of management and non-union workers. The strike lasted a couple more months. I had a family to support, so I couldn’t afford to wait. I took another (non-union) job with another company. They shuttered the plant for good a few years later.
That’s Bain’s fault? Just classic.
New Obama Attack Ad Features Steelworkers Blaming Bain for Job Losses - By Katrina Trinko - The Corner - National Review Online

Customers not buying a company's services and products causes employees to lose their jobs.
No company ever does that.

Customers not buying a company's services and products causes employees to lose their jobs.
No company ever does that.
I agree.

Wouldn't it be smart to have a consumption tax rather than a corporate one?

Forum List

Back