Baghdad's ballet school: a tiny island of creativity amid inescapable violence

Sally

Gold Member
Mar 22, 2012
This is wonderful for children to still be able to do this in a war-torn country.

Though the Iraqi capital’s past as a cultural center is a distant memory, the music and ballet school has remained a cultural safe haven for its 500-odd students

339328e0-798c-4b47-a87f-af81eb6f3f94-620x372.jpeg

Students practice at the Baghdad School of Music and Ballet. The school has managed to survive decades of turmoil, a feat that speaks to the resilience of the city’s residents. Photograph: Khalid Mohammed/AP
Associated Press in Baghdad

Thursday 20 November 2014 16.43 EST
Ann Khalid did not feel well but she insisted on dancing a brief scene from Tchaikovsky’s Swan Lake with her classmates. The 12-year-old is determined to one day have a career dancing and teaching ballet – not an easy path in a country torn for years by conflict.

“My school and my church are the two things I love the most in Baghdad,”Khalid, in her black leotard and white ballet shoes, said with pride after the dance.

If she has a shot at her dream, it’s because of the Baghdad School of Music andBallet.

The school has managed to survive decades of turmoil, a feat that speaks to the resilience of Baghdad’s residents through war after war. The Iraqi capital’s past as a middle east center of culture is a distant memory, but the school has carved out a tiny island of creativity amid the violence that is an inescapable part of daily life and the religious conservatism that now defines it..

Continue reading at:

Baghdad s ballet school a tiny island of creativity amid violence World news The Guardian?

This is wonderful for children to still be able to do this in a war-torn country.

Though the Iraqi capital’s past as a cultural center is a distant memory, the music and ballet school has remained a cultural safe haven for its 500-odd students

339328e0-798c-4b47-a87f-af81eb6f3f94-620x372.jpeg

Students practice at the Baghdad School of Music and Ballet. The school has managed to survive decades of turmoil, a feat that speaks to the resilience of the city’s residents. Photograph: Khalid Mohammed/AP
Associated Press in Baghdad

Thursday 20 November 2014 16.43 EST
Ann Khalid did not feel well but she insisted on dancing a brief scene from Tchaikovsky’s Swan Lake with her classmates. The 12-year-old is determined to one day have a career dancing and teaching ballet – not an easy path in a country torn for years by conflict.

“My school and my church are the two things I love the most in Baghdad,”Khalid, in her black leotard and white ballet shoes, said with pride after the dance.

If she has a shot at her dream, it’s because of the Baghdad School of Music andBallet.

The school has managed to survive decades of turmoil, a feat that speaks to the resilience of Baghdad’s residents through war after war. The Iraqi capital’s past as a middle east center of culture is a distant memory, but the school has carved out a tiny island of creativity amid the violence that is an inescapable part of daily life and the religious conservatism that now defines it..

Continue reading at:

Baghdad s ballet school a tiny island of creativity amid violence World news The Guardian?

That's awesome! Thanks so much for sharing this. :)

Those are christian girls doing the ballet not muslim girls. ...... :cool:

It's wonderful, and there are also boys that attend the school. It says no where whether these are Christian or Muslim children. It's nice that at least some of the children get to participate in activities that aren't related to hate, violence or religion.

Forum List

Back