For THESE Marines, Iraq A Frustrating Fight

Discussion in 'Middle East - General' started by NATO AIR, Oct 10, 2004.

1. NATO AIR

NATO AIR Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +282
    an interesting look at one group of young Marines in Iraq. They make some good points that you'd expect from young devil dawgs who just want to kick the ass that has to be kicked and be done with it. Notice I highlight THESE marines, because this is just one group's views and experiences, not the entire Marine view.

2. wade

wade Guest

Ratings:
    +0
    I know Steve (I've met him a couple of times and have very close friends in his family). He's about as conservative a reporter as you're going to find who does not have an agenda. If he's filing a report like this, things must be worse than I'd thought. He'd try to report the war in as favorable a light as possible if he could.

His family has been quite concerned about him going to Iraq, he has a wife and a couple of young kids. About the time he left for Iraq, his brother went to cover the Olympic games in Athens - it was a very stressful time for both their familes.

Wade.

3. jimnyc

jimnyc ...

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +246
    Sure, toss out the words of our President, the interim leader of Iraq, and thousands of military men and women - and take the word of a reporter of all people as gospel. :rolleyes:

4. Comrade

Comrade Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +167
    You've got to be kidding, there is so much spin on this story against the basis for war you'd have to be French to believe the author isn't setting out to explicitly use his selective quoting and otherwise unquoted opinions on what they were 'supposed' to have said to distort the opinion we know the troops statistically have, which is to support the war and believe in victory.

Funny how every single interview gets a single sentence or two of mention as long as it shows a distinct anti-war bias.

Oh that's pathetic. I mean millions of regular people paid almost $100 to even attend one event, and this brother of his is, like, supposed to be a hero to take the risk of covering it? I can respect going to Iraq, even if it was to interview what appears to be only coalition forces on base. Hell, I'd do that.

But the risk of covering the Olympic games is one I'd scoff at. Imagine being able to simply be there to see it unfold, how many would leap at the chance.

Are either one a hero? No.

Is this an incredibly biased report from a reporter with an agenda? Yes.

5. drowe

drowe Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +35
    War is nasty and despicable. One does not have to look far to find the bad points of war. But, there are good things that do sprout from the most horrendous of mankind’s traits. These are the stories that the media is too narrow minded or lazy to give a speck of attention to and those that do report it get overruled by directing editors who have their head stuffed up their turd cutter.

I have encouraged everyone that I know who does time in the sandbox to send emails home to be posted here and other places so the real stories can be heard. Tomorrow I’ll post the email I got from my friend who was in Fallujah, I don’t have it now (he sent to my work email).

6. NATO AIR

NATO AIR Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +282
    I won't defend the reporter, i know nothing about him.

i will defend what the marines said though. i notice a very disturbing trend in quite a few posters on the board who feel anything outside of the official line presented by the white house is anthema to truth. this is not only idiotic, it is dangerous. we have to know the truth of what is happening over there so we can know what to do. if our civilian leaders are screwing up, we need to know so we can call them on it and pressure them to get it right. our troops deserve better leadership than what they've gotten over the past two years in iraq. we've talked about this, a good amount of it has to do with the dems waiting in the wings to pounce on anything bush changes or attempts, but that doesn't excuse the kind of screwups that have been going on. yes, pres. bush and co. have a very tough job in iraq, but its one they themselves have made more difficult with bad decisions on too many occasions. would kerry do a better job? hell no. that's why i'm sticking with bush and just hoping the leadership gets better on iraq.

do i want bush to lose? no. do i want there to be drastic improvement in the leadership around him? hell yes. rumsfield, rice and co. have been botching this deal from day one on too many occasions. iraq is a mess because of their screwups, not our troops.

you claim the report is biased, but i see real, understandable frustration with the marines here. maybe not everybody has the problems they do, but what they're saying often makes sense. if i was getting shot at and rocketed everyday by a faceless insurgency, i would be mad as hell and frustrated. if i was ready to take fallujah then got told to stand down, i would be mad as hell. if i was unable to kick the ass i wanted to kick because of PC politics, i would be mad as hell.

i tend to doubt things are as bad as the marines here claim it is, but i'm probably gonna put more salt in what they're saying over what some folks back home safe in the USA are saying. We're not the ones getting attacked daily, they are. We're not over there, they are.

then the final kicker, you folks act like "being on base" in iraq means they're safe and don't have to worry about attacks. hell, the most heavily defended area in iraq (the green zone) still has weekly terror attacks. this is not quantico or beaufort, this is a real deal base in the midst of the enemy that faces daily assaults and/or attacks.

• Thank You! Thank You! x 1
  7. NATO AIR

NATO AIR Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +282
    and yes, there is good news in iraq. i've posted on here about that too. but things are not the rosy picture the white house is claiming. its somewhere in the middle, as the truth usually is.

8. Merlin1047

Merlin1047 Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +450
    I tend to be suspicious of anything from MSNBC.

Having said that, I believe that the sentiments expressed by this particular marine are genuine. In fairness to the reporter, he did state that the sentiments expressed probably do not reflect those of the majority. However, unless soldiers are allowed to do the job for which they are trained, we are going to find an ever increasing level of frustration among those serving in Iraq.

Pres. Bush has fallen into the trap of trying to fight a bloodless, politically correct war during this election year. Our troops probably feel like baby sitters for a pack of homicidal kiddies. They were sent to Iraq to rid the country of terrorists and of Saddam. Now they find themselves at the mercy of politicians. They see their enemy allowed to wriggle out again and again as the politicians get suckered by false cease fire agreements which only serve to allow insurgents to rearm and regroup.

As in Viet Nam, the damn government needs to GET THE HELL OUT OF THE WAY. If we're going to fight, then let's get on with it. If we're not going to do that, then bring the troops home.

9. NATO AIR

NATO AIR Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +282
    amen! stop this PC nonsense or stop the war, because the status quo is not gonna win the day.

(oh and merlin its actually a washington post article (could be even worse to ya) that is linked on MSNBC)

10. drowe

drowe Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +35
    Amen brother!!! :clap: