Bacon wrapped Turkey?

Okay, had bacon wrapped turkey for Thanksgiving. The bacon isn't all that edible after roasting. Also we used a syrup like baste and it meant no turkey gravy. Basically you ruin good bacon and don't have gravy. Lose lose in my opinion.

I don't think I would like bacon on my turkey. I like both but not together. Besides, I like my bacon super crispy and that is not going to happen on a bird loaded with bacon like that. Probably not very healthy either. :D

It looks a bit unappetizing to me for some reason.

Stick a tomato and head of lettuce up its butt and you will have an open faced turkey club sandwich ;)

Lol! Gee, thanks for the pro health tip! :D

My pleasure. I wouldn't want to discourage you from wasting two pounds of bacon and two hours of honing your weaving experience a little rusty since 6th grade art class with wrapping your birds up in aluminum full until cooked and then browning them at the finish instead.

I don't think I would like bacon on my turkey. I like both but not together. Besides, I like my bacon super crispy and that is not going to happen on a bird loaded with bacon like that. Probably not very healthy either. :D

Stick a tomato and head of lettuce up its butt and you will have an open faced turkey club sandwich ;)

My pleasure. I wouldn't want to discourage you from wasting two pounds of bacon and two hours of honing your weaving experience a little rusty since 6th grade art class with wrapping your birds up in aluminum full until cooked and then browning them at the finish instead.

Usually when I make a turkey, I use one of those cooking bags. Those seem to work pretty well. The turkey is always really tender and moist.

Usually when I make a turkey, I use one of those cooking bags. Those seem to work pretty well. The turkey is always really tender and moist.

The plastic lowers your sperm count whereas the aluminum foil just gives you Alzheimer's so you forget what sex was when you are too old for it ;)

I also have one of those turkey roaster things that does really well with turkey though I never bother with it unless I need to crank out multiple chickens.

The plastic lowers your sperm count whereas the aluminum foil just gives you Alzheimer's so you forget what sex was when you are too old for it ;)

I also have one of those turkey roaster things that does really well with turkey though I never bother with it unless I need to crank out multiple chickens.

I'm a girl, so I'll use the plastic! :lol:

Turkey roaster thing? Do you mean a rotisserie? Yum! Rotisserie chicken is delicious! :)

Turkey roaster thing? Do you mean a rotisserie? Yum! Rotisserie chicken is delicious! :)

Those things you sit on the counter Rival 20-Pound Turkey Roaster with Capacity Maximizer - Walmart.com

Those things you sit on the counter Rival 20-Pound Turkey Roaster with Capacity Maximizer - Walmart.com

Oh, so it's kind of like a slow cooker. Cool! I don't think I've seen one of those before.

Oh, so it's kind of like a slow cooker. Cool! I don't think I've seen one of those before.

They are cool. The one I have you can put water in it and it has an insert where you can keep three pans warm to serve out of like a mini steam table used in cafeterias. You just have to be sure put some water in them when you are roasting or they will dry the thing out and stink up your whole house when the drippings scorch. I like using the regular oven for turkey. The roaster I have you can put a couple big chickens in or several game hens. It is a PITA to clean though because it is way to big for the dishwasher or the sink.

Well I'm gonna do the champagne Turkey this year, this is my first time doing a turkey myself so I want to do something simpler before I move on to the bacon wrapped stuff lol.

My family always does seafood on Christmas Eve which is when we have our Christmas dinner so that those who want to go hunting can do so on Christmas Day. Not everyone can always get off on other days so it is the only day of the year there can be a guaranteed big family hunt.

As with turducken and other mixed meat dishes, I have a problem with it. :) Isn't it then just Spam if you're mixing meats together?

I was just thinking the juice from the bacon mixed with the turkey would be outstanding.

It would be. That is one reason I like crisp fried bacon on cold turkey or chicken sandwiches, with mayo and lettuce. Yum. Bacon adds great flavor to so many things, including basting a roast in the oven, with bacon drippings. Every 20 minutes.

But wouldn't cooking that bacon-wrapped turkey in the oven make for a very greasy, splattering mess??

As with turducken and other mixed meat dishes, I have a problem with it. :) Isn't it then just Spam if you're mixing meats together?

I was just thinking the juice from the bacon mixed with the turkey would be outstanding.

It would be. That is one reason I like crisp fried bacon on cold turkey or chicken sandwiches, with mayo and lettuce. Yum. Bacon adds great flavor to so many things, including basting a roast in the oven, with bacon drippings. Every 20 minutes.

But wouldn't cooking that bacon-wrapped turkey in the oven make for a very greasy, splattering mess??

I also think it would be kind of difficult to cook the bacon just right. It could easily be overcooked and probably even undercooked because turkey is so juicy. I can see either burnt or big soggy slabs of bacon on the turkey if I tried that. :lol:

My family always does seafood on Christmas Eve which is when we have our Christmas dinner so that those who want to go hunting can do so on Christmas Day. Not everyone can always get off on other days so it is the only day of the year there can be a guaranteed big family hunt.

We always have Italian. My mother is making a nice lasagna meal for us on Christmas Eve. :)

Of course, I show up early to help her though.

I've always had a garbage disposal and have always dumped grease down the drain. Never had a problem.

not surprising, Chris----it is not really the grease that cause
a problem to the pipes. You have probably heard of the word SAPONIFICATION. Its a reaction between a lipid and an alkali -------SOAP is made by combining fats (grease, lipid) and lye. Grease in a drain pipe gets lots of alkalis thrown at them and actually end up being saponified. ----its the FIBER in food scraps that cause problems in drains----if any occur----also hair.
Breaking keratin down is a bitch. -----my mom taught me to pour grease into an empty tiin can and place in the garbage---
she was so damned meticulous. Today cans should be clean and in the recycle bin

I also think it would be kind of difficult to cook the bacon just right. It could easily be overcooked and probably even undercooked because turkey is so juicy. I can see either burnt or big soggy slabs of bacon on the turkey if I tried that. :lol:

Wouldn't the bacon drippings in the pan be pure heaven tho? thats what I was thinking about.

bacon-wrapped-turkey.jpg

Anyone gonna give this a go? I'm thinking of trying it this year.

Normally, I'm 100% in favor of bacon wrapping any all all food stuffs, but I make an exception for turkey. The main reason to cook turkey is to make stuffing and gravy, with the former being a platform for enjoying the delicious gravy.

The flavor of bacon would overwhelm the gravy, so, no bacon wrapped turkey chez boe.

Forum List

Back