Bacon wrapped Turkey?

I shot a whitewing in LA last year.

First one I ever say.

Seems they are spreading their range.

We also have European ring tailed doves now, big suckers, and there is no limit on them.

Yeah ... Where I live (in Louisiana) we border the white wing migration through Texas ... Seeing more every year.

The picture of doves above was out of Juarez, Mexico though ... And it is great when you can shoot a pile and someone else cleans them.

Meet Elvis ...

I would not go into Mexico or Somalia for all the farms in Cuba.

I hear Argentina is the place to bird hunt.

I know what you are saying, but I am an experienced world traveler. I like a lot of places other people wouldn't go ... And maybe for that reason. One of my favorite places for great times, good diving or snorkeling and awesome food is Roatan, Honduras.

Edit:
You probably won't find a bacon wrapped turkey in Roatan.

Last edited:

I know what you are saying, but I am an experienced world traveler. I like a lot of places other people wouldn't go ... And maybe for that reason. One of my favorite places for great times, good diving or snorkeling and awesome food is Roatan, Honduras.

I was a world traveller too.

That is why I stay home.

That, and I still have not seen all the cool places in the GOUSA.

I was a world traveller too.

That is why I stay home.

That, and I still have not seen all the cool places in the GOUSA.

I have travelled most of the United States except Alaska, Minnesota, Wisconsin and Illinois. The food really sucks above the Mason-Dixon Line ... Except maybe white fish in a brown paper bag at the Commodore's Table (if it is still there) on Lake Champlain outside of Burlington, Vermont.

I could see slipping a few strips of bacon under the skin on the breast just to keep things moist but a whole turkey covered in it? No thanks.
I stopped cooking whole turkeys and whole chickens a long time ago unless it's in a deep fryer.
I remove the leg/thigh as one piece and start em first. Once they reach around 100 degrees I put on the breast.
While you can safely eat dark meat at 165 it doesnt develop flavor and texture until it hits 175 at which point your white meat is dry and tasteless.
And white meat is truly at it's best when you pull it at 155 anyway.

I could see slipping a few strips of bacon under the skin on the breast just to keep things moist but a whole turkey covered in it? No thanks.
I stopped cooking whole turkeys and whole chickens a long time ago unless it's in a deep fryer.
I remove the leg/thigh as one piece and start em first. Once they reach around 100 degrees I put on the breast.
While you can safely eat dark meat at 165 it doesnt develop flavor and texture until it hits 175 at which point your white meat is dry and tasteless.
Domestic turkey sucks, I only cook it because the kids expect it.

Paid out the ass for a "natural" turkey that was not a Butterball injected turkey.

Damned thing was all fat, and sucked.

I am through with domestic turkey.

Paid out the ass for a "natural" turkey that was not a Butterball injected turkey.

The key to good poultry is brining.
I'll brine say a 14 lb bird for 36 hours. You just have to make sure it's a fresh never frozen bird with out any added shit like the butterball.

The thing that freaks me out is it use to take a minimum of 15 hours to smoke a 14 lb bird at around 240 degrees.
Now you can do that same turkey in 6 hours at the same temp.
Somethings up with that and you can bet it aint good....

Some city had an article that after Thanksgiving , they have to go out and clean pipes, lots of calls about clogged pipes. I can't believe people throw grease down sinks anyway, pour it in a coffee can and let it harden and then say thank you that it is not in me! :eek:(and throw it in the garbage)

regarding plumbing----fat is not the main culprit in clogging
pipes-----fat is easy----it can be easily dissolved ----it is the FIBER----like hair etc Fats are a VITAL component of
the nutritional requirements of humans-----and not all fats
harden at room temperature (you have the audacity to
claim you are a health care provider?)----how does thanks- giving end up with lots of "fat waste"? Turkeys are not particularly fatty. I never experienced such a problem

you have no alternative to an injected Butterball.? sheeeesh---you live on the moon?

Some city had an article that after Thanksgiving , they have to go out and clean pipes, lots of calls about clogged pipes. I can't believe people throw grease down sinks anyway, pour it in a coffee can and let it harden and then say thank you that it is not in me! :eek:(and throw it in the garbage)

pipes-----fat is easy----it can be easily dissolved ----it is the FIBER----like hair etc Fats are a VITAL component of
claim you are a health care provider?)----how does thanks- giving end up with lots of "fat waste"? Turkeys are not particularly fatty. I never experienced such a problem

Me neither but I don't throw fat down my drain, if I ha

I know who would think, not me, but then again I don't put my grease down the drains. Then I came across this article:
(Reuters) - Thanksgiving is a royal pain in the U.S. drain.
Thanksgiving means turkey dinners, family gatherings and football. For household drains and aging sewers across the United States, it means a lot of grease going down the pipes - and into the sewers.
"The day after Thanksgiving is the perfect storm for us," :eek:said Paul Abrams, a spokesman for Roto Rooter, the biggest U.S. plumbing and drain cleaning service. "We have all hands on deck."

The number of calls to the company's 7,000 plumbers and drain experts that day jumps 50 percent over a normal Friday. Calls go up by a fifth over the four-day Thanksgiving weekend, Abrams said.
Thanksgiving is especially stressful for household drains.

Cooks, sometimes inexperienced, overload garbage disposals with potato peelings, pumpkin pulp and other food waste. They fail to use enough water to flush them down the pipes, then put cooking grease and oil in the mix.

Thanksgiving grease cooks up plumbing disasters Reuters

yes----a MIX of fiber and grease in large amounts----is a disaster for plumbing

bacon-wrapped-turkey.jpg

Anyone gonna give this a go? I'm thinking of trying it this year.

Never seen that much bacon on a bird before, but Dear Mom would always top the bird with bacon and the the kids would fight over the bacon when the bird came out.

Loved it

I don't think I would like bacon on my turkey. I like both but not together. Besides, I like my bacon super crispy and that is not going to happen on a bird loaded with bacon like that. Probably not very healthy either. :D

It looks a bit unappetizing to me for some reason.

I have a very low opinion of garbage disposal machines in sinks----garbage should end up in the dump----not the pipes

I've always had a garbage disposal and have always dumped grease down the drain. Never had a problem.

true-------Penelope needs SOMETHING (anything) about which to fart. The thanksgiving PIPES issue is ------
*******NON ISSUE*********
we got bigger problems on planet earth

I've always had a garbage disposal and have always dumped grease down the drain. Never had a problem.

be careful of spoons-----in case you have some silver------and ---be careful of your fingers-----with a child in my house (long
ago) I had mine disabled-----the kid I had would have figured
out a way to stick his little hand in there and turn it on

true-------Penelope needs SOMETHING (anything) about which to fart. The thanksgiving PIPES issue is ------
*******NON ISSUE*********
we got bigger problems on planet earth

Lol! Well some people like to save their grease and use it for cooking, especially bacon grease. Have you ever had a grilled cheese sandwich cooked in bacon grease? OMG, it is heavenly yet sinful. :lol:

I don't think I would like bacon on my turkey. I like both but not together. Besides, I like my bacon super crispy and that is not going to happen on a bird loaded with bacon like that. Probably not very healthy either. :D

Stick a tomato and head of lettuce up its butt and you will have an open faced turkey club sandwich ;)

Stick a tomato and head of lettuce up its butt and you will have an open faced turkey club sandwich ;)

Lol! Gee, thanks for the pro health tip! :D

Forum List

Back