Backups

Flopper

Diamond Member
Mar 23, 2010
Washington
Do you backup your computer? If so;
What kind of software do you use?
Do you backup to a cloud or to a local drive?
I plan to set up backups on several computers not on the same network. I was just wondering what other people do.

Never.

Only ever needed to back up my computer when it was business related and we never required any special software or setup so a few portable drives worked fine for important files. These days back ups are generally pointless as anything important enough should be hosted rather than backed up locally as that allows not only access anywhere at anytime no matter what but also works even if your house burns down with your computers in it. A good way to keep things like digital photos that you do not want to lose of all your important records.

Short of enterprise solutions, why would you want to back a computer up anymore?

I was gonna back up my computer but the DMV told me I didn't have the back up warning sound on mine...........

I use FreeFileSync onto an external drive. -> FreeFileSync

Used it for several years, basically the same as Linux RSync.
I have needed to pull files off of the backup numerous times over the years and have never had the first problem.
The main value is Full backups take a long time.
With FreeSync - you do that full backup only once. After that, it will quickly compare files and only backup files that are new and/or newer modified date on the same file. You can set it to delete the old backup file if it was modified, or keep it.

I use FreeFileSync onto an external drive. -> FreeFileSync

Used it for several years, basically the same as Linux RSync.
I have needed to pull files off of the backup numerous times over the years and have never had the first problem.
The main value is Full backups take a long time.
With FreeSync - you do that full backup only once. After that, it will quickly compare files and only backup files that are new and/or newer modified date on the same file. You can set it to delete the old backup file if it was modified, or keep it.
will it do an image backup so if the hard disk crashes, the computer can be booted and the disk image restored to a new disk

I plan to set up backups on several computers not on the same network. I was just wondering what other people do.
I have a custom built home computer with Linux on it that has a RAID solution for fault tolerance. If one hard disk fails, I still can rely on the others. I also backup important files or just store important files on NAS (Network Area Storage). I also have an online cloud solution I can backup files to as well.

was a storage engineer Do you backup to a cloud or to a local drive?
iI plan to set up backups on several computers not on the same network. I was just wondering what other people do.
I was a storage engineer during the latter part of my career. One of my responsibilities was enterprise level backup and recovery. Our backup strategy was to do full backups every weekend to tape and send a copy offsite for disaster recovery. Incremental backups happened every week night and were stored locally on NAS storage. We used NetBackup at the time. Since I retired, the company has gone fully to solid state backups.

For my home computers, I just backup critical files to an external drive periodically. In the past, I have gone from floppy disks, to Travan tape drive, to CD, to DVD, to USB thumb drives, to an external SSD drive. I can't count the number of times I've had to use backups to restore critical data that someone mistakenly deleted.

Never.

Only ever needed to back up my computer when it was business related and we never required any special software or setup so a few portable drives worked fine for important files. These days back ups are generally pointless as anything important enough should be hosted rather than backed up locally as that allows not only access anywhere at anytime no matter what but also works even if your house burns down with your computers in it. A good way to keep things like digital photos that you do not want to lose of all your important records.

Short of enterprise solutions, why would you want to back a computer up anymore?
Whether you backup to a cloud or local storage, you probably need some kind of backup software. I wouldn't say everyone needs a backup solution but everyone who values their computer and what it does needs a backup. I think a good backup is like a time machine that lets you go back before your computer would not boot, before the virus struck, before you accidently deleted that all important document or that photo album.

The first thing you find out when you have no usable computer is how little you remember about what was on that computer, a couple of hundred pieces of music that you downloaded from somewhere, some pictures from your mothers family, a list of passwords you use to access websites, receipts for software you bought. Before you can recover what is lost you usually have know what was lost. However, with a good backup you can restore your entire computer at a point in time you select so everything is restored to that point before the problem.

A couple of months ago I had a computer that would not boot. I probably could have fixed it in a day so but instead I chose to restore the computer from my backup drive. I inserted a bootable emergency recovery USB drive in my computer and booted it. It asked for my backup drive so I mounted my portable USB backup drive. I click on a few icons and 45 mins latter my computer was exactly as it was at my last backup, the day before.

BTW today you can backup everything to cloud storage for few dollars a month, well maybe a little more and then won't need a local backup storage. So you if accidently delete something, or computer won't start, you can restore to the last backup point. Even if your house burns down or your computer is stolen, you still can restore everything to your new computer.

A good backup program can save you a lot time and money when that old computer gremlin decides to take a dump in your computer.

I was a storage engineer during the latter part of my career. One of my responsibilities was enterprise level backup and recovery. Our backup strategy was to do full backups every weekend to tape and send a copy offsite for disaster recovery. Incremental backups happened every week night and were stored locally on NAS storage. We used NetBackup at the time. Since I retired, the company has gone fully to solid state backups.

For my home computers, I just backup critical files to an external drive periodically. In the past, I have gone from floppy disks, to Travan tape drive, to CD, to DVD, to USB thumb drives, to an external SSD drive. I can't count the number of times I've had to use backups to restore critical data that someone mistakenly deleted.
When doing consulting work I used Acronis True Image Backup. It was a bit award to set up but once set up it worked flawlessly. I got an email if a backup failed which was quite rare. It was also pretty fast. I could backup a 100 gig in in 30 mins to hour depending on the speed of the computer. For the home user it is a bit of an overkill but I still run it because it works so well. I have done a number of standalone restores and never had a problem

I got a program called EasyUSBackup. I got it on a free trial. It was pretty easy to setup and seems to work ok but the image backup restore was bit complicated and since the company offered no tech support, I will stay with what has proven to work well. I never like taking chances with backup software because when you need it, you often really need it to work.

I just have a second ssd that periodically I plug into my computer and drag all my files, documents, music, etc on to like a giant stick drive and it goes into my safe so regardless of what happens to the PC I always have a totally separate back up where all I have to do is just reinstall windows and then copy it back.

I also keep a 64gb flash drive plugged in the back of the pc I do more frequent backups to.

I don't trust backup software as it is possible to corrupt copies as it writes. And no cloud backups because your dependent on the internet and the cloud server to be accessible when you need it

When doing consulting work I used Acronis True Image Backup. It was a bit award to set up but once set up it worked flawlessly. I got an email if a backup failed which was quite rare. It was also pretty fast. I could backup a 100 gig in in 30 mins to hour depending on the speed of the computer. For the home user it is a bit of an overkill but I still run it because it works so well. I have done a number of standalone restores and never had a problem

I got a program called EasyUSBackup. I got it on a free trial. It was pretty easy to setup and seems to work ok but the image backup restore was bit complicated and since the company offered no tech support, I will stay with what has proven to work well. I never like taking chances with backup software because when you need it, you often really need it to work.
It was getting really crazy around the time I retired. We had close to 30 tape libraries (robots with around a dozen LTO-6 tape drives each) in our local data center backing up several Petabytes of data. We had a crew of techs doing nothing but managing all the tapes and maintaining the equipment. We always seemed to have open support cases with Veritas for various backup issues. Yeah, reliable software and good support are key ingredients for backup and recovery. Thank goodness it is much simpler for a home user.

Forum List

Back