Attempts to Roll Back Marriage Equality since the Trump Election.

The constitution is already respected.

Georgian couples can get married in Georgia.

Where does the federal constitution say marriage laws are covered by the feds?

Feel free to read Loving v. Virginia and find out.

Not applicable. allowing two people of the same sex to marry is such a radical change to the concept of marriage, that it can not be considered constitutionally "equal".t.

Either marriage laws are covered by the constitution or they are not.

Make up your mind.
According to the Constitution they are not.
Equal protection under the law is most certainly covered. You don't seem to understand much about constitutional law, but I already knew that about you.

Americans do have protections from government intrusion into our sex lives, and we also have a right to marriage.

Despite your ardent wishes that the government should regulate our sex lives, and ban marriages between consenting adults.
And, kids have a right to have marriage..

No- actually kids don't have a right to marriage- which is why your kids ended up with divorced parents.

Americans have a right to marriage. Children hopefully will have parents who care about them- and yes- hopefully their parents will be allowed to marry.

You want to harm the children of gay parents by preventing their parents from marrying.

Curious how homosexual parents HAVE children.
They don't. They have taken them from someone else.
Ignorant bigoted bovine excrement as I have pointed out many times before

You agreeing with me?? You started out by calling me crazy and you just did it again. What exactly do we agree on.

I didn't say that I was "the final arbiter of what is the acceptable" Or anything of the kind. What I am saying is that most people who are part of human society agree on certain thing such as how we treat other people.

In addition, I never said that "gay sodomy" has nothing to do with gay rights. You might want to look up Lawrence V. Texas. I am saying that how people have sex has nothing to do with the issue of marriage. With me so far??

Regarding economics.....I did your homework for you. Unlike many here, I never say anything that I can't back up:

8 Ways Legalizing Same Sex Marriage Is Good For The Economy | The Huffington Post

The Economic Benefits of Gay Marriage

Same-Sex Marriage Economic Benefits for the U.S. · Guardian Liberty Voice

Far left Progressive sources to support your weak opinion.

ProgressivePatriot...an oxymoron at best.
Oh Christ not that again. Any original or creative thoughts going on between those ears?

While Trump himself has been pretty quiet on the subject of same sex marriage and LGBT rights in general, we know that he has surrounded himself with some of the most opprobrious bigots - both religious and those that are just far right-or alt right -ideologues and hate mongers.

There was the recent report - a resulted from a leak from the White House- that an executive order was being drafted to overturn Obamas EO prohibiting discrimination against Federal LGBT employees and contractors. If put in front of Trump, the lazy and incurious plutocrat might have mindlessly signed it. Fortunately, Jerod and Ivanka Kushner- two of the few rational and decent people on his inner circle interceded and it was quashed.

Nevertheless, the knowledge of the anti gay forces lurking in the White House, have , apparently ,emboldened ideological bigots and religious zealots across the country to take new aim at marriage equality.

There are at least three attempts in progress to do so. All have been launched since the election, and I can't help but to believe that they have been inspired and encouraged by the reactionary forces that have gained power and influence recently. No doubt that the prospect of tipping the balance of the Supreme Court is also a factor. Consider:

Tennessee Bill Would Undo Marriage Equality
A bill making its way through the Tennessee state legislature aims to roll back marriage equality in the Volunteer State. But LGBT advocates say the legislation is an unconstitutional attempt to overrule the U.S. Supreme Court.
Tennessee Republican Rep. Mark Pody, who claims God has called him to stop same-sex marriages, introduced House Bill 1412, the Tennessee Natural Marriage Defense Act, last September. At the same time, Sen. Mae Beavers, also a Republican, introduced companion legislation in the Senate.

This is really stupid and unconstitutional is light of the Obergefell ruling. What are these people thinking and do they not have anything better to do? Are there not some actual problems to address that they will spent time, money and energy on this??

As written, the bill seeks to declare it "the policy of Tennessee to defend natural marriage between one man and one woman regardless of any court decision to the contrary." It requires state officials, including the attorney general, to "defend any state or local government official from any lawsuit" arising from an official's refusal to marry a same-sex couple. The bill also seeks to prevent state and local agencies from implementing any punishment for those violating the Supreme Court's June 2015 ruling that mandated legal marriage equality nationwide.

They cannot possibly get away with this unless they can get Obergefell and Windsor overturned, and that is not happening. Similarly, the City of Houston is trying to undermine the right of same sex partners of city employees to recieve spousal benefits, also in violation of Obergefell:

Amid GOP Pressure, Texas High Court to Hear Challenge to Spousal Benefits

The Texas Supreme Court Friday agreed to hear a case challenging some of the rights gained with marriage equality.
The case involves whether the city of Houston is obligated to provide benefits to same-sex spouses of city employees, The Dallas Morning News reports. In September the high court had declined to hear the case, but justices reversed that decision amid pressure from top Republican state officials, including Gov. Greg Abbott, Lt. Gov. Dan Patrick, and Attorney General Ken Paxton.

Then we have this out of Arkansas.
Seriously, Arkansas? Even Trump Knows Same-Sex Marriage Is Done Deal
Guys, you aren’t actually going to even believe this. There are still people trying to get rid of same-sex marriage. If you’re all, “didn’t we already fight about this a long time ago?” you’d be right. Except that news apparently hasn’t hit Arkansas just yet. One of its esteemed legislators just filed a Senate Joint Resolution requesting the United States Congress to start working on a Constitutional Amendment defining marriage as the “union of one man and one woman.” How positively late-90s of him.

Yes, it is unlikely to go anywhere, and even congressional Republicans know that it is unpopular and a colossal waste of time. However, the point is, as I have said, that there has been a flurry of this type of activity since the election. Does anyone deny the obvious connection given that fact that no such attempts to roll back marriage equality in the 18 months or so since the Obergefell ruling were introduced until now.??

Hillary Clinton was staunchly against gay marriage in her past.....does that mean if Trump appointed her she would be counted among your alt-right hatist?

Idiot.
I don't believe that either Clinton or Obama was ever staunchly against gay marriage. They are politicians and ten, twelve years ago it would have been political suicide to publicly support marriage equality. However, they didn't shamelessly hobnob with these homophobes and bigots like Trump does. Obama did not stack the White House with religious zealots.
I voted for Trump and I am offended that you are using hate speech directed at my president and at me.

Get it through YOUR thick head: You don't get to bully people by labeling them racist, bigots, or whatever other epithet your puny brain can conjure.
I told you troll, get out of my face. Telling the truth is not hate speech.
You are not telling the truth. You are using libelous epithets that mischaracterizes people. I don't know why you feel the need to be so hateful. But you need to knock it off. Trump supporters are not racists, homophobes, bigots, nativists, or whatever else you deem fit to call them.

Where does the federal constitution say marriage laws are covered by the feds?

Not applicable. allowing two people of the same sex to marry is such a radical change to the concept of marriage, that it can not be considered constitutionally "equal".t.

Make up your mind.
Equal protection under the law is most certainly covered. You don't seem to understand much about constitutional law, but I already knew that about you.
Please tell me where marriage is mentioned in the Constitution. You know that people are denied the right to marry on a daily basis. The government does not satisfy rights by supplying marriage partners. Millions of people have to live without a partner no matter how desperately they want one.

Make up your mind.
Please tell me where marriage is mentioned in the Constitution. You know that people are denied the right to marry on a daily basis.

Feel free to read either Loving v. Virginia or Obergefell to get educated on Marriage rights in America.

While Trump himself has been pretty quiet on the subject of same sex marriage and LGBT rights in general, we know that he has surrounded himself with some of the most opprobrious bigots - both religious and those that are just far right-or alt right -ideologues and hate mongers.

There was the recent report - a resulted from a leak from the White House- that an executive order was being drafted to overturn Obamas EO prohibiting discrimination against Federal LGBT employees and contractors. If put in front of Trump, the lazy and incurious plutocrat might have mindlessly signed it. Fortunately, Jerod and Ivanka Kushner- two of the few rational and decent people on his inner circle interceded and it was quashed.

Nevertheless, the knowledge of the anti gay forces lurking in the White House, have , apparently ,emboldened ideological bigots and religious zealots across the country to take new aim at marriage equality.

There are at least three attempts in progress to do so. All have been launched since the election, and I can't help but to believe that they have been inspired and encouraged by the reactionary forces that have gained power and influence recently. No doubt that the prospect of tipping the balance of the Supreme Court is also a factor. Consider:

This is really stupid and unconstitutional is light of the Obergefell ruling. What are these people thinking and do they not have anything better to do? Are there not some actual problems to address that they will spent time, money and energy on this??

They cannot possibly get away with this unless they can get Obergefell and Windsor overturned, and that is not happening. Similarly, the City of Houston is trying to undermine the right of same sex partners of city employees to recieve spousal benefits, also in violation of Obergefell:

Yes, it is unlikely to go anywhere, and even congressional Republicans know that it is unpopular and a colossal waste of time. However, the point is, as I have said, that there has been a flurry of this type of activity since the election. Does anyone deny the obvious connection given that fact that no such attempts to roll back marriage equality in the 18 months or so since the Obergefell ruling were introduced until now.??

Hillary Clinton was staunchly against gay marriage in her past.....does that mean if Trump appointed her she would be counted among your alt-right hatist?

Idiot.
I don't believe that either Clinton or Obama was ever staunchly against gay marriage. They are politicians and ten, twelve years ago it would have been political suicide to publicly support marriage equality. However, they didn't shamelessly hobnob with these homophobes and bigots like Trump does. Obama did not stack the White House with religious zealots.
I voted for Trump and I am offended that you are using hate speech directed at my president and at me.

Get it through YOUR thick head: You don't get to bully people by labeling them racist, bigots, or whatever other epithet your puny brain can conjure.
. Trump supporters are not racists, homophobes, bigots, nativists, or whatever else you deem fit to call them.

Some are racists, homophobes, bigots, nativists and other things.

Most probably aren't.

But you certainly can't deny that some are.

Not if you ever read any post by Steve McGarret here at USMB.

Tennessee Bill Would Undo Marriage Equality
A bill making its way through the Tennessee state legislature aims to roll back marriage equality in the Volunteer State. But LGBT advocates say the legislation is an unconstitutional attempt to overrule the U.S. Supreme Court.
Tennessee Republican Rep. Mark Pody, who claims God has called him to stop same-sex marriages, introduced House Bill 1412, the Tennessee Natural Marriage Defense Act, last September. At the same time, Sen. Mae Beavers, also a Republican, introduced companion legislation in the Senate.

As written, the bill seeks to declare it "the policy of Tennessee to defend natural marriage between one man and one woman regardless of any court decision to the contrary." It requires state officials, including the attorney general, to "defend any state or local government official from any lawsuit" arising from an official's refusal to marry a same-sex couple. The bill also seeks to prevent state and local agencies from implementing any punishment for those violating the Supreme Court's June 2015 ruling that mandated legal marriage equality nationwide.

Amid GOP Pressure, Texas High Court to Hear Challenge to Spousal Benefits

The Texas Supreme Court Friday agreed to hear a case challenging some of the rights gained with marriage equality.
The case involves whether the city of Houston is obligated to provide benefits to same-sex spouses of city employees, The Dallas Morning News reports. In September the high court had declined to hear the case, but justices reversed that decision amid pressure from top Republican state officials, including Gov. Greg Abbott, Lt. Gov. Dan Patrick, and Attorney General Ken Paxton.

Seriously, Arkansas? Even Trump Knows Same-Sex Marriage Is Done Deal
Guys, you aren’t actually going to even believe this. There are still people trying to get rid of same-sex marriage. If you’re all, “didn’t we already fight about this a long time ago?” you’d be right. Except that news apparently hasn’t hit Arkansas just yet. One of its esteemed legislators just filed a Senate Joint Resolution requesting the United States Congress to start working on a Constitutional Amendment defining marriage as the “union of one man and one woman.” How positively late-90s of him.

Idiot.

Here at USMB we can indeed speak out mind- and call Trump whatever we want to. You to, within broad limits.

You do realize that Trump does exactly this though all the time- labeling people in his tweets- 'bullying' them.

Make up your mind.
Please tell me where marriage is mentioned in the Constitution. You know that people are denied the right to marry on a daily basis. The government does not satisfy rights by supplying marriage partners. Millions of people have to live without a partner no matter how desperately they want one.

Who is not entitled to marry in the US unless already married or not of age??

Idiot.

You are not telling the truth. You are using libelous epithets that mischaracterizes people. I don't know why you feel the need to be so hateful. But you need to knock it off. Trump supporters are not racists, homophobes, bigots, nativists, or whatever else you deem fit to call them.

Why did you vote for him and even the GOP.

Gays don't want equality. They want specialiality with the right of veto over anything they don't like. What they don't like are people who refuse to live their own lives according to their own decisions.
Utter nonsense. They want the same right to marry the person they love, just like straight folks.

And why on Earth do you give a shit that they now have that same right?

Gays don't want equality. They want specialiality with the right of veto over anything they don't like. What they don't like are people who refuse to live their own lives according to their own decisions.
Utter nonsense. They want the same right to marry the person they love, just like straight folks.

i don't care. If they want to involve me in their lives then I care. They drag the baker, the photographer, the florist and others into their marriage. Keep it to yourself. A couple sued me, they didn't get away with it, but they tried to force me into painting a wedding portrait. I did not want to be dragged into their marriage and was able to successfully fend them off.

Leave people alone, then you will find your "rights" more easily defended.

Americans do have protections from government intrusion into our sex lives, and we also have a right to marriage.

Despite your ardent wishes that the government should regulate our sex lives, and ban marriages between consenting adults.

No- actually kids don't have a right to marriage- which is why your kids ended up with divorced parents.

Americans have a right to marriage. Children hopefully will have parents who care about them- and yes- hopefully their parents will be allowed to marry.

You want to harm the children of gay parents by preventing their parents from marrying.

Well if women opted for abortions instead of carrying for full term only to give their babies up for adoption, there would be no babies for gays to take.

Well if women opted for abortions instead of carrying for full term only to give their babies up for adoption, there would be no babies for gays to take.
Most gays pay someone, a surrogate to have children from them. They are trying to create chimera children too. Little monsters to satisfy themselves as they hump those kids as soon as they get big enough.

Most gays pay someone, a surrogate to have children from them. They are trying to create chimera children too. Little monsters to satisfy themselves as they hump those kids as soon as they get big enough.

God you are such a sick hateful little bastard.

Gays no more 'create' children to 'hump' them than your church does.

What is twisted is that is how your mind thinks.

i don't care. If they want to involve me in their lives then I care. They drag the baker, the photographer, the florist and others into their marriage. Keep it to yourself. A couple sued me, they didn't get away with it, but they tried to force me into painting a wedding portrait. I did not want to be dragged into their marriage and was able to successfully fend them off.

People shouldn't be in a public accommodations business if they don't want to serve the public.

Does anyone believe that anyone would willingly 'hire' a sick bastard like Tipsy to paint anything except maybe an outhouse?

There are more religious Christians humping little kids than there are gays doing that. Perhaps we should ban Christianity too then, huh?

There are more religious Christians humping little kids than there are gays doing that. Perhaps we should ban Christianity too then, huh?
Put the gay kiddie rapists in the Christian kiddie rapists oh yes, the teacher kiddie rapists. The teachers out number them all.

No one wants to ban gays. Just their power to drag the unwilling into their personal sex lives.

Forum List

Back