Attempts to Roll Back Marriage Equality since the Trump Election.

You are a fool to believe this nonsense. "Gay marriage" is here to stay - not because a majority of Americans want it - they don't - but because the workings of our court system make it impossible to turn back the clock. REGARDLESS OF ANYTHING ELSE, both the Federal Government and the states are required unambiguously by the Constitution to give "full faith and credit" to the legal acts of every other state. Therefore, as long as at least one state has "gay marriage" then the Feds and every other state are forced to recognize the institution, and it is pointless to fight it - you will ultimately, definitely lose.

As for discrimination against the [sexually fucked-up] community within the Federal government, it is, as a practical matter, not possible, and no Executive Order or memorandum can change that. And one might also point out that Our Exalted President has no animus whatsoever against the [sexually fucked-up] community, and has never shown any inclination to sign such a document.

Parenthetically and slightly to the contrary, the President and many people on his staff CLEARLY intend to nullify any regulations or executive orders that have the effect of compelling any private business to cater to the wishes of any potential customer whose public behavior is found morally repugnant - public behavior including, for example, getting married to someone of the same gender. And anyone feeling oppressed by this "seller's right" should be slapped and beaten about the head and shoulders until some sense returns to their empty, pathetic, sensitive little souls.

That would require States to recognize licenses issued by other States, but issuing them can still be fought over.

That would be a rather quixotic battle- if Georgia has to recognize Massachusetts marriages, then if Georgia residents would just go to Mass to get married.

Inconvenient for Georgian citizens but Georgia would still have to recognize gay marriages.

The essence of compromise is everyone being disappointed in the end result. Georgia has to recognize out of state marriages as always, but controls who it issues them to.

Georgian SSM opponents are butthurt they have to recognize out of state SSM's, Pro SSM georigans are butthurt that gay georgians would have to travel to get married.

And the constitution is respected overall.

The constitution is already respected.

Georgian couples can get married in Georgia.

Where does the federal constitution say marriage laws are covered by the feds?

Marriage licences are issued by the states. If the couple want a religious or formal marriage, that is up to them.

A priest, a judge, a notary or a neighbor who has filed to officiate can marry a couple.

Does A, Does B, sign on the line, have a good life

. Trump supporters are not racists, homophobes, bigots, nativists, or whatever else you deem fit to call them.

Some are racists, homophobes, bigots, nativists and other things.

Most probably aren't.

But you certainly can't deny that some are.

Not if you ever read any post by Steve McGarret here at USMB.
Sure, some are. And some Dems are dangerous too. I get that.

Most gays pay someone, a surrogate to have children from them. They are trying to create chimera children too. Little monsters to satisfy themselves as they hump those kids as soon as they get big enough.
There are more religious Christians humping little kids than there are gays doing that. Perhaps we should ban Christianity too then, huh?
No one wants to ban gays. Just their power to drag the unwilling into their personal sex lives.

How many times have you been dragged into having gay sex?

You realize at a certain point if you aren't saying no, that speaks for itself.
That is called "rape". LOL

It could be- or it could be Tipsy hanging out 5 nights a week at a gay bar, and going off to have sex after he has had 5 drinks and gets past his personal conflicts until he sobers up.
He....

Hmmmmm

Why "He"?

No one wants to ban gays. Just their power to drag the unwilling into their personal sex lives.

I can't have gay sex. I don't want to be involved in the personal lives of gays. I don't want to go to weddings, go to homes, have them inflict their children on any child I'm responsible for.

Unfortunately there are people that gays can browbeat. That should stop. Let them stay with their friendlies. Why bother others.
It's all the same if you close your eyes.
I don't like sex at all. Maybe if robots get that sophisticated I might change my mind.
Oh wow, so that's your problem!!
It's not a problem. Only men think it's a problem.

Some are racists, homophobes, bigots, nativists and other things.

Most probably aren't.

But you certainly can't deny that some are.

Not if you ever read any post by Steve McGarret here at USMB.

There are more religious Christians humping little kids than there are gays doing that. Perhaps we should ban Christianity too then, huh?

I can't have gay sex. I don't want to be involved in the personal lives of gays. I don't want to go to weddings, go to homes, have them inflict their children on any child I'm responsible for.

Unfortunately there are people that gays can browbeat. That should stop. Let them stay with their friendlies. Why bother others.
I don't like sex at all. Maybe if robots get that sophisticated I might change my mind.
I used to like sex a lot more than I do now. Marriage kind of killed off the desire for awhile. But now I am single and getting all horndogged up again!

You just need motivation. Usually some young chick with tits popping out will do it.

While Trump himself has been pretty quiet on the subject of same sex marriage and LGBT rights in general, we know that he has surrounded himself with some of the most opprobrious bigots - both religious and those that are just far right-or alt right -ideologues and hate mongers.

There was the recent report - a resulted from a leak from the White House- that an executive order was being drafted to overturn Obamas EO prohibiting discrimination against Federal LGBT employees and contractors. If put in front of Trump, the lazy and incurious plutocrat might have mindlessly signed it. Fortunately, Jerod and Ivanka Kushner- two of the few rational and decent people on his inner circle interceded and it was quashed.

Nevertheless, the knowledge of the anti gay forces lurking in the White House, have , apparently ,emboldened ideological bigots and religious zealots across the country to take new aim at marriage equality.

There are at least three attempts in progress to do so. All have been launched since the election, and I can't help but to believe that they have been inspired and encouraged by the reactionary forces that have gained power and influence recently. No doubt that the prospect of tipping the balance of the Supreme Court is also a factor. Consider:

This is really stupid and unconstitutional is light of the Obergefell ruling. What are these people thinking and do they not have anything better to do? Are there not some actual problems to address that they will spent time, money and energy on this??

They cannot possibly get away with this unless they can get Obergefell and Windsor overturned, and that is not happening. Similarly, the City of Houston is trying to undermine the right of same sex partners of city employees to recieve spousal benefits, also in violation of Obergefell:

Then we have this out of Arkansas.
Yes, it is unlikely to go anywhere, and even congressional Republicans know that it is unpopular and a colossal waste of time. However, the point is, as I have said, that there has been a flurry of this type of activity since the election. Does anyone deny the obvious connection given that fact that no such attempts to roll back marriage equality in the 18 months or so since the Obergefell ruling were introduced until now.??

Hillary Clinton was staunchly against gay marriage in her past.....does that mean if Trump appointed her she would be counted among your alt-right hatist?

Idiot.
I don't believe that either Clinton or Obama was ever staunchly against gay marriage. They are politicians and ten, twelve years ago it would have been political suicide to publicly support marriage equality. However, they didn't shamelessly hobnob with these homophobes and bigots like Trump does. Obama did not stack the White House with religious zealots.
I voted for Trump and I am offended that you are using hate speech directed at my president and at me.

Get it through YOUR thick head: You don't get to bully people by labeling them racist, bigots, or whatever other epithet your puny brain can conjure.
I told you troll, get out of my face. Telling the truth is not hate speech.
You are not telling the truth. You are using libelous epithets that mischaracterizes people. I don't know why you feel the need to be so hateful. But you need to knock it off. Trump supporters are not racists, homophobes, bigots, nativists, or whatever else you deem fit to call them.
There is ample evidence that they are in fact that are racists, homophobes, bigots, nativists, or whatever as are his associates and appointees therefor not at all libelous . Do you even have any understanding of who Steve Bannon is?

But really, would it be so bad to have your cock sucked by a dude? I mean, I would not be on the giving end. But if you close your eyes and pretend that it is Erin Burnett, what's the big deal?

That would require States to recognize licenses issued by other States, but issuing them can still be fought over.

That would be a rather quixotic battle- if Georgia has to recognize Massachusetts marriages, then if Georgia residents would just go to Mass to get married.

Inconvenient for Georgian citizens but Georgia would still have to recognize gay marriages.

The essence of compromise is everyone being disappointed in the end result. Georgia has to recognize out of state marriages as always, but controls who it issues them to.

Georgian SSM opponents are butthurt they have to recognize out of state SSM's, Pro SSM georigans are butthurt that gay georgians would have to travel to get married.

And the constitution is respected overall.

The constitution is already respected.

Georgian couples can get married in Georgia.

Where does the federal constitution say marriage laws are covered by the feds?

Marriage licences are issued by the states. If the couple want a religious or formal marriage, that is up to them.

A priest, a judge, a notary or a neighbor who has filed to officiate can marry a couple.

Does A, Does B, sign on the line, have a good life
Have a good life. Get a baker that wants to bake you a cake and a photographer that wants to take your pictures. Only have people at your wedding that want to be there and keep your monster children away from others unless invited.

Hillary Clinton was staunchly against gay marriage in her past.....does that mean if Trump appointed her she would be counted among your alt-right hatist?

Idiot.
I don't believe that either Clinton or Obama was ever staunchly against gay marriage. They are politicians and ten, twelve years ago it would have been political suicide to publicly support marriage equality. However, they didn't shamelessly hobnob with these homophobes and bigots like Trump does. Obama did not stack the White House with religious zealots.
I voted for Trump and I am offended that you are using hate speech directed at my president and at me.

Get it through YOUR thick head: You don't get to bully people by labeling them racist, bigots, or whatever other epithet your puny brain can conjure.
I told you troll, get out of my face. Telling the truth is not hate speech.
You are not telling the truth. You are using libelous epithets that mischaracterizes people. I don't know why you feel the need to be so hateful. But you need to knock it off. Trump supporters are not racists, homophobes, bigots, nativists, or whatever else you deem fit to call them.
There is ample evidence that they are in fact that are racists, homophobes, bigots, nativists, or whatever as are his associates and appointees therefor not at all libelous . Do you even have any understanding of who Steve Bannon is?
Do you?

But really, would it be so bad to have your cock sucked by a dude? I mean, I would not be on the giving end. But if you close your eyes and pretend that it is Erin Burnett, what's the big deal?
Why don't you tell someone who cares what it's like.

While Trump himself has been pretty quiet on the subject of same sex marriage and LGBT rights in general, we know that he has surrounded himself with some of the most opprobrious bigots - both religious and those that are just far right-or alt right -ideologues and hate mongers.

There was the recent report - a resulted from a leak from the White House- that an executive order was being drafted to overturn Obamas EO prohibiting discrimination against Federal LGBT employees and contractors. If put in front of Trump, the lazy and incurious plutocrat might have mindlessly signed it. Fortunately, Jerod and Ivanka Kushner- two of the few rational and decent people on his inner circle interceded and it was quashed.

Nevertheless, the knowledge of the anti gay forces lurking in the White House, have , apparently ,emboldened ideological bigots and religious zealots across the country to take new aim at marriage equality.

There are at least three attempts in progress to do so. All have been launched since the election, and I can't help but to believe that they have been inspired and encouraged by the reactionary forces that have gained power and influence recently. No doubt that the prospect of tipping the balance of the Supreme Court is also a factor. Consider:

Tennessee Bill Would Undo Marriage Equality
A bill making its way through the Tennessee state legislature aims to roll back marriage equality in the Volunteer State. But LGBT advocates say the legislation is an unconstitutional attempt to overrule the U.S. Supreme Court.
Tennessee Republican Rep. Mark Pody, who claims God has called him to stop same-sex marriages, introduced House Bill 1412, the Tennessee Natural Marriage Defense Act, last September. At the same time, Sen. Mae Beavers, also a Republican, introduced companion legislation in the Senate.

This is really stupid and unconstitutional is light of the Obergefell ruling. What are these people thinking and do they not have anything better to do? Are there not some actual problems to address that they will spent time, money and energy on this??

As written, the bill seeks to declare it "the policy of Tennessee to defend natural marriage between one man and one woman regardless of any court decision to the contrary." It requires state officials, including the attorney general, to "defend any state or local government official from any lawsuit" arising from an official's refusal to marry a same-sex couple. The bill also seeks to prevent state and local agencies from implementing any punishment for those violating the Supreme Court's June 2015 ruling that mandated legal marriage equality nationwide.

They cannot possibly get away with this unless they can get Obergefell and Windsor overturned, and that is not happening. Similarly, the City of Houston is trying to undermine the right of same sex partners of city employees to recieve spousal benefits, also in violation of Obergefell:

Amid GOP Pressure, Texas High Court to Hear Challenge to Spousal Benefits

The Texas Supreme Court Friday agreed to hear a case challenging some of the rights gained with marriage equality.
The case involves whether the city of Houston is obligated to provide benefits to same-sex spouses of city employees, The Dallas Morning News reports. In September the high court had declined to hear the case, but justices reversed that decision amid pressure from top Republican state officials, including Gov. Greg Abbott, Lt. Gov. Dan Patrick, and Attorney General Ken Paxton.

Seriously, Arkansas? Even Trump Knows Same-Sex Marriage Is Done Deal
Guys, you aren’t actually going to even believe this. There are still people trying to get rid of same-sex marriage. If you’re all, “didn’t we already fight about this a long time ago?” you’d be right. Except that news apparently hasn’t hit Arkansas just yet. One of its esteemed legislators just filed a Senate Joint Resolution requesting the United States Congress to start working on a Constitutional Amendment defining marriage as the “union of one man and one woman.” How positively late-90s of him.

Yes, it is unlikely to go anywhere, and even congressional Republicans know that it is unpopular and a colossal waste of time. However, the point is, as I have said, that there has been a flurry of this type of activity since the election. Does anyone deny the obvious connection given that fact that no such attempts to roll back marriage equality in the 18 months or so since the Obergefell ruling were introduced until now.??
Quiet ? Trump made himself clear on the subject awhile back. He stated that the issue had already been decided by the SC it was a done deal. But for me marriage is a state level issue not something the Fed should be involved in at all.

I used to like sex a lot more than I do now. Marriage kind of killed off the desire for awhile. But now I am single and getting all horndogged up again!

You just need motivation. Usually some young chick with tits popping out will do it.
Ohhhh I get it. You think I'm a guy.

No.

Oh wow, so that's your problem!!
It's not a problem. Only men think it's a problem.
I almost feel sorry for you, Almost

A bill making its way through the Tennessee state legislature aims to roll back marriage equality in the Volunteer State. But LGBT advocates say the legislation is an unconstitutional attempt to overrule the U.S. Supreme Court.
Tennessee Republican Rep. Mark Pody, who claims God has called him to stop same-sex marriages, introduced House Bill 1412, the Tennessee Natural Marriage Defense Act, last September. At the same time, Sen. Mae Beavers, also a Republican, introduced companion legislation in the Senate.

As written, the bill seeks to declare it "the policy of Tennessee to defend natural marriage between one man and one woman regardless of any court decision to the contrary." It requires state officials, including the attorney general, to "defend any state or local government official from any lawsuit" arising from an official's refusal to marry a same-sex couple. The bill also seeks to prevent state and local agencies from implementing any punishment for those violating the Supreme Court's June 2015 ruling that mandated legal marriage equality nationwide.

The Texas Supreme Court Friday agreed to hear a case challenging some of the rights gained with marriage equality.
The case involves whether the city of Houston is obligated to provide benefits to same-sex spouses of city employees, The Dallas Morning News reports. In September the high court had declined to hear the case, but justices reversed that decision amid pressure from top Republican state officials, including Gov. Greg Abbott, Lt. Gov. Dan Patrick, and Attorney General Ken Paxton.

Guys, you aren’t actually going to even believe this. There are still people trying to get rid of same-sex marriage. If you’re all, “didn’t we already fight about this a long time ago?” you’d be right. Except that news apparently hasn’t hit Arkansas just yet. One of its esteemed legislators just filed a Senate Joint Resolution requesting the United States Congress to start working on a Constitutional Amendment defining marriage as the “union of one man and one woman.” How positively late-90s of him.

Quiet ? Trump made himself clear on the subject awhile back. He stated that the issue had already been decided by the SC it was a done deal. But for me marriage is a state level issue not something the Fed should be involved in at all.
Marriage is a done deal. Now how many lives can the happy couple destroy by dragging the unwilling into their personal lives?

So now Liberals are creating stories to whine about? smh Pathetic.
Creating stories?? What story did I create. Is there something here that is not factual? Fake news?

All marriages are state matters. Feds don't issue the licenses, the states do.

>>Around the 1920’s, there was no such thing as a marriage license. The states invented them as a way to dictate who could and could not get married for the purpose of making sure blacks, whites, Asians and Indians didn’t mix.<<

Marriages were simply registered and you get a certificate, you did not need states permission to get married by applying for license.

Read the Constitution, Read the 14th Amendment, Read Marbury v. Madison and most of all read the majority opinion in Obergefell!! READ!!

Marriage is a done deal. Now how many lives can the happy couple destroy by dragging the unwilling into their personal lives?
Anyone whos life is so easily destroyed, never had a life to begin with

So now Liberals are creating stories to whine about? smh Pathetic.
Creating stories?? What story did I create. Is there something here that is not factual? Fake news?

All marriages are state matters. Feds don't issue the licenses, the states do.

>>Around the 1920’s, there was no such thing as a marriage license. The states invented them as a way to dictate who could and could not get married for the purpose of making sure blacks, whites, Asians and Indians didn’t mix.<<

Marriages were simply registered and you get a certificate, you did not need states permission to get married by applying for license.
Read the Constitution and read the Obergefell decision and get back to us!!

Oh please. People have lost their business, their homes. Yes they have been destroyed over a gay snit.

Tinfoil hat time for the OP. But that is fine if that is what melts his butter. Obviously, OP is a nut, but we should respect him nonetheless. The bizarre thing is that instead of focusing on typical conspiracy stuff (UFOs, Bigfoot, Masons, federal reserve, etc...), OP focuses on gay marriage, which only affects gays, who only make up something like 2-3% of the population. Very weird. .

So you think that I'm a nut?? What is nuts is thinking that gay marriage - and I assume all forms of discrimination against gays- is in your mind only the concern of gays. Is discrimination against racial, ethnic, or religious groups only the concern of those groups? I don't think so. It speaks to the soul and character of the nation. What sort of country and world do you want to live in? Should we really only be concerned about what effects us directly ?

Personally, I don't care if a homo can marry and receive benefits, or not. Marriage is not the gross stuff. The gross stuff is all the gay sodomy. And that will occur regardless. In fact, if their marriages are like heterosexual marriages, then gay marriage will probably reduce the instances of gay sodomy. It does not matter how hot your spouse is because in 5-6 years you are going to be bored and jacking it to hot chicks on The Weather Channel. .

Why bring up sodomy in a discussion about same sex marriage.? Heterosexuals do it too. They do all sorts of things. You seem to take a dim view of marriage and longevity of relationships but that too is irrelevant

I put this gay marriage thing way down on the list of priorities, below national security, economic prosperity, and immigration. We probably should not bother with it until we fix our roads and build the border wall. The gays will be fine. Fact is, we are doing them a favor if we stop letting them get married.
Doing them a favor?? Sounds again like you have some issues. Yes there are other priorities but concern for LGBT rights and advancing those rights does not preclude pursuing other goals. In fact same sex marriage has been good for the economy. It's the jackass republicans who -as I have demonstrated- that spend time trying to thwart gay right and therefore detract from the pursuit of those other goals.
Hey, I am basically agreeing with you. Don't get your panties all in a bunch. First, YOU are not the final arbiter of what is the acceptable "soul and character" of our nation. In fact, you are being unreasonably presumptuous. Not everybody has your sensibilities, and those who do not are not wrong or bad people.

Second, I am utterly perplexed as to why you think that gay sodomy has nothing to do with gay rights. Are you serious? That is pure lunacy. You may want it to, but it does. Duh.

Finally, you assert that gay marriage is good for our economy but fail to support that with any facts. I guess you simply thought that it sounded good.

So, yeah, you qualify as a nut... a big, old fat tin foil hat wearing nut.

You agreeing with me?? You started out by calling me crazy and you just did it again. What exactly do we agree on.

I didn't say that I was "the final arbiter of what is the acceptable" Or anything of the kind. What I am saying is that most people who are part of human society agree on certain thing such as how we treat other people.

In addition, I never said that "gay sodomy" has nothing to do with gay rights. You might want to look up Lawrence V. Texas. I am saying that how people have sex has nothing to do with the issue of marriage. With me so far??

Regarding economics.....I did your homework for you. Unlike many here, I never say anything that I can't back up:

8 Ways Legalizing Same Sex Marriage Is Good For The Economy | The Huffington Post

The Economic Benefits of Gay Marriage

Same-Sex Marriage Economic Benefits for the U.S. · Guardian Liberty Voice

License fees and wedding venues, organizers etc.

It is not about gay weddings, any wedding would do the same

Forum List

Back