Atheists want God out of Ky. homeland security

G-d... as in "In G-d we trust" is fairly generic...

calling upon G-d's help in a homeland security bill?

That's called prayer. And it's a no no.

I realize it will be defeated, but I still don't see the problem. When the Constitution was first written, there was no concept of a secular society. The Founding Fathers recognized this higher power they called God. To me, this is simply a recognition of that. The interpretation of the Constitution has changed over the years because of the courts. I see no reason why Atheists should fear this, but that is their right.

God can be a generic term. It will be for the courts to decide. Frankly, I don't see the problem.

Tell me more about God as a generic term. Generic for what? What if we used Buddha or Allah as generic terms?

Tell me more about God as a generic term. Generic for what? What if we used Buddha or Allah as generic terms?

Actually, this is one point in which Xsited would normally be correct, just not in this case. The word god is a title for "that which is greater." Many improperly use it as a name, but it isn't. Just in this case they were using it as a name.

Because to me, they are synonomous.

They may be synonomous to you, but why would you say that I would consider God a 'higher truth'?

I don't relate to 'God' as he is concieved of by Christians.
Clearly, there are people in the US that think we are or should be a Christian nation.

You STILL don't know where I am do you.

You're in lolipop land. Here's what you said:

So, you don't mind some greedy politician putting a god on the payroll so they can steal more tax money from you?

Who in their right mind would want that? Remember the AIDS thread a couple weeks ago when you didn't agree with my posts so you wished AIDS upon me? You're always going to extremes. That's unhealthy.

Who in their right mind would want that? Remember the AIDS thread a couple weeks ago when you didn't agree with my posts so you wished AIDS upon me? You're always going to extremes. That's unhealthy.

Seattle is in Washington state.

Those are not extremes, though they are very dark which is part of my personality. I grant that I am not healthy, but then anyone who claims to be healthy mentally should be avoided like the plague, we all have demons.

Personal note: Many IRL accuse me of being a "true goth", whatever that means, but I like pink and white too much to dress in all black like them.

Oh, and still, did you figure out where I live yet?

Actually, this is one point in which Xsited would normally be correct, just not in this case. The word god is a title for "that which is greater." Many improperly use it as a name, but it isn't. Just in this case they were using it as a name.

I have mixed feelings about this. In one way, it looks harmless enough to use the wish that with the help of forces beyond those we can convieve of we will be free from harm as a nation.

What is sticky about it, is that it the use of the term God is alienating to some citizens who are not Jews or Christians. It turns into a divisive issue rather than something that can unite us at a time of need.

Considering the attitude then becomes one of 'tough chit' if you protest ther term, it illuminates the confidence that the dominant religions feel in asserting their power.

We live in a plurality.

They may be synonomous to you, but why would you say that I would consider God a 'higher truth'?

I don't relate to 'God' as he is concieved of by Christians.
Clearly, there are people in the US that think we are or should be a Christian nation.

Why? In my study of Eastern Religions, seeking a higher truth is a noble and necessary goal in one's path to enlightenment and self-actualization. To me, this has parallels to the concept of God in Western Religions. I realize that you embrace Buddhism so I was trying to find common ground.

Those are not extremes, though they are very dark which is part of my personality. I grant that I am not healthy, but then anyone who claims to be healthy mentally should be avoided like the plague, we all have demons.

Personal note: Many IRL accuse me of being a "true goth", whatever that means, but I like pink and white too much to dress in all black like them.

Oh, and still, did you figure out where I live yet?

My question was rhetorical. I do not want to know where you live.

I have mixed feelings about this. In one way, it looks harmless enough to use the wish that with the help of forces beyond those we can convieve of we will be free from harm as a nation.

What is sticky about it, is that it the use of the term God is alienating to some citizens who are not Jews or Christians. It turns into a divisive issue rather than something that can unite us at a time of need.

Considering the attitude then becomes one of 'tough chit' if you protest ther term, it illuminates the confidence that the dominant religions feel in asserting their power.

We live in a plurality.

Which is the one point that the people of a majority religion normally fail to see. Many terrorist groups (not all) are started for that very reason, yet they fail to make the connection or try to avoid it. Using such restrictive terms does create division in a bad way.

Forum List

Back