Atheism is a religion of self-worship

In other words, the only true position to have is to be an agnostic: there's no empirical proof of god, but we're leaving the door open if anyone ever finds any, but for now, there doesn't appear to be any god...

That's not what agnosticism means

Hey can any of you PROVE that Unicorns don't exsist?
Actually, classical unicorns do exist. Originally, the myth of the unicorn was of a single-horned goat, not horse (the horse version of the story came later). It is a known condition in some goats for the horns to fuse together and grow as one....

Man took the reality f this anomaly, and ignorance and superstition took over... Then, of course, they found the Norwal and started selling ts horns to ignorant Europeans and yeah...

The tooth fairy?
One can see a tooth faerie on the far left of the screen, almost out of frame....

704818657_64f9a4fa50.jpg

You can find a registry of known tooth faerie dens here

A couple people have commented on this sig-line so I thought I'd start a thread about it.

What do you think I mean by this? (pos reps given for sincere efforts, right or wrong. :D)

Discuss.

Well, you might think that if someone does not worship a supernatural God then they must worship themselves.
I would disagree, and say Atheists do not believe in the supernatural, but that does not necessarily mean that they worship themselves. It simply means they believe Nature is supreme.

I believe in God, only I spell it Nature.
- Frank Lloyd Wright

God hates the Patriots

Prove me wrong

18 wins and 1 GIANT Loss!

OK N4, I think I understand your analogy. Unfortunately I think it is a poor one, no offense. "Greatness" of a musical band is a purely subjective matter of taste. I know people who think the Beatles suck donkey pole. Likening one's belief system regarding the existence or non-existence of a higher power to musical preferences just doesn't work for me.

Is anything more subjective than religion? Dad likes me, us, best? Is your assumption that those who just don't see what you see, or what anyone who believes in a deity believes as self worshiping, subjective?

Look at it for a moment like this. Religions have evolved over time to reflect the changing views and power structures of the conquerors, and God (s), and Goddesses has (have) been shaped and re-shaped to reflect their image, imaginings, and basically shore up the the authority (and thus the power) of the ones writing holy script. If you look into various religions through time, you will find a familiar script in many, and beliefs and ceremonies fitted to older customs to make transition to the newer order easier to achieve.

I'm not saying I know anything for sure, except that an all powerful entity would not constantly be re-made in the image of its self-appointed interpreters. Humans are limited to what they can imagine, and often by their own ambitions and prejudices. Doesn't that seem subjective to you, and maybe even a little presumptive?

I think Barb has made a fine point theists worship a projection of themselves. The gods are but projections of Man's nature and desire. Those who worship such personal deities, then, are truly worshiping themselves and the best and worst aspects of human nature.

Atheism, then,rejects this glorification and deification of Mankind, accepting the limits of human understanding where theists seek to appeal to their own desires to provide answers.

I think you mean that it requires arrogance to believe that one's perceptions of the lack of evidence in a Creator makes for the belief that there is no Creator? One believes in one's perceptions more than in a higher power. I don't think I put that very well.

I see your point, but do not agree because it assumes that there is a Creator and to assume makes an ass out of you and I.

Instead I see it this way: if a Creator gave me the ability to reason, and in using that ability I come to the conclusion that there is no Creator, it isn't arrogance, it's a Creator who wishes to remain anonymous.

Did the Creator give you such abilities, or did you inherit such from one or two of your ancestors eating fruit from the tree of Knowledge of Good and Evil? ;)

care

I think Barb has made a fine point theists worship a projection of themselves. The gods are but projections of Man's nature and desire. Those who worship such personal deities, then, are truly worshiping themselves and the best and worst aspects of human nature.

Atheism, then,rejects this glorification and deification of Mankind, accepting the limits of human understanding where theists seek to appeal to their own desires to provide answers.

The gods are but projections of Man's nature and desire. Those who worship such personal deities, then, are truly worshiping themselves and the best and worst aspects of human nature.

Exactly! That's how I see it, although I don't consider myself an atheist. I do believe there is some higher power, but at the same time I can't see the limitation of the unimaginable to what we are able to imagine as a valid explanation.

I think you mean that it requires arrogance to believe that one's perceptions of the lack of evidence in a Creator makes for the belief that there is no Creator? One believes in one's perceptions more than in a higher power. I don't think I put that very well.

I see your point, but do not agree because it assumes that there is a Creator and to assume makes an ass out of you and I.

Instead I see it this way: if a Creator gave me the ability to reason, and in using that ability I come to the conclusion that there is no Creator, it isn't arrogance, it's a Creator who wishes to remain anonymous.

Did the Creator give you such abilities, or did you inherit such from one or two of your ancestors eating fruit from the tree of Knowledge of Good and Evil? ;)

care

If god did not give man the ability to reason, then man could not reason that eating the fruit would be disobeying god's command, since it takes the ability to reason (no matter how limited it might be) to understand. Therefore, if it is not from god, Man cannot be held liable for eating of the tree, and therefore is not liable for sin.

See also: 'made in our own image'

The gods are but projections of Man's nature and desire. Those who worship such personal deities, then, are truly worshiping themselves and the best and worst aspects of human nature.
Exactly! That's how I see it, although I don't consider myself an atheist. I do believe there is some higher power, but at the same time I can't see the limitation of the unimaginable to what we are able to imagine as a valid explanation.

You sounds kinda like a deist

You sounds kinda like a deist

Kinda. Its as close as I can come to finding a like mindset, although it can't be set, per se... we learn new things all the time, and rediscover old things. I just can't find any other explanation for my continued survival except that I'm fun to watch. :lol:

care

If god did not give man the ability to reason, then man could not reason that eating the fruit would be disobeying god's command, since it takes the ability to reason (no matter how limited it might be) to understand. Therefore, if it is not from god, Man cannot be held liable for eating of the tree, and therefore is not liable for sin.

on another note, i suppose that means that since adam and eve could reason, and could have refused the luring of Lucifer before they ate the fruit from the tree of knowledge of good and evil that they had ''free will'' to make that choice in the first place, they were born in nature having 'free will'?

care

on another note, i suppose that means that since adam and eve could reason, and could have refused the luring of Lucifer before they ate the fruit from the tree of knowledge of good and evil that they had ''free will'' to make that choice in the first place, they were born in nature having 'free will'?
Free will, yes. A true choice, no. For only Lucifer offered them the truth, that they might decide for themselves. While god might have given them free will, it was Lucifer who offered them choice and self-determination, without which the 'free will' of God was meaningless.

Forum List

Back