Believers Invest in the Gospel of Getting Rich

Discussion in 'Religion and Ethics' started by Anguille, Aug 20, 2009.

1. Anguille

Anguille Bane of the Urbane

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +2,137
    [​IMG] Kenneth and Gloria Copeland and their all-star lineup of "prosperity gospel" preachers delighted the crowd with anecdotes about the luxurious lives they had attained by following the Word of God.
    Photo: Michael Stravato for The New York Times
    related

But while a band primed the crowd, Professor Walton called the prosperity preachers “spiritual pickpockets.”
    “To dismiss and ignore the harsh realities of this economic crisis,” he said. “is beyond irresponsible, to the point of reprehensible.”
    The Copelands refused an interview request, but one of their daughters, Kellie Copeland Swisher, and her husband, Steve Swisher, who both work in the ministry, spoke for them.
    Mrs. Swisher said the ministry gave away “a minimum of 10 percent of what comes in” to other charities. Her father’s current favorite, she said, is a Roman Catholic orphanage in Mexico.
    The ministry has resisted providing the Senate investigation with all the documents requested, she said, because the Copelands did not want to publicly reveal the names of the “partners.” The investigation, which could result in new laws, is continuing, a committee spokeswoman said. Among those being investigated is Creflo Dollar, one of the ministers at the Copelands’ convention.
    Mr. Swisher said that even in the economic downturn, the ministry’s income going into the convention was up 3 percent over last year. Asked if they had adjusted the message for the economy, Mrs. Swisher patted the worn Bible in her lap and said: “The message they preach is the Word of God. The Word doesn’t change.”

http://www.nytimes.com/2009/08/16/us/16gospel.html?scp=1&sq=copeland&st=cse

Are these people doing anything any different, really, than what is done in any other church?

• Thank You! Thank You! x 1
  2. JenT

JenT God lead our troops

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +253
    I don't understand your problem with these people.

I'm not a Copeland fan, but there's nothing wrong with being rich. Solomon was rich, King David, etc.

There is definately something wrong if you get rich by ill-gotten means, and God warns us about coveteousness, greed, love of money, but there is no sin in being rich if you got there honestly.

It also looks like they've given away a lot to charity.

So what's your point?

3. Luissa

Luissa Annoying Customer Supporting Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +5,664
    they are getting rich by telling people if they donate money to them their life will get better. I have no problem with churches but I have a problem with these people. They are preying on the weak and people who have little money are giving it to these people beliving they will do something for them but in reality the people are just loosing their money.

• Thank You! Thank You! x 2
  4. Epsilon Delta

Epsilon Delta Jedi Master

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +364
    "Donate to our Church and God will be good to you!" = D

The Copelands get an A for delivery; an F for originality. Popes have been doing the same thing for 2,000 years. Why do people keep buying this stupid shit?

I guess the main difference is that not even the Roman Catholic Priest in his golden palace in Rome is this fucking blatant.

5. Fatality

Fatality SunCrackedSoul

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +280
    do you have a donars list? then who the fuck told you that weak poor people are paying them? your dumb as dirt.

if youre going to say something back it the fuck up or stfu.

i can give you a run down on why i dont like em, but the fact is your not an honest person and you havnt earned it.

6. Ravi

Ravi Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +29,747
    Angie, I read an interesting article a couple of years back. There was so much criticism of televangelists and their ilk making a bundle off their followers that it was decided in evangelistic circles that money equated Godliness. Pretty good trick, huh? These people are always amusing if nothing else.

7. Mad Scientist

Mad Scientist Deplorable Gold Supporting Member Supporting Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +7,676
    You've just described the Democrat Party!

8. Luissa

Luissa Annoying Customer Supporting Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +5,664
    watch THE 700 CLUB asshole. They always have people on there saying they had lost everything but decided to donate what they had left because they just knew it would make things better.

9. Valerie

Valerie Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +10,295
    I'm SHOCKED! :eek:

Selling Forgiveness: How Money Sparked the Protestant Reformation | Christian History

10. JakeStarkey

JakeStarkey Diamond Member Supporting Member

Top Poster Of Month

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +32,193
    Prosperity preaching focues on the material of the world. If the Copelands gave all to other ministries and charities, living within the limits of school teachers' salaries, then I wouldn't say 'boo'. They don't, and I will. My personal opinion is that almost all prosperity preaching is not to God's glory.

David got in trouble because of his power ~ he had a man virtually whacked because he could. Solomon did get in trouble with all of his women because he was rich; he could afford a sizeable harem.