Atheism is a religion of self-worship

I always assumed that it was a reference to the idea that since most atheists would acknowledge our ability to reason and understand is beyond any other species, and since most acknowledge no other being with a greater mind, then we by default place ourselves at the top of some sort of order of beings like Alexander Pope's chain, and by definition the being at the top is the greatest or most revered which would be ourselves.

Rep worthy offering. :thup:

I don't agree that this is the case. My view of the argument is that most people agree that the Beatles were a great band. Some people may assert that there must be a better band somewhere, but they will be similar to the Beatles. If I say that there is no reason to assume there is a band out there that is better than the Beatles, then I am accused of saying that the Beatles are the best possible band, and no band could ever be better. Whereas, my response is- there could be a better band, but there is no reason to assume there is one, and if there is one, they may sound more similar to the Rolling Stones.

:eusa_eh: wtf are you talking about?

If someone takes the position that atheists think they are the greatest possible being- speaking for myself, I can say that I don't agree that humans are the greatest possible being- just the greatest being we know of, based on a definition of "great" that refers to human capacity for understanding and reason and knowledge.

In this case, the atheist isn't saying there's no being greater than humans, just that we know of no being greater- like the Beatles fan who says no band is greater than the Beatles is not saying there could never be a band greater, just that he doesn't know of any band greater. Furthermore, the criteria that a being "greater" than humans would have knowledge and understanding (which just happen to be distinct human traits) is just as arbitrary and subjectively biased as a Beatles fan saying that a band better than the Beatles must sound similar to the Beatles, dismissing the idea that a Rolling Stones type band could be as great or greater.

A couple people have commented on this sig-line so I thought I'd start a thread about it.

What do you think I mean by this? (pos reps given for sincere efforts, right or wrong. :D)

Discuss.

Being a self-centered narcicist who believes in no creator, but who disdains atheism because scientific theory(s) (which most if not all atheistys hide behind) does not rule out a creator of some sort...I just don't care what you meant.

I want to add my two cents though. How quaint is that and would a god worthy of worship give a damn what people think of it (is a god a he or a she?)?

The Beatles were better songwriters but the Stones rock out way more. Which makes the best band Lou Reed, who combines both excellent songwriting and seminal rockin'.
In other words, the only true position to have is to be an agnostic: there's no empirical proof of god, but we're leaving the door open if anyone ever finds any, but for now, there doesn't appear to be any god... except Lou Reed, of course.

OK N4, I think I understand your analogy. Unfortunately I think it is a poor one, no offense. "Greatness" of a musical band is a purely subjective matter of taste. I know people who think the Beatles suck donkey pole. Likening one's belief system regarding the existence or non-existence of a higher power to musical preferences just doesn't work for me.

Oh, and I forgot, The NE Patriots blow, and Brady married a chick that's been banged by about a thousand guys. A Decaprio cast off, among others. Stick THAT between your bible cheeks!

OK N4, I think I understand your analogy. Unfortunately I think it is a poor one, no offense. "Greatness" of a musical band is a purely subjective matter of taste. I know people who think the Beatles suck donkey pole. Likening one's belief system regarding the existence or non-existence of a higher power to musical preferences just doesn't work for me.

And the qualities of a "greater" being are not a subjective matter of taste? Either one knows nothing of such a being, or one believes in a communication from that being. And those supposed communications are at least as contentious about which is the correct "interpretation" as debates about what is the "greatest" band of all time. Just like it may be a combination of personal preference and selective criteria that informs one decision about the "greatest" band, so are the scriptures selected and interpreted by preference.

wtf? Do you mean that those that don't believe in a God are putting man as the highest life form? Didn't the founders do just that?

Not sure why that is exactly a problem or why you'd call it self-worship.

I'll get back to you when I can N4.

Right now it's time to go make some therapeutically loud and angry music with my bandmates. :D

Right, wrong or indifferent, Atheism is a religion of self-worship.

A couple people have commented on this sig-line so I thought I'd start a thread about it.

What do you think I mean by this? (pos reps given for sincere efforts, right or wrong. :D)

Discuss.
I think you mean that regardless of whether or not people think you are right, wrong or are indifferent to your statement, you still think atheism is self worship.

What I find interesting is that you would capitalize the word "atheist", that action in and of itself almost indicates that you, yourself see it as a viable religion. True atheism is an absence of belief in religion and of a higher power of any sort.

Attachments

• $unicorn-goat.jpg
    $unicorn-goat.jpg
    31.5 KB · Views: 58

Forum List

Back