Atheism is a religion of self-worship

manifold

Diamond Member
Feb 19, 2008
your dreams
A couple people have commented on this sig-line so I thought I'd start a thread about it.

What do you think I mean by this? (pos reps given for sincere efforts, right or wrong. :D)

Discuss.

I think you mean that it requires arrogance to believe that one's perceptions of the lack of evidence in a Creator makes for the belief that there is no Creator? One believes in one's perceptions more than in a higher power. I don't think I put that very well.

I see your point, but do not agree because it assumes that there is a Creator and to assume makes an ass out of you and I.

Instead I see it this way: if a Creator gave me the ability to reason, and in using that ability I come to the conclusion that there is no Creator, it isn't arrogance, it's a Creator who wishes to remain anonymous.

• Banned
I think you mean that it requires arrogance to believe that one's perceptions of the lack of evidence in a Creator makes for the belief that there is no Creator? One believes in one's perceptions more than in a higher power. I don't think I put that very well.

I see your point, but do not agree because it assumes that there is a Creator and to assume makes an ass out of you and I.

Instead I see it this way: if a Creator gave me the ability to reason, and in using that ability I come to the conclusion that there is no Creator, it isn't arrogance, it's a Creator who wishes to remain anonymous.

Not exactly. But an effort worthy of the promised rep nevertheless. :cool:

mani means that he has no clue what atheism means. Why is atheism self-worship? It means that you don't believe that the gods of the bible/koran/whatever exist. What does that have to do with self-worship? That's more like ego-trippin', and we all know what big egos all the born again preachers have. You think maybe the pope has a big ego too? Constantly trying to tell people how to live and the guy's never had sex with a woman, sheesh.

• Banned
mani means that he has no clue what atheism means. Why is atheism self-worship? It means that you don't believe that the gods of the bible/koran/whatever exist. What does that have to do with self-worship? That's more like ego-trippin', and we all know what big egos all the born again preachers have. You think maybe the pope has a big ego too? Constantly trying to tell people how to live and the guy's never had sex with a woman, sheesh.

Fail.

The Rep Nazi says: No rep for you!

Last edited:
I agree with your sig 100 percent. Without belief in a creator (in any form) the self becomes the center of the universe.

I can understand and respect peoples doubts about God and religion. But I honestly have never met an open minded atheist. Personal observation; no offense intended.

That is the fundamental issue of religiousness vs non religious. Even though I don't follow any religion (I think they are all silly to various degrees) I recognize that they meet a very important emotional need and a very important help in maintaining a moral base. And this is the heart of it. To be an egoist who thinks the world revolves around himself is to be lonely and perpetually hurt, and because of that, always striking out at others.

The good part of religion is that it makes us recognize that self love is self destruction. By placing some other as the center, it makes us more responsive to others.

The modern gds of the mideast work best for this. Using idols, or things is the same as using yourself as the measure. And that is even more unhealthy, as the idols will always let you down.

While I won't drink your cool aid, I am not so foolish as to worship myself either. I know me pretty well, and I am smarter than that. The fact I don't worship your moonbeams does not mean I think you are wrong for putting something better and more constructive as the center of your life than your own self gratification. Actually, it is the best argument there is for the religious impulse.

So I think self worship is a bad idea too. I don't really like your option, but I think it better to leave the spot blank, rather than replace one stupid with another.

A couple people have commented on this sig-line so I thought I'd start a thread about it.

What do you think I mean by this? (pos reps given for sincere efforts, right or wrong. :D)

Discuss.

I always assumed that it was a reference to the idea that since most atheists would acknowledge our ability to reason and understand is beyond any other species, and since most acknowledge no other being with a greater mind, then we by default place ourselves at the top of some sort of order of beings like Alexander Pope's chain, and by definition the being at the top is the greatest or most revered which would be ourselves.

I don't agree that this is the case. My view of the argument is that most people agree that the Beatles were a great band. Some people may assert that there must be a better band somewhere, but they will be similar to the Beatles. If I say that there is no reason to assume there is a band out there that is better than the Beatles, then I am accused of saying that the Beatles are the best possible band, and no band could ever be better. Whereas, my response is- there could be a better band, but there is no reason to assume there is one, and if there is one, they may sound more similar to the Rolling Stones.

I agree with your sig 100 percent. Without belief in a creator (in any form) the self becomes the center of the universe.

I can understand and respect peoples doubts about God and religion. But I honestly have never met an open minded atheist. Personal observation; no offense intended.

These are very closed minded statements

I always assumed that it was a reference to the idea that since most atheists would acknowledge our ability to reason and understand is beyond any other species, and since most acknowledge no other being with a greater mind, then we by default place ourselves at the top of some sort of order of beings like Alexander Pope's chain, and by definition the being at the top is the greatest or most revered which would be ourselves.

Rep worthy offering. :thup:

I don't agree that this is the case. My view of the argument is that most people agree that the Beatles were a great band. Some people may assert that there must be a better band somewhere, but they will be similar to the Beatles. If I say that there is no reason to assume there is a band out there that is better than the Beatles, then I am accused of saying that the Beatles are the best possible band, and no band could ever be better. Whereas, my response is- there could be a better band, but there is no reason to assume there is one, and if there is one, they may sound more similar to the Rolling Stones.

:eusa_eh: wtf are you talking about?

Discuss.

First of all, atheism is not a religion. Atheists have been subjected to religious dogma, analyzed what it says....and concluded "I'm not buying it"

Self worship??
Whats to worship? Atheists just acknowledge their place in society. You get one shot in this world and you make the best of it. They realize you live, you die....then its over

One other thing to consider is that Atheists act in a moral fasion because they understand that to hurt others is morally WRONG where as people who worship God based on their religious views act morally because of the THREAT of hell or the PROMISE of heaven. So you tell me which person has a better moral compass?

A- theism

without God

I have never found any solid reason to believe God exsists.

This makes me just another Human Being among billions on the planet earth.

The ones who believe in God or Gods tend to believe they are more valuble than those who believe differently than them.

Who is really whorshiping themselfs more?

Last edited:
Right, wrong or indifferent, Atheism is a religion of self-worship.

Wrong. Atheism is a "lack" of mystical beliefs.

How come those who believe in the "occult" assume there is "something wrong" with those that don't believe in the "supernature"?

For me, no ghosts, no demons, no devils, no angels and no "diety" usless you can find proof.

Forum List

Back