At what point will partisans realize that sexual misconduct is not a political issue?

The problem is, they're controlling the conversation. So unless and until they change their behaviors, this just continues.
`
`

Me? I don't complain much. Still, partisan threads are the "bread and butter" of most online, public forums. They kill time but are not very enlightening. Whatcha gonna do?

While I do realize that many people view pretty much everything through a partisan political lens, watching the ends of the spectrum trade gotchas with each other on all these stories coming out is getting funny.

Do you think we are capable of separating the topic of sexual misconduct from partisan politics?

Are there any other topics that we're capable of separating from partisan politics?

Or is everything going to remain a simplistic Left vs. Right slap fight?

For some, partisan politics is EVERYTHING. My man didn't sexually harass that woman, she's a liar, she's making it up. Your man is clearly wrong, I know it, I can smell it in the air.

While I do realize that many people view pretty much everything through a partisan political lens, watching the ends of the spectrum trade gotchas with each other on all these stories coming out is getting funny.

Do you think we are capable of separating the topic of sexual misconduct from partisan politics?

Are there any other topics that we're capable of separating from partisan politics?

It depends Mac... You and ai can seperate the issue from our political stances, but most can not.

I know this lass that want to discuss politics with me all the time and I pretend to be liberal or regressive as you write so I can show her how she only see one side of the coin and that not everything is political.

Sexual harassment is a social problem that falls into the political spectrum and it hit all sides and not one.

So to answer some can but many will not...

The problem is, they're controlling the conversation. So unless and until they change their behaviors, this just continues.
Me? I don't complain much. Still, partisan threads are the "bread and butter" of most online, public forums. They kill time but are not very enlightening. Whatcha gonna do?
Do you see this behavior spreading more and more into our culture, though? Entertainment, sports, the guy on the street?

It depends Mac... You and ai can seperate the issue from our political stances, but most can not.I know this lass that want to discuss politics with me all the time and I pretend to be liberal or regressive as you write so I can show her how she only see one side of the coin and that not everything is political. Sexual harassment is a social problem that falls into the political spectrum and it hit all sides and not one.So to answer some can but many will not...
`
`

The fact of the matter here is that neither the political (dem/gop) nor ideological (conservative/liberal) side holds the moral high ground on this issue.

Last edited:
I really don't know where this thing is going

Most women I know have been sexually harassed to some degree. It was generally handled on the spot or ignored with the understanding the guy was an asshole and should be avoided in the future

If all these women start telling their stories, there are going to be a lot of embarrassed men

Judging by the thread so far - they're just jumping into the same stuff with both feet - it will be a long time, at least..
It gets boring in its predictability, like ringing a bell.
The problem is, they're controlling the conversation.
Avoid and ignore the idiots who try to bring you down in life; they are not worth your time.
-- Ken Poirot​

Those people need to be marginalized, but insofar as we have a "Conspirator/Conspiracy Theorist in Chief," that's unlikely to happen anytime soon. That clown empowers the types of partisans who cannot tell, won't and don't want to figure out that sexual opprobriousness isn't a political matter.

Participants in public discourse should just ignore them; law enforcement should keep an eye on them to make sure they don't do something unruly.

It is ignorant people, the most uneducated, the most unimaginative, the most unthinking among us, who would make themselves the guides and leaders of us all; who would force their feeble and childish beliefs on us; who would invade our schools and libraries and homes. I personally resent it bitterly.
-- Isaac Asimov, The Roving Mind

Judging by the thread so far - they're just jumping into the same stuff with both feet - it will be a long time, at least..
Avoid and ignore the idiots who try to bring you down in life; they are not worth your time.
-- Ken Poirot​

Those people need to be marginalized, but insofar as we have a "Conspirator/Conspiracy Theorist in Chief," that's unlikely to happen anytime soon. That clown empowers the types of partisans who cannot tell, won't and don't want to figure out that sexual opprobriousness isn't a political matter.

Participants in public discourse should just ignore them; law enforcement should keep an eye on them to make sure they don't do something unruly.

It is ignorant people, the most uneducated, the most unimaginative, the most unthinking among us, who would make themselves the guides and leaders of us all; who would force their feeble and childish beliefs on us; who would invade our schools and libraries and homes. I personally resent it bitterly.
I agree, but as I mention above, what concerns me is that they're controlling the conversation. They're infecting everything with it, and we can't fix a problem or address an issue in this kind of environment.

Certainly we need to marginalize people like that, but holy crap, how do you marginalize those who have the most influence?

Once again, show the "CONVICTION" of Judge Moore and I will let him burn in hell. I defended Bill Cosby until the "check" showed up for the hush money to his accuser.

That's not all too uncommon. Many just pay the money to make the problem go away. That doesn't mean an admission of guilt. After all, that's what most of these women want anyway.......money.

Would Republicans/conservatives be defending Roy Moore if he were a Democrat? Would they ever not defend him if he were a Republican in a situation where an important Senate seat was on the line.?

Probably not. Do you suppose the Democrats will support getting rid of Frankenstein?

-- Ken Poirot​

I agree, but as I mention above, what concerns me is that they're controlling the conversation. They're infecting everything with it, and we can't fix a problem or address an issue in this kind of environment.

Certainly we need to marginalize people like that, but holy crap, how do you marginalize those who have the most influence?
what concerns me is that they're controlling the conversation.

My point is that the blame rests on the people and organizations who refuse to simply ignore those clowns. Aside from Trump, and him only because he's POTUS, just don't respond to them, don't mention whatever be the points they attempt to make, just don't given them any recognition of any sort. I can assure you that the easiest way to deal with people like Trump is to "not invite them to the party" or don't talk to them if they show up anyway.

The only reason those "nut jobs" are part of, controlling as you put it, the conversation is because their allowed to be. Who's in control of whether that clowns are allowed to control the conversation? Everyone else. If you assign blame to the wrong individuals/groups, of course, you're not going to solve the problem.

Won't happen Mac. The politics of personal destruction is now a part of the system. Just look at many of the comments on this thread.

Won't happen Mac. The politics of personal destruction is now a part of the system. Just look at many of the comments on this thread.
Yeah, this has been interesting. Some have responded with a general agreement and thoughtful comments, others have immediately fallen into the very behavior I describe. They literally can't help themselves. They're programmed at this point.

This certainly won't change any time soon. But the clock is ticking, y'know?

Yeah, this has been interesting. Some have responded with a general agreement and thoughtful comments, others have immediately fallen into the very behavior I describe. They literally can't help themselves. They're programmed at this point.

This certainly won't change any time soon. But the clock is ticking, y'know?

Hope you're right and a change happens pre war. But I'm not as hopeful as you. The attack on just about everything is upon us.

Would Republicans/conservatives be defending Roy Moore if he were a Democrat? Would they ever not defend him if he were a Republican in a situation where an important Senate seat was on the line.?

Probably not. Do you suppose the Democrats will support getting rid of Frankenstein?

I said he should resign. I'm not however in favor of the Democrats unilaterally disarming.

Next mass shooting will do it for a day or two.

Two party systems are binary. You can't pretend otherwise. A perfect example of how that works is how Roy Moore's most staunch supporters and defenders appear to be conservative evangelical type Christians in Alabama.

They are simply ignoring the sex scandal aspect of this because they prioritize their other positions on other issues.

Forum List

Back