About the notion that Dems decrying sexual misconduct is disingenuous

usmbguest5318

Gold Member
Jan 1, 2017
D.C.
The qualities of a great man are vision, integrity, courage, understanding, the power of articulation, and profundity of character.
-- Dwight Eisenhower​

I've heard several GOP adherents (fortunately none whom I count among my Republican friends and close acquaintances) mention that it's disingenuous for Democrats today to decry, chide, etc. Trump, Moore and other Republicans on the basis of their alleged sexual misconduct/predation. AFAIC, such a claim is myopically inane because it completely ignores context.

It's true that myriad Dems defended Bill Clinton when he was accused of sexual misdeeds. It's also true, however, that there is plenty of evidence today that Democrats have learned that their having done so was wrong. Democrats have castigated, rebuked, decried, and rejected plenty of their own number who've in recent years been accused of similar deeds, and their doing so is not limited to individuals in the political arena. Conyers. Lauer. Weinstein. Spacey. Franken.

Quite simply, a mark of prudence is the ability to learn from not only one's own mistakes but also to learn vicariously from others' erring. Is the anti-intellectualism that plagues the GOP so pervasive that Republicans whom one, I in particular, might otherwise have regarded as being bright and ethical not worthy of those descriptors instead just as turpitudinous and cognitively derelict as appear to be the inveterately partisan Republicans who see everything in terms of party? I should hope not; however, the absence of GOP voices and/or money in concerted opposition to Moore and demanding a reckoning of the accusations against Trump leaves me in grave doubt in that regard.

I don't know that the Democrats can duly claim to be the "family values" party, but I do know that the GOP has no legitimate, rather than superficial, title to that status. Perhaps "family values" and character truly are these days irrelevant to the GOP?

Americanism is a question of principle, of purpose, of idealism, of character.
-- Theodore Roosevelt​

Forum List

Back