CDZ At what point do you stop giving someone the benefit of the doubt?

At what point do you stop giving someone the benefit of the doubt re: a given matter?

• Upon finding that every factual, abstract and contextual element causing doubt has been eradicated

• Upon finding evidence the person has paltered in some material way about the matter in question

• Upon finding evidence the person has paltered in a minor way about the matter in questions

• Upon finding evidence the person has been materially wrong re: "facts" they cite

• Upon finding evidence the person has been materially wrong re: the context of something they cite

• Upon learning the person is often disingenuous, dissembling, paltering and/or prevaricating

• I don't give anyone the benefit of the doubt

Results are only viewable after voting.
I'll give anyone the benefit of the doubt, until they're dishonest. I can completely disagree with someone, but as long as they're honest, we can communicate. And as long as we can communicate, we can both learn something. If there is dishonesty, what is the point in trying to communicate? You'll most likely get nowhere.

Where it gets complicated is when that person is controlled by an ideology. Ideology literally distorts both perceptions and thought processes, so on a surface level, a person may truly believe what they're saying. I do believe though, that at some level, a healthy person knows when they're being intellectually dishonest.
I'll give anyone the benefit of the doubt, until they're dishonest.

That^ !!!

I'm not upset that you lied to me; I'm upset that from now on I can't believe you.
-- Friedrich Nietzsche​

Uncle Ferd wantin' to know...

... what's paltering?

funny-chicken-ride-mount-Photoshop.jpg

I'll give anyone the benefit of the doubt, until they're dishonest. I can completely disagree with someone, but as long as they're honest, we can communicate. And as long as we can communicate, we can both learn something. If there is dishonesty, what is the point in trying to communicate? You'll most likely get nowhere.

Where it gets complicated is when that person is controlled by an ideology. Ideology literally distorts both perceptions and thought processes, so on a surface level, a person may truly believe what they're saying. I do believe though, that at some level, a healthy person knows when they're being intellectually dishonest.

I won't give "anyone" the benefit of the doubt. :D That is probably not a very good idea.

I won't give "anyone" the benefit of the doubt. :D That is probably not a very good idea.
I'm afraid I can't blame you.

I'm afraid I can't blame you.

You really do have to be very careful about who you associate with, for all different reasons.

Anyone who posts really long messages and always has to use really big words, like a pompous arse on a message board. That is a good indication they are full of it.
Chris! You like to pick on everyone, don't you?
Xelor's posts ain't easy to make out, but his links are factual and he uses reasoning. I don't always agree with his deductions, but I have never considered him "full of it."

Anyone who posts really long messages and always has to use really big words, like a pompous arse on a message board. That is a good indication they are full of it.
Xelor's posts ain't easy to make out, but his links are factual and he uses reasoning. I don't always agree with his deductions, but I have never considered him "full of it."

He is a pompous know it all, and his posts are boring as all hell. He is much too long winded and full of himself, IMO. To each her own, though! :)

Pretty straightforward question...Answer by voting in the poll or by offering your own explication.

It depends on the person and my relationship to them. Nobody has a hard and fast rule on this. You will give family members or people you inherently trust a longer rope.

I love you though, OldLady. :smiliehug:

I love you though, OldLady. :smiliehug:
Feeling's mutual, Chris.
I guess I was thinking of being "full of it" as being untruthful, not just putting on airs. I suppose we can think of that as a form of dishonesty, but I'm just not that rarefied in my judgments.
Xelor is, though.
Xelor, part of what you're asking has to do with what you consider a "lie," too. If someone misspeaks or is sloppy in how they frame something but mean no ill will or to mislead anyone, it's not a lie. It's a screw up.

My starting point is, "I assume what you're telling me is as accurate as Jake Starkey's Republican credentials"

I remember my first official job, a salesgirl at a 5 and dime, the manager asked us to start watching the customers for shoplifting. He went into the ways people secret stuff out of the store and how to discreetly follow them around and keep an eye on them.
Well, I was 15 and I was basically the same as I am now--give people the benefit of the doubt 'til they prove me wrong and then watch out. I "stalked" customers for about twenty minutes and said to hell with it. It was too depressing.

Damn, you beat me to it.

I would add in qualifiers like being a sock puppet or having been paid by the committee to elect Hillary to post endless streams of very predictable ultra-partisan crap.

I remember my first official job, a salesgirl at a 5 and dime, the manager asked us to start watching the customers for shoplifting. He went into the ways people secret stuff out of the store and how to discreetly follow them around and keep an eye on them.
Well, I was 15 and I was basically the same as I am now--give people the benefit of the doubt 'til they prove me wrong and then watch out. I "stalked" customers for about twenty minutes and said to hell with it. It was too depressing.

What is a five and dime?

Is it anything like the "Penny and Tuppence" I worked in as a wee child? I can still remember a customer trying to steal a buggy whip.

All things considered, I gave them the benefit of the doubt.

Shoplifting is a specific technical issue that should be addressed with cameras and a security guard.

Pretty straightforward question...Answer by voting in the poll or by offering your own explication.

It depends on the person and my relationship to them. Nobody has a hard and fast rule on this. You will give family members or people you inherently trust a longer rope.
My sister and my niece lie to me more than anyone else on this Earth.

Family are the very worst.

Forum List

Back