CDZ At what point do you stop giving someone the benefit of the doubt?

At what point do you stop giving someone the benefit of the doubt re: a given matter?

• Upon finding that every factual, abstract and contextual element causing doubt has been eradicated

• Upon finding evidence the person has paltered in some material way about the matter in question

• Upon finding evidence the person has paltered in a minor way about the matter in questions

• Upon finding evidence the person has been materially wrong re: "facts" they cite

• Upon finding evidence the person has been materially wrong re: the context of something they cite

• Upon learning the person is often disingenuous, dissembling, paltering and/or prevaricating

• I don't give anyone the benefit of the doubt

Results are only viewable after voting.
To treat people unconditionally,
you can't depend on whether they are telling the truth or not, or you will be disappointed.
It's best to leave yourself an out, in case something goes wrong or changes.
That is closest to "never giving anyone the benefit of the doubt"
ie don't ASSUME either way. But it is also like giving everyone room for doubt.

Trusting nobody to be 100% consistent because nobody is.
But trusting people to do what they feel is best at the time,
putting their interests and convenience first. Accepting and working with that.

I trust people to be honest and truthful until they show a pattern of lying and/or deceptive actions. Fortunately I can count on one hand the people who earned complete distrust.

It depends on the person how well I know them and their past if a person has a proven history of acting a certain way I'm less likely to give them the benefit of the doubt if they don't I'm more likely to there is no set pattern ever situation will be different.

I trust people to be honest and truthful until they show a pattern of lying and/or deceptive actions. Fortunately I can count on one hand the people who earned complete distrust.
I definitely have no people in my life whom I distrust to the point that I cannot accord them the benefit of the doubt. As for people of whom I know of, rather than knowing personally, well, there're more untrustworthy folks than I can shake a stick at.

My gut tells me somebody is lying???

it's bye bye.

Hey....but that's just me....I have a very good sense for that shit.

It depends on the person how well I know them and their past if a person has a proven history of acting a certain way I'm less likely to give them the benefit of the doubt if they don't I'm more likely to there is no set pattern ever situation will be different.
I agree with you. I tend to use Einstein's axiom as my bar for assessing the situational relevance and context of a person's remarks.

Whoever is careless with the truth in small matters cannot be trusted with important matters.
-- Albert Einstein​

For me....there is no benefit of the doubt.

My gut tells me it's wrong.....I follow that advise. I'm out.

Sadly many people are all wrong they always make mistakes....oh well....I can not give any advise to them.I'm sorry.

I like to think I'm a good judge of character. Most times people just don't have all of the facts or possess a full knowledge of history. And I'm no better in that regard. There is always something to learn.

But there are people who take advantage of the ignorance of his or her peers. These are the people who purposfully mislead others. Fortunately, these are also the people who are easiest to spot. They're overly prideful.

Last edited:
Don't trust anyone who uses a famous quote as a signature and then behaves in the opposite manner that the quote would imply how they expect others to behave.

Also, when men brag about the size of their penis or their sex lives, it usually means they don't have anything going on, if you know what I mean. :p Men who have it going on have no need to brag to strangers about it. Don't trust those guys. :up:

In real life, it would be when a person lies to me about something important (I'm not counting something like a child lying to their parent about something they did or whatever though - I would always give my child the benefit of the doubt - I trust that he is a good person. I also don't really count political debates where both sides are liars).

If someone lies to me one time, then they will most likely do it again at some point. You can't trust a liar.

I like to think I'm a good judge of character. Most times people just don't have all of the facts or possess a full knowledge of history. And I'm no better in that regard. There is always something to learn.

But there are people who take advantage of the ignorance of his or her peers. These are the people who purposfully mislead others. Fortunately, these are also the people who are easiest to spot. They're overly prideful.

Geez, most people who post here know all the facts and know everything about EVERYTHING though. :D You must be new here.

I'll give anyone the benefit of the doubt, until they're dishonest. I can completely disagree with someone, but as long as they're honest, we can communicate. And as long as we can communicate, we can both learn something. If there is dishonesty, what is the point in trying to communicate? You'll most likely get nowhere.

Where it gets complicated is when that person is controlled by an ideology. Ideology literally distorts both perceptions and thought processes, so on a surface level, a person may truly believe what they're saying. I do believe though, that at some level, a healthy person knows when they're being intellectually dishonest.

Last edited:

Forum List

Back