AT&T Case Asks U.S. Supreme Court to Assign Privacy Rights to Corporations

Modbert

Daydream Believer
Sep 2, 2008
AT&T Case Asks U.S. Supreme Court to Assign Privacy Rights to Corporations - Bloomberg

A business privacy case that comes before the U.S. Supreme Court today may rekindle a debate among the justices over whether corporations are like people, even to the point of suffering embarrassment.

The case, set to be argued in Washington, pits the Obama administration against AT&T Inc. over the release of documents stemming from a government investigation of the company. The question is whether corporations can invoke a Freedom of Information Act provision that protects against invasions of “personal privacy.”

I would sure hope that the U.S Supreme Court doesn't side with AT&T on this one. Though if they do, it should be interesting to watch Scalia justify it despite his previous statements about "Constitutional right of privacy."

Constitution does not ban sex bias, Scalia says

He also described the legal underpinnings of the court's 1965 ruling declaring a constitutional right of privacy - the basis for Roe vs. Wade - as a "total absurdity."

I wonder why I ever thought you might grow up to have any sense. Part of those records that you think AT&T has no right to keep private include billing records for customers. Do you honestly believe that AT&T customers have no right to privacy?

I wonder why I ever thought you might grow up to have any sense. Part of those records that you think AT&T has no right to keep private include billing records for customers. Do you honestly believe that AT&T customers have no right to privacy?

Where did I say that? And where does it say that in the article?

Also, billing records for customers would fall under the Freedom of Information Act Provision for citizens. Did you see what this case is about?

AT&T, the largest U.S. phone company, is trying to block disclosure of what it says are competitively sensitive documents connected to a 2004 Federal Communications Commission investigation into the company’s billing practices under a government school-technology program. AT&T reached a $500,000 settlement with the FCC that year.

CompTel, a trade association representing companies that compete with AT&T and Verizon Communications Inc., filed a FOIA request in 2005, seeking access to the investigation file. The FCC concluded it was obligated to release many of the records, saying the “personal privacy” exemption applied only to individuals.

The Philadelphia-based 3rd U.S. Circuit Court of Appeals disagreed, ruling that the exemption covers corporations as well. The decision sent the case back to the FCC to balance the company’s privacy rights with the public’s interest in disclosure.

This has nothing to do with protecting customers.

Where did I say that? And where does it say that in the article?

Also, billing records for customers would fall under the Freedom of Information Act Provision for citizens. Did you see what this case is about?

AT&T, the largest U.S. phone company, is trying to block disclosure of what it says are competitively sensitive documents connected to a 2004 Federal Communications Commission investigation into the company’s billing practices under a government school-technology program. AT&T reached a $500,000 settlement with the FCC that year.
CompTel, a trade association representing companies that compete with AT&T and Verizon Communications Inc., filed a FOIA request in 2005, seeking access to the investigation file. The FCC concluded it was obligated to release many of the records, saying the “personal privacy” exemption applied only to individuals.

The Philadelphia-based 3rd U.S. Circuit Court of Appeals disagreed, ruling that the exemption covers corporations as well. The decision sent the case back to the FCC to balance the company’s privacy rights with the public’s interest in disclosure.
This has nothing to do with protecting customers.

No, it is about protecting proprietary company secrets. Those secrets are the property of AT&T, and thus of its stockholders, who, believe it or not, are people.

Forum List

Back