At 2:45 p.m., or within one minute after shooting Ashli, Lt. Byrd made the following radio call:

The officer should have shot several insurgents.

He didn't have to. His job was not to shoot people but to keep them the fuck out of the House chamber until it could be cleared. He only had to shoot one of them to accomplish that job. The rest instantly got the message and backed the fuck down.

The thing that jumped out at me when I first saw the hi-res video was how he was mishandling his weapon. Specifically, his finger inside the trigger guard, sweeping the muzzle through the crowd and also his fellow officers as he advanced down the hallway towards the door.

That is an appalling lack of training and proper gun handling. Especially with a Glock, which has no manual safeties other than the trigger safety. When your finger is on the trigger, the safety is OFF.

I personally think the shooting was an AD- the adrenaline got him and he was mishandling the weapon.

A few years before, this same officer left his pistol in a restroom in the Capitol. He took it off and set it on the toilet tank while he did his business, then just walked out. Someone turned it in a couple hours later. So not only did he leave his gun in a public restroom, he walked around with an empty holster for a couple hours and wasn't even aware that he has lost his weapon.

Should have been Barney Fife'd years ago...

The thing that jumped out at me when I first saw the hi-res video was how he was mishandling his weapon. Specifically, his finger inside the trigger guard, sweeping the muzzle through the crowd and also his fellow officers as he advanced down the hallway towards the door.

That is an appalling lack of training and proper gun handling. Especially with a Glock, which has no manual safeties other than the trigger safety. When your finger is on the trigger, the safety is OFF.

I personally think the shooting was an AD- the adrenaline got him and he was mishandling the weapon.

A few years before, this same officer left his pistol in a restroom in the Capitol. He took it off and set it on the toilet tank while he did his business, then just walked out. Someone turned it in a couple hours later. So not only did he leave his gun in a public restroom, he walked around with an empty holster for a couple hours and wasn't even aware that he has lost his weapon.

Should have been Barney Fife'd years ago...

Your observations are meaningless. He fired one shot. He hit his intended target and neutralized the threat of a violent mob attempting to gain access to members of Congress. The man is a hero.

Forum List

Back