Asset Class Returns 2018

Years ago people were more interested in fuel prices then they were on the stock market.

Years ago one might suppose hay for their horse prices were of interest too. People in the good old days worked up to the time most of them died. Times Change and we need to prepare for the future, in personal matters and in politics.

Years ago people were responsible in their personal matters AND their politics. Not today.

That's ^^^ the conservative meme. The fact is some of us do plan for the future, and reap the benefits. Others don't, and many times because circumstances won't allow them to plan ahead.

CEO's, etc. don't live check to check, many - too many - American families do. As for politics, I suspect and hope that the message rang loud and clear this past November. Promises made by demagogues (and in the current case demagogues and charlatans) rarely come to fruition.
Bullshit. The reason American families live paycheck to paycheck is because Americans have been conditioned to be a consumer economy. They are not taught how to budget, balance a checkbook, or to save in high school because they are being brainwashed. They are not taught work ethic or sacrifice or to set goals. Obama killed people who were savers so he could double our debt with o interest rate. Stop making excuses for people who choose to buy a bag of pot and a fancy cell phone instead of paying the rent, or someone who needs a McMansion, 3 cars, and ten credit cards. The progressive mantra that if you have any problems it is not your fault is coming home to roost. The left is systematically destroying the middle class through health care, minimum wage, taxes, policy, and bureaucracy. Spare me the it’s not their fault sermon.

Markets & Chaos don't mix well. Trump's erratic behavior should be considered when one asks why their investments ended the year of 2018 in the RED.

No sane person should judge his investments by a day on the calendar. Mine are in the black by the way. Lifelong investor here.
Enjoy your food stamps.

No sane person believes you. Since all three major markets ended 2018 in the red, maybe you could explain how you were able to remain in the black?

And F. U. on your food stamps remark. Look up what a Commander in a SF Bay Area Police Agency earns, and what they would earn on safety retirement (3%@50) + Ventura Decision*** & the sale of Vacation and management leave, plus 3% COLA each year.

Employee Services hot topics page 1
I don't think you understand the idea of investing. I usually try and buy when stocks are low. The lower the better. I hold on for the long term, I do not sell when stocks jump a point or two. I still have the stocks I bought when I started investing in the 70's.
I also have a large amount in bonds so that during the downturns in the stock market it does not hurt so bad.
I have been retired for a long time. I retired before I turned 62. I have traveled 24/7/365 all over the U.S. And taken several cruises and travel to numerous countries and still do not worry about money.

My point is that since the 70's I have seen many up and downs of the market. If you are investing and are so upset in a down turn in the market then you should not be investing in stocks. Perhaps a savings account may be better suited. Or maybe a mutual fund if you can stand a little bit of volatility. Of course mutual funds still rely on the stock market.

Markets & Chaos don't mix well. Trump's erratic behavior should be considered when one asks why their investments ended the year of 2018 in the RED.
/——-/ What’s erratic about staying in the Oval Office waiting for Dems to do their job?

The way forward is simple, IMO...if the Fed keeps 'normalizing rates (as they should if they were responsible - which they probably are not) the equity markets will continue to fall (at varying speeds) and the economy will go into a recession. How big depends on how fast and hard the Fed comes to the rescue.
If the Fed turns around it's rate 'normalizing' and balance sheet liquidating - as it should NOT do if it were responsible - then the markets will rise again and the economy will be fine...for now.
Of course, this will mean that the next recession will be just that much worse as just that much more debt will have to be worked through.

I have said this for years - the Fed runs the show now. Not the government or fundamentals or Wall Street or the consumers...but the Fed (and other major, central banks in their respective countries).

Forum List

Back