Ask the Evangelical!

dilloduck said:
No but I think also think that our conscience cannot be soley labled as a tool of the devil either. Socio-paths for example have no conscience to guide them. They do purely what they feel like doing with no remorse but using them as an example for the rest of us is an unfair comparison. Those of us who have a conscience often feel guilty for doing things that are NOT a sin.

Did anybody say that our conscience is solely a tool of the devil? No. God gave us our conscience, but many have been perverted or dilluted due to he influences of the flesh. Our Holy Spirits are pure, but our flesh is not. Therefore, the need for Christ.

dilloduck said:
The example always given is that if left to our own devices man would just run around being hedonistc and selfish but in many cultures without the bible this just doesn't happen.

You cannot claim that many cultures without the Bible do not participate in some forms of hedonistic behaviour. Every man is with sin; every single one. Therefore, that is an untrue statement that you just made.

The point of the Bible is to let you know that Christ suffered for our sins, so that we can have the opportunity for eternal life. Prior to his arrival, if man did not follow God's law, they were damned to death. But through God's grace, we - and they - now have a chance for forgiveness.

dilloduck said:
How is the 'holy spirit" supposed to be listened to if we do not use our conscience to determine if it is a true message or not?

If one is following God's word, loving him with all their heart, and praying for understanding and forgiveness, the Holy Spirit will guide you. You don't use your "conscience" to determine that, as our consciences are perverted through the flesh. You use God to determine that through prayer and through reading the Bible.

The problem is that most people do not pick up the Bible and read it through and through. They pick a verse here, a verse there, and they try to determine the meaning of the entire Bible. That is like picking up a Novel, reading one paragraph or two and then saying, "I know the entire story". To understand what it is that God wants us to know, we must read the Bible.

I recently started reading the NT and I am, I must admit, surprised at how ignorant I was/am. I have an entirely different view on matters now because the more I read, the more answers I find.

Even if you don't want to believe - as that is your choice - try reading it sometime. You might be surprised at how many of your questions already have answers to them written in the book. I would suggest an "Amplified" Bible (that is what I read) as it makes the reading more understandable.

freeandfun1 said:
Did anybody say that our conscience is solely a tool of the devil? No. God gave us our conscience, but many have been perverted or dilluted due to he influences of the flesh. Our Holy Spirits are pure, but our flesh is not. Therefore, the need for Christ.

For what exactly?
You cannot claim that many cultures without the Bible do not participate in some forms of hedonistic behaviour. Every man is with sin; every single one. Therefore, that is an untrue statement that you just made
I never said that they were perfect---I just said that they didn't run around "sinning" all the time. That is a true statement
The point of the Bible is to let you know that Christ suffered for our sins, so that we can have the opportunity for eternal life. Prior to his arrival, if man did not follow God's law, they were damned to death. But through God's grace, we - and they - now have a chance for forgiveness.

so you say--I think others can feel bad about what they have done, change they're ways and be forgiven.

If one is following God's word, loving him with all their heart, and praying for understanding and forgiveness, the Holy Spirit will guide you. You don't use your "conscience" to determine that, as our consciences are perverted through the flesh. You use God to determine that through prayer and through reading the Bible.

So what is our conscience used for ?
The problem is that most people do not pick up the Bible and read it through and through. They pick a verse here, a verse there, and they try to determine the meaning of the entire Bible. That is like picking up a Novel, reading one paragraph or two and then saying, "I know the entire story". To understand what it is that God wants us to know, we must read the Bible.

I recently started reading the NT and I am, I must admit, surprised at how ignorant I was/am. I have an entirely different view on matters now because the more I read, the more answers I find.

Even if you don't want to believe - as that is your choice - try reading it sometime. You might be surprised at how many of your questions already have answers to them written in the book. I would suggest an "Amplified" Bible (that is what I read) as it makes the reading more understandable.
That is your definition of the "problem". I think the problem is that some people claim to understand everything about God and are unwilling to continue to be reborn--they think they are somehow finished and have graduated into "special" people who have the right to force their interpretation onto others.

freeandfun1 said:
None of your replies made any sense. So be it.
not to you but maybe they did to someone else

You totally misrepresented what I wrote and I am sure you did it on purpose.
you may as well tell me why I did it too--- Cmon dude--you have no idea what's happening in my beaner--it's insulting.
If they were "finished" there would be no need for prayer or reading the Bible
then they should wait until they are finished with the lesson BEFORE preaching it.
Nobody is "forceing" anything. They are just presenting the facts as they see it. You have a right to disagree. You are the one that asks questions then when you don't get the answer you like, you say the respondant is "forceing" their beliefs on you

Your absolutely right--force is the wrong word. I'm not looking for answers that I like--Im looking for the truth just as you are. You claim to have found it and if I follow my God-given conscience I am wrong. I don't condemn you for your beliefs and will NEVER say you are wrong. When you say I am wrong it only feels as if you are forcing something on me but you are merely making a judgement call on my belief system
You know this is just a game to you, so admit it. Some might have more repsect for you if you did.

Apparently you didn't read anything I wrote because your answers make no sense as a reply.

sorry--i'm doing the best I can.

Forum List

Back