Ask the Christian...................

gop_jeff said:
Actually, it says that Death and Hades are thrown into the lake of fire. Hades does not equal hell.

Why is death cast into hell? Poor Azrael, eons of service and such a crappy retirement plan.

deaddude said:
You misunderstand me. Why does god need to cast all non christians into hell?
It seems illogical

Mankind is sinful, by nature. God is not. In fact, god declares that the wages of sin is death. So all of us are pretty much screwed.

However, God decided, because of His love for us, to provide an alternative. He sent His perfect (i.e. sinless) Son Jesus to die in our place. Jesus' death becomes a substitution for our own death - if we aceept that gift, through faith in Jesus.

So in a sense, the "default destination" for all mankind is hell. Those who put their faith in Christ are saved from that fate, and given an "alternate detination" of heaven.

So he the great and benign creator, created humanity so they could go to hell?

deaddude said:

He created them perfect - with the OPTION to go to hell if they chose....

"If you love something, let it go" - that sorta thing.

deaddude said:

No. We are doomed for hell if we do not repent of our sins. It is our choice. The "deafult" and "alternative" descriptors I used three posts up are not a good analogy, sorry.

If we repent our sins but through another religion are we still doomed to hell?

deaddude said:
If we repent our sins but through another religion are we still doomed to hell?

The whole idea of repenting is not just renouncing our sinful life - though that is important. The other half is living one's life in accordance with God's will. That's why the Bible says that we "confess with our mouths that Jesus is Lord." We are verbally confessing that we are seeking to live our lives in accordance with God's will, by coming under the lordship of Christ and believing in Him.

So every non-christian, even people who repent their sins, who live lives of charity, meekness, ect, are doomed to hell?

deaddude said:
So every non-christian, even people who repent their sins, who live lives of charity, meekness, ect, are doomed to hell?

Pretty much sums it up. They are not "doomed" unless they choose to be "doomed".

deaddude said:

Living the right way does not get anyone into heaven. Faith in Christ does. And Jesus Himself is the one who claimed to be the only way to God. So yes, if you turn away from your sins and try to live a good life, without becoming a Christian, then you are not getting to heaven.

gop_jeff said:
Living the right way does not get anyone into heaven. Faith in Christ does. And Jesus Himself is the one who claimed to be the only way to God. So yes, if you turn away from your sins and try to live a good life, without becoming a Christian, then you are not getting to heaven.

If I could be so bold as to clarify jeff - 'becoming a christian' isn't tied to a specific religous group. In this context "becoming a christian' means "Turning to, and following Christ" regardless or inspite of denominational affiliation, etc.

So people who never leanred of christ (admittedly those are few and far between) are going to hell?

Also you cahged from "go to hell" to "not go to heaven" was this intentional? If so where do such people go? Surely they do not deserve eternal punishment?

deaddude said:
So people who never leanred of christ (admittedly those are few and far between) are going to hell??

Tis probably the case. God knows the answer for sure.

deaddude said:
If so where do such people go? Surely they do not deserve eternal punishment?

Everyone deserves to reap what they sow. :(

deaddude said:
So people who never leanred of christ (admittedly those are few and far between) are going to hell?

I think God is smart enough to know that someone never heard of Christianity, and can judge appropriately. Romans chapter 1-2 talk about such cases.

Also you cahged from "go to hell" to "not go to heaven" was this intentional? If so where do such people go? Surely they do not deserve eternal punishment?

Well it's either or, so by saying "not go to heaven," you imply "go to hell."

See I have trouble believing that a benevolent God would send good people to eternal suffering simply because they did not believe in Him.

deaddude said:
See I have trouble believing that a benevolent God would send good people to eternal suffering simply because they did not believe in Him.

I have trouble believing that people can't see what G-d has given us. I have have trouble believing that people don't believe in G-d. The Bible doesn't just pass down stories. It is a roadmap of what will happen on earth and NONE of the Bible's prophecies have ever missed and there is much more to come! Get ready for a wild ride!

deaddude said:

Would you rather that a just God let people do whatever they wanted, good or bad?

To decide someone's eternal existence on this microsecond of time we call the human lifespan seems a bit unrealistic. If one's soul is truly eternal, isn't it possible to repent and accept Christ after you have died? If not, why not?

gop_jeff said:
Would you rather that a just God let people do whatever they wanted, good or bad?

No I am quite alright with the concept of reward and punishment, I just do not see why God would punish someone for not beleiveing in Him when their are so many religions. I do not think God would punish someone simply because they had faith in another god. Punishment for vile actions are fine, punishments for incorrect religious beleifs just doesn't work for me.

deaddude said:
No I am quite alright with the concept of reward and punishment, I just do not see why God would punish someone for not beleiveing in Him when their are so many religions. I do not think God would punish someone simply because they had faith in another god. Punishment for vile actions are fine, punishments for incorrect religious beleifs just doesn't work for me.

With all of the talk of the 10 commandments and you don't know:

ONE: 'You shall have no other gods before Me.'

It is the very first commandment. He is telling you that you can't have any other gods before him, because He is the only G-d. All others that claim to be god, or even one of many gods, are fallen angels. He is the only G-d and therefore, only through Him can YOU have eternal life.

As you can see, it is a compromise and a promise. Worship no other G-ds but me, as I am the ONLY G-d; and I will give YOU eternal life.

Is that fair? Me thinks so.

Forum List

Back