Ask me Anything. Really.

-=d=- said:
c'mon peeps :)

I'm sorry, but you didn't even try my last question (Answer: 8), so I'm a bit loathe to bother with any others, but here's one:

What was the name of the Roman Emperor who moved the imperial capital from Rome to Byzantium (shortly thereafter renamed Constantinople), and divided the Empire in half for administrative purposes?

Zhukov said:
I'm sorry, but you didn't even try my last question (Answer: 8), so I'm a bit loathe to bother with any others, but here's one:

What was the name of the Roman Emperor who moved the imperial capital from Rome to Byzantium (shortly thereafter renamed Constantinople), and divided the Empire in half for administrative purposes?

Uh...Constantine maybe? :)

Zhukov said:

I think I see now. Diocletian moved it, though Constantine the Great was the first Christian ruler? Granted my studies on this were a bit a ways back.

Zhukov said:
Wrong. It was Diocletian.

http://www.defense-training.com/quips/2003/29Sept03.html
In 330AD, Roman Emperor Constantine, in an effort to ecumenize the Empire, moved the imperial capital from the City of Rome on the Italian Peninsula southeast to Byzantium on the south shore of the Black Sea. Not surprisingly, Byzantium was subsequently renamed "Constantinople" after him, and also not surprisingly, the Empire permanently split into Eastern and Western Segments in 395AD, each with its own emperor, each claiming to be the "legitimate inheritor" of the first Roman emperor, Octavian Augustus', throne. The Western Roman Empire would not survive the following century.

No mention of Diocletian's moving the capital from this source (unless I missed it in all the text)
http://www.roman-emperors.org/dioclet.htm

Kathianne said:
I think I see now. Diocletian moved it, though Constantine the Great was the first Christian ruler? Granted my studies on this were a bit a ways back.

Diocletian divided the empire into an eastern and western portion, with the western portion ruled from Rome and the eastern portion ruled from Byzantium. This is technically the begining of the Byzantine Empire. Diocletian called himself Augustus and appointed an equal (in theory) Augustus on the throne in Rome. The two portions, west and east, were further subdivided into two realms, one ruled by the Augustus and the other ruled by a subordinate Caesar.

So you've got like four emperors, and this whole elaborate successor scheme.

Well, guess what happened when Diocletian retired.

Long story short, Constantine, son of the western Augustus Constantius, was the last man standing and, no modest man, renamed Byzantium after himself.

Yes he was the first Christian emperor. Prior to one of his pivotal military victories in the wars for ascension to the primary throne, so the story goes, Constantine saw a flaming Chi-Rho symbol (an X and a P in the latin alphabet superimposed on one another, and a Christian symbol) in the sky and immeadiately got down on his knees and converted. After Constantine an apostate ruled (Julian) and briefly restored paganism. After him it was Christians straight on until the Turks sacked Constantinople in 1453, over a thousand years later.

My source is:

"A History of the Byzantine State and Society", Treadgold, Warren, Stanford University Press, Stanford California, 1997

and the class for which that was the text book, taught by a really old (he may have been there) greek guy.

Zhukov said:
My source is:

"A History of the Byzantine State and Society", Treadgold, Warren, Stanford University Press, Stanford California, 1997

and the class for which that was the text book, taught by a really old (he may have been there) greek guy.

Thanks, coming back. I hate to say it, but time to bring out the copy of Suetonius. I suppose once in awhile everyone needs to catch up on the 12.

Bah, Diocletian ruled from Nicomedia not Byzantium. My bad. Even though Diocletian is considered the first Byzantine emperor, Constantine was the one who refounded the city of Byzantium. Go figure.

My excuse? Too much weed back in school.

I've let Profesor Kaldis down.

Everything else is correct though.....next time I'll make sure I have the correct answer before I try being a smart ass.

Zhukov said:
Bah, Diocletian ruled from Nicomedia not Byzantium. My bad. Even though Diocletian is considered the first Byzantine emperor, Constantine was the one who refounded the city of Byzantium. Go figure.

My excuse? Too much weed back in school.

I've let Profesor Kaldis down.

Everything else is correct though.....next time I'll make sure I have the correct answer before I try being a smart ass.

Yeah! I still think you had a point.

Forum List

Back