Ask A Schizophrenic

Look, asshole, don't tell me I'm wrong when I studied psychology for years under the tutelage of a psychology professor and even wrote a textbook on a branch of Applied Psychology just because you looked up some damn website somewhere.

Here, try this, genius:

Schizophrenia is a form of psychoses

Depending on the degree of severity, a schizophrenic can lead a fairly normal life of mild limitations under care and medication to needing full blown hospitalization unable to care for themselves at all.

We would, then, be interested in the pharmacokinetics of Abilify. D&G mention 'that awful noon and five-o'clock,' you mention ~ 4P wearing off. Thus, pharmacodynamics and circadian rhythm must be included in this investigation.
Thanks for your posts in this thread, badger.

I was first diagnosed schizophrenic at 19, and went directly to AA. Please keep this in mind, as you read this post.

Your Anti-Oedipus book demands serious attention, thus I have resolved to finish reading it entirely.

I’m actually somewhat familiar with some of D&G’s main points, though it’s been awhile. Over 30 years ago, I went to AA. My sponsor stressed getting out of self, since what I was really sick of, was myself. He was adamant about breaking my will and I saw much improvement, without taking any medication.

Keep in mind that the psychiatric medications that were available 30 years ago were awful stuff. I went to AA, even though I didn’t qualify as an alcoholic or addict, to treat my schizophrenia - as I didn’t want to take Haldol and Lithium. What 19 year old does?

Anyways, after I joined the Navy, I had a major meltdown and had to go on medication. Thus, my 12 step career ended (my doctors said I no longer needed AA) and here I am, 30 years later.

My old AA sponsor could have literally written the first 30 pages of D&G’s book.

To make a long story brief, I will investigate your book thoroughly. It will take me awhile, so please be patient.

Ironically, I was watching a short video the other day which was posted on one of the very few Youtube channels I peruse through whereby the narrator was presenting a comparison between schizophrenia and depression...

Excellent comparison of polarities, both involving, as D&G say, 'a brush up against psychosis.'

I am a diagnosed schizophrenic.

Ask me nearly anything and I’ll respond. I won’t be offended.

The purpose of this thread is to clear up any misunderstandings about mental illness.

The mental health crisis is a national security issue.

I’m ready to do my part, to help fix the problem.

Ask away.
Does it get tedious, frustrating, or whatever when people seem to intentionally avoid your thread topic? Or when they attempt to hijack it and make it about something else?

Look, asshole, don't tell me I'm wrong when I studied psychology for years under the tutelage of a psychology professor and even wrote a textbook on a branch of Applied Psychology just because you looked up some damn website somewhere.

Here, try this, genius:

Depending on the degree of severity, a schizophrenic can lead a fairly normal life of mild limitations under care and medication to needing full blown hospitalization unable to care for themselves at all.
Guattari was at the La Borde clinic.

Does it get tedious, frustrating, or whatever when people seem to intentionally avoid your thread topic?
Yes, LOL. 👏

In fact, I need to log off for awhile to meditate and keep those racing thoughts at bay. : - )

Yes, LOL. 👏

In fact, I need to log off for awhile to meditate and keep those racing thoughts at bay. : - )
Believe me my friend, I can relate. But those who understood your intent are truly a blessing.

And--forgive me if this has already been dealt with in this thread--are you still on the meds and are you avoiding most of the worst side effects and able to live as normally as you wish? (I ask this on behalf of a nephew who is struggling with this syndrome as well as trying to stay clean and sober from actual drug and alcohol addiction.)

Already

Here, try this, genius:

So your first example says the causes are unknown and then states that (oh, we know now) the basis is biological. What a joke. Capitalism itself has an intimate relationship with the schizophrenic process.

So your first example says the causes are unknown

Ah, not sure where you are trying to go with this. So what if the absolute cause of mental illness is not known?

The absolute cause of the Big Bang and the universe isn't known either, but we still have to deal with gravity, planets and mental illness.

Mental illness is a complex matter and it is very likely there are many different contributing factors.

Believe me my friend, I can relate. But those who understood your intent are truly a blessing.

And--forgive me if this has already been dealt with in this thread--are you still on the meds and are you avoiding most of the worst side effects and able to live as normally as you wish? (I ask this on behalf of a nephew who is struggling with this syndrome as well as trying to stay clean and sober from actual drug and alcohol addiction.)
Hi Foxfyre.

Thanks so much for your comments.

And yes, am still on Cymbalta (60mg daily) and Abilify (15mg daily). I manage to avoid the worst side effects; I live alone in my own apartment, have a part time job and a very understanding family. My social life needs work, as I am still single at age 51. Never been married or been in a serious long term relationship. Girls don’t seem to want to date a schizophrenic; have had that problem my whole adult life.

That said, there is much hope for your nephew. These new medications allow the kids to more or less live a normal life; with minimal side effects. If Abilify had been out there when I was a kid, I’m sure I would have had a different life and outcome.

I would tell your nephew to go to AA, take his meds and be around young folks his age. Nothing like a strong support system. Above all - family members like yourself have to help him become his own best advocate. That will enable him to become independent. What that means is attending NAMI meetings and networking with other families who have young people, with this condition. Reach out. Go on forums like you’re doing and learn. Read and take interest. Get and stay involved and he will make it. I sincerely hope he does. Won’t always be easy, but it will be worth it.

We took a look at OP's med, the antipsychotic Abilify (aka aripirazole). It's classed as a 2,3-dichlorophenylpiperazine, and is a partial agonist @ dopamine D2 receptors, @ 5-HT1a receptors, and is an antagonist of 5-HT2a receptors.

It acts by modulating neurotransmission overactivity of dopamine, which is though to mitigate schizophrenia symptoms. The citation for that claim is here:

Tracking the HT receptors, by default we come across the phytochemistry of St. John's Wort (Hypericum perforatum), traditionally used for depression:
Hypericum D2 Selectivity
'....sigma-1....'

Once we have targeted sigma-1 we come across the SARS2 connection via fluvoxamine:

Aripirazole / Sigma-1

SARS2 / Sigma-1 / Fluvoxamine
'....would perturb sigma-1 receptor-mediated virion assembly as viral proteins transfer from the cytoplasm to the endoplasmic reticulum.'

OP's med targets a SARS2 target.

Ah, not sure where you are trying to go with this. So what if the absolute cause of mental illness is not known?

The absolute cause of the Big Bang and the universe isn't known either, but we still have to deal with gravity, planets and mental illness.

Mental illness is a complex matter and it is very likely there are many different contributing factors.
The pathology is that your sources immediately jump into the biological realm, conveniently excising the environment the schizo is supposed to deal with. Stupid, in other words.

We have obviously gotten into more trouble by asking so many questions. Now we have to deal with ivermectin!

Hi Foxfyre.

Thanks so much for your comments.

And yes, am still on Cymbalta (60mg daily) and Abilify (15mg daily). I manage to avoid the worst side effects; I live alone in my own apartment, have a part time job and a very understanding family. My social life needs work, as I am still single at age 51. Never been married or been in a serious long term relationship. Girls don’t seem to want to date a schizophrenic; have had that problem my whole adult life.

That said, there is much hope for your nephew. These new medications allow the kids to more or less live a normal life; with minimal side effects. If Abilify had been out there when I was a kid, I’m sure I would have had a different life and outcome.

I would tell your nephew to go to AA, take his meds and be around young folks his age. Nothing like a strong support system. Above all - family members like yourself have to help him become his own best advocate. That will enable him to become independent. What that means is attending NAMI meetings and networking with other families who have young people, with this condition. Reach out. Go on forums like you’re doing and learn. Read and take interest. Get and stay involved and he will make it. I sincerely hope he does. Won’t always be easy, but it will be worth it.
He's not all that young being a bit older than you are, one of five brothers. He did have one relationship--married a gal with five kids who pretty quickly left him--has been in prison twice due to illegal activities to support his addictions, lived in halfway houses for quite some time upon release from prison, does go to AA and I presume is under a doctor's care for his mental issue. He now lives with his brother, also divorced, and seems to be functioning fairly well. But I do worry about him since he has had so many relapses.

Thank you so much for your honest and brave testimony though. Your condition is in no way your fault, has no doubt impacted your life in ways that must be difficult, but you seem to be dealing with it as constructively as possible and you no doubt give others hope.

I hope we cross paths again.

Thanks for your posts in this thread, badger.

I was first diagnosed schizophrenic at 19, and went directly to AA. Please keep this in mind, as you read this post.

Your Anti-Oedipus book demands serious attention, thus I have resolved to finish reading it entirely.

I’m actually somewhat familiar with some of D&G’s main points, though it’s been awhile. Over 30 years ago, I went to AA. My sponsor stressed getting out of self, since what I was really sick of, was myself. He was adamant about breaking my will and I saw much improvement, without taking any medication.

Keep in mind that the psychiatric medications that were available 30 years ago were awful stuff. I went to AA, even though I didn’t qualify as an alcoholic or addict, to treat my schizophrenia - as I didn’t want to take Haldol and Lithium. What 19 year old does?

Anyways, after I joined the Navy, I had a major meltdown and had to go on medication. Thus, my 12 step career ended (my doctors said I no longer needed AA) and here I am, 30 years later.

My old AA sponsor could have literally written the first 30 pages of D&G’s book.

To make a long story brief, I will investigate your book thoroughly. It will take me awhile, so please be patient.
Oh yes, badger2 has a copy, and needs to review it.

The pathology is that your sources immediately jump into the biological realm, conveniently excising the environment the schizo is supposed to deal with. Stupid, in other words.

Everyone deals with the same environmental factors. The variable here is the individual's brain. This leads to an organic difference, not a spiritual or mystical one, why one brain is more susceptible to mental illness over another. The one remaining variable which IS environmental is UPBRINGING. Upbringing equates much akin to how a programmer programs a computer in helping the brain organize and cope with its environment. Bad programming/upbringing equates to poorer performance/difficulties in dealing with things.

But thanks for calling a medical website run by doctors "stupid."

BTW, do you have any formal training in the field of medicine or psychology?

Does it get tedious, frustrating, or whatever when people seem to intentionally avoid your thread topic? Or when they attempt to hijack it and make it about something else?
Like you just did here? I apologize for this, grogu, and I am finding your journey amazing to read and think about.

well Tube, it dawned on me that i'm not only an a**hole, i've spent a career working with a**sholes in the trades

POINT?

God's special children have every right to exist

or something along the lines of that biblical bullsh*t...... :cheers2: ~S~

Forum List

Back