Ashamed To Be Black

B

Big D

The biggest irony of the attack is that Dr. Miranda, a pediatrician, is a true friend of African-Americans. She lives and practices in a neighborhood just south of violence-prone Midtown. Even more, she routinely donates diapers and formula to low-income families, and she often treats indigent black patients without charge.

And this is the kind of woman the mob wanted to hurt or kill?

After having her vehicle attacked, after being injured and after having the words "white bitch" screamed in her face during the attack, here is part of what Miranda told the St. Petersburg Times: "I have to say that my patients have been so gracious. A lot of families came by the office. I have received numerous cards and I have had families call me and apologize for other people's behavior....This is a very, very small minority because I know the bulk of the Afro-American community does not act that way. They've been very warm and embracing."

And now, I must say the following: Living in St. Petersburg during the past 10 years has made me ashamed of being African-American.

Never have I been around so many irrational, immature, irresponsible, do-nothing black adults - clergy and secular - who pawn themselves off as "leaders." NAACP president Darryl Rouson is an exception.

Never have I seen such a high percentage of black parents who fail to parent adequately, who seem incapable of creating a culture of learning in their homes, who, quite frankly, let their children roam the streets and cut the fool in school.

Never have I seen so many blacks who refuse to invest in their own community, who will not pool their resources for the greater good, who blame their problems on white people who live in communities many miles away.

Never have I seen such a high percentage of blacks who tolerate the presence of active criminals in their neighborhoods, who remain silent about black-on-black crime.

Never have I been in a town where a small, fringe group of malcontents has been given the power to distort reality to such a degree, to turn the city into something that it is not.

As a black man who was reared by sober, industrious and selfless adults who cared about the future of the children in their lives, I am ashamed of what we have done to ourselves. Despite the fact that racism, unofficial and institutional, still limits opportunities for blacks, we continue to squander opportunities by failing to "do for self," as the late Elijah Muhammad of the Nation of Islam was fond of saying.

When we burn our own communities and abandon our children's futures, we are not doing for self. We are, in fact, self-destructing.
http://www.sptimes.com/2004/05/23/Columns/Innocent_victims_of_a.shtml

Originally posted by -=d=-
I'm not ashamed to be black.

:shrug:

Funny. There's a picture of you looking real "white" sitting on a motorcycle in the pictures section..... :confused:

If you rode his bikes, you would be scared white too. :D

Originally posted by Pale Rider
Funny. There's a picture of you looking real "white" sitting on a motorcycle in the pictures section..... :confused:

why you judging me? Because my skin has less pigment than Wesley Snipes doesn't mean I'm any less black - just ask my wife ;)

Big-D, he has the same name you do.....he just isn't as big.

Can't you be his friend?

Originally posted by -=d=-
why you judging me? Because my skin has less pigment than Wesley Snipes doesn't mean I'm any less black - just ask my wife ;)

Yeah... he's more of a Michael Jackson kind of black... hopefully without the pedophila though.

Originally posted by gop_jeff
Yeah... he's more of a Michael Jackson kind of black... hopefully without the pedophila though.

Careful, nobody said pedophilia was a BLACK trait. :eek:

Originally posted by DKSuddeth
no, but currently it appears to be a michael jackson trait.

NO debating that one.

The only person to be born a black man and die a white woman.

(Sigh) This is just another example of the old attitude (a common mindset) that subtly tells people to determine to what "group" they supposedly belong, join with that group, define themselves on the basis of that group, and fight other groups. I don't subscribe to such a mindset.

This is a perfect example for why I try to avoid thinking of people collectively (on the basis of race as a primary example). I try to hold onto an individualist mind set. Ashamed to be Black?!? Ashamed of the color that you were born with? No. Some individuals who happen to be Black might be ashamed of some of the rhetoric and activity of some self-described leaders of the "Black community". As a parallel: I try to not define myself as White before I define myself as an individual. I am White. I am ashamed of how Whites treated Blacks years ago, but I am not ashamed to be White any more than I am ashamed to have Black hair, blue-green eyes.

Originally posted by mattskramer
(Sigh) This is just another example of the old attitude (a common mindset) that subtly tells people to determine to what "group" they supposedly belong, join with that group, define themselves on the basis of that group, and fight other groups. I don't subscribe to such a mindset.

You know who encourages this anti-individualism? The dirty, greasy libs.

Originally posted by mattskramer
Is your family a group you belong too?

Here is another article with pictures, more then 100 blacks attacked this white family.

Could you imagine the media, if this had been 100 whites attacking a black family?
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The couple, three of their children and a friend had just left Adriano's Italian Restaurant at 3405 34th St. N and were heading to their Maximo neighborhood around 10 p.m. when trouble struck, Dr. Miranda said.

"We're stopped at the red light and I see all these people coming west on 18th Avenue S and I said to my husband that the baseball game has just let out," she recalled.

"I said, "I hope the light turns or else we're going to be stopped here for a while.' "

The approaching crowd, she observed, was made up of mostly boys and girls, teenagers about 14 to 18, and a sprinkling of adults. They were closing in on a car traveling north on 34th.

"All of a sudden they reach that car and start pelting that car with rocks. He had his sunroof open and they were trying to pull him out of the sun roof. I said, "Oh, my God. Oh, my God. They're going to kill him.' At the same time, kids start running across the street toward us. I would say close to 100 kids. It was mayhem. It was havoc," the Cuban-born doctor said.

"When they started pelting that guy's car, I said, "Frank, this must be a riot.' "

Out of the corner of her eye, she saw a girl, 16 or 17 years old, approaching their vehicle with a concrete block in her hand.

"She said, "Yes, we're black and get out of our neighborhood,' " and threw the block at the front passenger seat, Dr. Miranda recalled.

"After she hit the car, she said, "We got the white b--'s car.' . . . It shattered the window and I got cuts and scrapes on my back from the piece that hit my back."

The crowd broke the windshield and the windows in the back and sides of the SUV. Marsalisi, 49, director of gynecology at Bayfront Medical Hospital, was cut on his forehead.
http://www.sptimes.com/2004/05/19/Neighborhoodtimes/Angry_mob_rattles_fai.shtml

Forum List

Back