As a general principle, a universal truism, if your political philosophy often leaves you unwilling to answer simple questions about it . . .

Seymour Flops

Diamond Member
Nov 25, 2021
Texas
. . . it is your political philosophy that is flawed, not the questions.

Sure, there are questions that are in the vein of "have you stopped beating your wife," but most of the time when people won't answer questions about their own political positions, it is because they are not willing to defend their positions.

Here's one example, but it happens a lot:

If you honestly believe that a woman person capable of getting pregnant has the right to abort the baby right up until the moment of birth, just say so. If you believe that a reduction in abortions of black babies would be a bad thing, say so. If you believe that a baby born five minutes ago has value, but that the same baby had no value yesterday, say so.

It applies to both sides. If you are pro-life, and that means to you that women who are raped must carry the rapist's baby to delivery, be ready to say so. If you act like you never thought of that, it makes you look foolish.

As so often in politics, thinking things through is the solution. That plus honest debate with people who disagree with you.

As so often in politics, thinking things through is the solution. That plus honest debate with people who disagree with you.
This is simply impossible right now.

The walls are up in both tribes. Just being honest is considered capitulation, weakness. You can see a partisan ideologue's mind churning when asked a tough question, which is why deflection is now the go-to tactic in political "discourse". To put it more simply, the tribes are simply afraid to be honest. And this is clearly getting even worse.

We need leaders - cultural, political, business - who have enough self esteem and confidence to just be honest to start a trend here.

Sure, there are questions that are in the vein of "have you stopped beating your wife," but most of the time when people won't answer questions about their own political positions, it is because they are not willing to defend their positions.

If you honestly believe that a woman person capable of getting pregnant has the right to abort the baby right up until the moment of birth, just say so.

Sometimes the circumstances demand that, but it's never a desirable outcome for any pregnancy.

There, I've taken your bait, but not to serve your purpose. Only to expose your extremist Christian views.

Do you support your bible's advocating the murder of babies and children?
I mean, given the right circumstances too?

Sometimes the circumstances demand that, but it's never a desirable outcome for any pregnancy.

There, I've taken your bait, but not to serve your purpose. Only to expose your extremist Christian views.
How about your own views on whether a baby has value the day before it is born?
Do you support your bible's advocating the murder of babies and children?
I mean, given the right circumstances too?
No, I don't support anything in the Bible just because it is in the bible. I support what I agree with in the bible, and do not support what I don't agree with. I believe that is true for the overwhelming majority of people who read the bible.

Ask just one loaded question and you have forfeited any expectation that you will be seen as a fair-minded individual. As a general rule people are hesitant to give their thoughts when they know only ridicule will be given as a rebuttal.

If you honestly believe that a woman person capable of getting pregnant has the right to abort the baby right up until the moment of birth, just say so. If you believe that a reduction in abortions of black babies would be a bad thing, say so. If you believe that a baby born five minutes ago has value, but that the same baby had no value yesterday, say so.

It applies to both sides. If you are pro-life, and that means to you that women who are raped must carry the rapist's baby to delivery, be ready to say so. If you act like you never thought of that, it makes you look foolish.

She answered his question, if he didn't like that answer, for whatever reason, that is on him, not her. She doesn't owe him an answer he likes.

How about your own views on whether a baby has value the day before it is born?
All babies and fetuses have value.
No, I don't support anything in the Bible just because it is in the bible. I support what I agree with in the bible, and do not support what I don't agree with. I believe that is true for the overwhelming majority of people who read the bible.
As with abortion, the bible is conditional and dependent on circumstances.

In Canada we are interested much more in preventing the need for abortions, and taking socially responsible action to eliminate or reduce that need.

You're not. You're only interested in extremism, force, and the elimination of a woman's rights.

I don't understand why, when faced with an obvious yes or no question, these people launch into an extended diatribe that is irrelevant to the question that was asked.

I don't understand why, when faced with an obvious yes or no question, these people launch into an extended diatribe that is irrelevant to the question that was asked.
We have the right to remain silent but we choose to have everything we say held against us in a court of law.

We are jesus' little men,
yes by jesus christ you am. (em)

Simple answers are for simpletons who can't deal with all the messy gray areas in life.

We have the right to remain silent but we choose to have everything we say held against us in a court of law.

We are jesus' little men,
yes by jesus christ you am. (em)
You should be ashamed, duck. Hitting the sauce already on a Sunday morning or are you just carrying on last nights binge? Come back when you can formulate a coherent statement.

Ask just one loaded question and you have forfeited any expectation that you will be seen as a fair-minded individual. As a general rule people are hesitant to give their thoughts when they know only ridicule will be given as a rebuttal.
How is "does a baby have value the day before it is born?" an unfair question?

If it is "loaded" that is because the overwhelming majority of people can answer "yes," without hesitation, and therefore, it would be uncomfortable for a person who cannot.

People are inherently dishonest, self-serving and irrational - this will never change.

Our political system is massively/deliberately corrupt, and completely beyond the control of The People, so blaming The People is ridiculous.

You're welcome. :)

Did you stop beating your wife? A simple yes or no answer will do.
When was a question like that asked, moron? I believe the senator asked if she believed babies had value before and after birth. The other was asked if she felt black babies should be aborted at a greater rate than non black babies. She actually said she wouldn't answer the question at hand and wanted to answer the question that she formulated. Your attempt to subvert the narrative to the irrelevant is as effective as hers was. IOW, FAIL.

How is "does a baby have value the day before it is born?" an unfair question?

If it is "loaded" that is because the overwhelming majority of people can answer "yes," without hesitation, and therefore, it would be uncomfortable for a person who cannot.
In an adversarial debate no one is going to give a simple simple yes or no to a question meant only to give credence to your entire argument.

Forum List

Back