CDZ Artificial Intelligence-assisted meritocracy

there4eyeM

unlicensed metaphysician
Jul 5, 2012
The weaknesses of democracy are abundantly clear. The alternatives to democracy are abundantly unattractive. Meritocracy sounds like a good idea, yet we understandably fear what will pass for "merit". With a proven standard applied objectively, we could envision a just and efficient system with democratic/republican (note lowercase consonants!) supervision, perhaps a senate-like body.
America has become so complex and at the same time so confused that the present government is not up to managing our position in the world. What about examining a combination of the maximum that artificial intelligence can contribute to a maximum of what our best and brightest can? More or less, it could resemble something like replacing the House while keeping a modified Senate and a stable Judicial branch.
Please notice that this is not a left-right issue in the mind of this poster.

Alexis de Tocqueville, a 19th century fan French fan of America and chronically of the American experiment once wrote:

'America will be finished when the electorate discovers they can vote themselves the national treasury.'

He figured it out.

Benjamin Franklin:
"
“When the people find that they can vote themselves money that will herald the end of the republic.”

But, what has that to do with the proposition?

This doesn't seem to be too radical and idea, given our acceptance of modern technology. In fact, it is merely a logical extension of original American thinking. Does anyone see a fundamental, ideological objection?

America has become so complex and at the same time so confused that the present government is not up to managing our position in the world.

America has always been complex and has had to deal with complex issues.

The question isn't whether or not our government can deal with our position in the world. The question is, what should our position in the world be? Is being a 'super power' in today's world to our national advantage?

The U.S. could become a 'superpower' on another scale, setting a new example to the world of efficient, thus, powerful, administration with far less cost and far greater stability. This, in turn, would lend to greater power on the world stage with less dependence on military for it.

The U.S. could become a 'superpower' on another scale, setting a new example to the world of efficient, thus, powerful, administration with far less cost and far greater stability. This, in turn, would lend to greater power on the world stage with less dependence on military for it.

In order for government to become efficient it would have to limit itself to those things that are within the scope of an efficient government.

Unfortunately, government sees no limitations to its scope and will continue to expand until it begins to collapse in on itself. In that way, governments are like Universes.

In order for government to become efficient it would have to limit itself to those things that are within the scope of an efficient government.

Unfortunately, government sees no limitations to its scope and will continue to expand until it begins to collapse in on itself. In that way, governments are like Universes.
That is exactly where skilled thinkers and technicians aided by "artificial intelligence" would come most to bear.

That is exactly where skilled thinkers and technicians aided by "artificial intelligence" would come most to bear.

"I'll believe in artificial intelligence when a computer kills itself for thinking it's too fat."

The level of political dialog in America gives witness to the necessity for fundamental change. If we do not take steps with constructive, peaceful measures, much less pleasant ones will occur.

Robots probably wouldn't have much to do with it, but the associated machine logic will.
in fact, "artificial intelligence" doesn't really strike me as a very good term. It implies too much while defining too little. A friend very highly placed in the field says he doesn't see machines being able to fully function as a human can in regards to learning, inferring and intuition, etc. He does, however, have complete confidence that even present "a.i." will make huge contributions to productivity.

Robots probably wouldn't have much to do with it, but the associated machine logic will.
in fact, "artificial intelligence" doesn't really strike me as a very good term. It implies too much while defining too little. A friend very highly placed in the field says he doesn't see machines being able to fully function as a human can in regards to learning, inferring and intuition, etc. He does, however, have complete confidence that even present "a.i." will make huge contributions to productivity.

So i need to ask, isn't the advancement of 'AI' predicated on it's ability to dicern , to parse out, to be able to think conceptually?

Think about it 4eyeM, there so much sh*t circulating about zygotes being aware, having a SOUL for religmos to save

WTF are we going to do when some piece of machinery assumes such regard?

~S~

So i need to ask, isn't the advancement of 'AI' predicated on it's ability to dicern , to parse out, to be able to think conceptually?

Think about it 4eyeM, there so much sh*t circulating about zygotes being aware, having a SOUL for religmos to save

WTF are we going to do when some piece of machinery assumes such regard?

~S~

You seem to be speaking as if "a.i." were not a cat already far out of the bag. It certainly isn't just going to stop. Of course, you are correct that human will anthropomorphize as they do with animals, but the creation will not pass its creator. On the contrary, if the creator, we humans, use our own natural abilities fully, these artificial aids will only enhance existence.

but the creation will not pass its creator.

But that's the kicker 4eyeM

How many sci fi flicks portray the ascention of AI, along with the inevitable conflict with lowly humans?

Yeah, it's all just sci-fi.....b.b.b.b.but.....

wallpaper-351516.jpg

Sorry, apparently, my posts have not been clear enough. Robots and autonomous systems are not the subject and are of no interest.
The subject is meritocratic humans aided by "a.i." entities; logarithms, programs, information crunching, jurisprudence histories, precedents, etc.
No killing is involved.

meritocratic humans

Ok, my bad the 4eyeM

but i feel i must point out the term just a tad oxymoronish ,as humans have never subscribed to a meritocray ,mostly feigned it's potential , while getting a leg up on those that buy into it.

So implying AI ascending to be humanities moral compass would be (jmho) assuming they've evolved to be aware of humainties incessant moral turpitude

This is where i have to wonder how stark misanthophy would factor in....?

Am i on track?

~S~

The weaknesses of democracy are abundantly clear. The alternatives to democracy are abundantly unattractive. Meritocracy sounds like a good idea, yet we understandably fear what will pass for "merit". With a proven standard applied objectively, we could envision a just and efficient system with democratic/republican (note lowercase consonants!) supervision, perhaps a senate-like body.
America has become so complex and at the same time so confused that the present government is not up to managing our position in the world. What about examining a combination of the maximum that artificial intelligence can contribute to a maximum of what our best and brightest can? More or less, it could resemble something like replacing the House while keeping a modified Senate and a stable Judicial branch.
Please notice that this is not a left-right issue in the mind of this poster.

Government should be confused because when government is efficient it screws We The People. That's why the Founders put the three branches at odds with each other. America is not a pure Democracy. An example of a pure Democracy.......5 people.....4 men and 1 woman. The men vote to rape the woman. Not good for the woman.

Democracy was a good idea compared to the dominant forms of kingdoms and empires. With new means and ideas at our disposal, we can attain an 'ûberdemokratie'. Public participation could be just as great or greater than at present, with direct input rather than by the filter of eternally campaigning 'representatives' who only represent their own interests. No sacrifice of individual liberties would be necessary and quite the opposite would be possible.

This type of governmental revolution should and will happen. It will be better for all humankind.

Forum List

Back