Arrested for Wishing?

Vel

Platinum Member
Oct 30, 2008
Tennessee
Are we really arresting children for wishing now? The thought police seem to be winning. Unless there is alot more to this story this country is in serious trouble.
Bullied Elementary Student Arrested After Wishing For Gun
YUBA CITY —
When 11-year-old Brenton Peraita got sent to the office of his elementary school, he knew he was in big trouble. But then... "I was just sitting in one of the chairs in the office, waiting. And I saw a police officer. And I was like, 'Oh No,'" Brenton said.

Police arrested Brenton for making criminal threats after he said he wished he had a gun to get rid of some other students- students that, he says, had been bullying and abusing him.
Elementary Student Arrested After Wishing For Gun in Yuba City - KTXL

Are teachers not allowed to ream kids out for being bullies anymore?

"Jose Peraita acknowledges that, in the present context of school violence and tragedy on campuses around the country, threats need to be taken seriously. But he says he thinks that should have happened long ago when his son first felt threatened by the bullies."

Sad that nothing was doing prior to this kid blurting out about the gun. Fail on the school's part.

While not arguing the incidents leading up to the arrest, I just find it odd that in our brave new world you can have a guy tell his wife, "If you leave me I'll come back and kill you bitch" and have the police tell the wife that they're sorry, they have to wait until the guy actually DOES something before they can act, and yet we arrest a child for saying I WISH I could kill you.

I don't understand why the police were involved, but that "wish" certainly is a serious matter. There is always more to the story when minors and schools are involved. As Judge Judy would say "If it doesn't make sense, it's probably not true". I'd love to know the whole story. Chances are that kid is truly disturbed.

The majority of these storys are kids of color bulling white kids.

I don't understand why the police were involved, but that "wish" certainly is a serious matter. There is always more to the story when minors and schools are involved. As Judge Judy would say "If it doesn't make sense, it's probably not true". I'd love to know the whole story. Chances are that kid is truly disturbed.

While the child wishing his schoolmates dead is certainly serious and needs to be addressed, the bigger matter to me is that we've crossed a line in that we have someone being punished simply for expressing a desire to commit a crime. How many people in this world have played the game of "What would I do if I knew I wouldn't get caught?" When did we reach a point where we criminalize our thoughts?

The majority of these storys are kids of color bulling white kids.

Just to note.. there is a sub-forum on USMB dealing with race relations. Would you be so kind as to confine your irrelevant racial diatribes there please?

While the child wishing his schoolmates dead is certainly serious and needs to be addressed, the bigger matter to me is that we've crossed a line in that we have someone being punished simply for expressing a desire to commit a crime. How many people in this world have played the game of "What would I do if I knew I wouldn't get caught?" When did we reach a point where we criminalize our thoughts?

We haven't. At least not in NJ. Here a "terroristic threat" must be credible - including both intent and means to carry it out. That's why I suspect we are getting half the story. The other half may onclude "my dads got a gun and I know how to use it" I'm not sure about the law in that state, but I still think it was more than a "wish"

I hope chanel is right and there is more to this story. From the article it sounds as though the family does not own a gun and no gun was found. That would certainly make this a ridiculous event.

I also would not jump to the conclusion that there's anything wrong with the child. If he truly has been bullied for months, is it any wonder he would have violent thoughts about his tormentors? Besides which, people take these things way too seriously these days IMO. I understand that in the post-Columbine, school shooting, fear of terrorism world we live in, people are going to overreact a lot, but I still find it pretty silly sometimes. Children have made violent statements or threats probably since we developed language, unless it's a pattern with the child or there's some other factors involved I don't think it means much.

If everything in the article is accurate, I'd like to see some school officials fired and perhaps an apology from the police department. If there's more to the story, I may change my mind about that.

• Thanks
Reactions: Vel

I can understand it making it's way to the Principal's Office, but no farther. Booking an 11 year old kid, Finger Printing Him, Mug Shots, without the Parents knowledge??? What is the History, not that we should even know, he is a Minor. Council ling??? Therapy???? Maybe. Arrest, at that point, absurd. Especially if there is no prior history.

She was thinking sinful thoughts. She will burn in a lake of fire for eternity. The school did not go far enough- God's law should rule on Earth as in Heaven.

You missed your 9:00PM Medication again. ;) Tell Jesus and Buddha, Mohammed, and John the Baptist Hi for me! ;) I'll catch them at next weeks Poker Game.

Or the parents...what kind of kid thinks shooting people is a way to solve problems?

But, shooting people does solve problems!

About to get raped? shoot him!

About to get mugged? shoot him!

Is your child about to get kidnapped? shoot him!

Arresting him and taking him to the police station for simply saying something is not a crime. The parents should sue the city. I see no problem with the kid being questioned by a police officer at the school, but that's as far as it should have gone once deemed he is not a realistic threat. This is California, however, so common sense need not apply.

That's why I'm still skeptical. It would not surprise me if the school officials over reacted by calling the police. But the cops know the law. I just can't see them arresting the kid. Unless that's what CA law says. And in that case, the parents would have no case to sue. I'll check later to see what legally constitutes a threat there.

I disagree with you here. He was arrested for making a threat. There is a big difference between thinking something and threatening to do it.

I do not know that this kid would ever have done something but it would have been a tragedy to find out that yes, he would have and the administrative staff at school had known he had made threats before. Better to nip this in the bud now rather than wake up to the news that some kid had gone ballistic in Yuba City and fifteen students and three teachers were now being mourned... um, even if the teachers were part of the union. ;)

This arrest has not ruined the kid's life, but a murder rap could have.

I'm not excusing the bullies either!

Immie

This is the CA law. Doesn't sound like "wishing" qualifies.

The Elements of the Crime of Criminal Threats

1. The defendant willfully threatened to unlawfully kill or unlawfully inflict great bodily injury on another person;

2. The defendant made the threat orally or in writing or by electronic communication device;

3. The defendant intended that the statement be understood as a threat and intended that it be received by the other person;

4. The threat was so clear, immediate, unconditional, and specific that it communicated to the other person a serious intention and the immediate prospect that the threat would be carried out;

5. The threat actually caused the other person to be in sustained fear for her or his own safety or for the safety of her or his immediate family;

AND

6. The other person's fear was reasonable under the circumstances.

California laws on "Criminal Threats" | Penal Code 422 PC

Are we really arresting children for wishing now? The thought police seem to be winning. Unless there is alot more to this story this country is in serious trouble.
Bullied Elementary Student Arrested After Wishing For Gun
YUBA CITY —
When 11-year-old Brenton Peraita got sent to the office of his elementary school, he knew he was in big trouble. But then... "I was just sitting in one of the chairs in the office, waiting. And I saw a police officer. And I was like, 'Oh No,'" Brenton said.

Police arrested Brenton for making criminal threats after he said he wished he had a gun to get rid of some other students- students that, he says, had been bullying and abusing him.
Elementary Student Arrested After Wishing For Gun in Yuba City - KTXL
Typical. When the school fails the kid, he makes a silly comment because he is sick of the bullying, then the school decides to do something. The school needs to investigated for incompetence.

Forum List

Back