Arrested for Wishing?

I wonder if this kid would have gotten in trouble for saying "I wish that there were no zero-tolerance policies so that I could convey my other wishes."

I don't understand why the police were involved, but that "wish" certainly is a serious matter. There is always more to the story when minors and schools are involved. As Judge Judy would say "If it doesn't make sense, it's probably not true". I'd love to know the whole story. Chances are that kid is truly disturbed.

While the child wishing his schoolmates dead is certainly serious and needs to be addressed, the bigger matter to me is that we've crossed a line in that we have someone being punished simply for expressing a desire to commit a crime. How many people in this world have played the game of "What would I do if I knew I wouldn't get caught?" When did we reach a point where we criminalize our thoughts?

I disagree with you here. He was arrested for making a threat. There is a big difference between thinking something and threatening to do it.

I do not know that this kid would ever have done something but it would have been a tragedy to find out that yes, he would have and the administrative staff at school had known he had made threats before. Better to nip this in the bud now rather than wake up to the news that some kid had gone ballistic in Yuba City and fifteen students and three teachers were now being mourned... um, even if the teachers were part of the union. ;)

This arrest has not ruined the kid's life, but a murder rap could have.

I'm not excusing the bullies either!

Immie

I guess we'll just have to agree to disagree because I don't think what the child said amounted to a credible threat. He did not say, "I'm going to get a gun.", if this has been reported accurately. What he was reported to have said was that he wished he had one. He had no means to make that wish reality. I think he needed to have his wish addressed but I don't think that he should have been arrested. If it was right for this child to be hauled off to jail, then why does Charlie Sheen walk free after the below statement?

" Her lawyer provided paperwork alleging several "specific, descriptive threats" made by Sheen, and he was ordered to stay at least 100 yards (91 meters) away from Mueller. One specific threat outlined in the complaint was that Sheen allegedly told Mueller, "I will cut your head off, put it in a box and send it to your mom."

Read more: Charlie Sheen Swings Machete From Rooftop, Yells 'Free at Last!' - FoxNews.com

While the child wishing his schoolmates dead is certainly serious and needs to be addressed, the bigger matter to me is that we've crossed a line in that we have someone being punished simply for expressing a desire to commit a crime. How many people in this world have played the game of "What would I do if I knew I wouldn't get caught?" When did we reach a point where we criminalize our thoughts?

I disagree with you here. He was arrested for making a threat. There is a big difference between thinking something and threatening to do it.

I do not know that this kid would ever have done something but it would have been a tragedy to find out that yes, he would have and the administrative staff at school had known he had made threats before. Better to nip this in the bud now rather than wake up to the news that some kid had gone ballistic in Yuba City and fifteen students and three teachers were now being mourned... um, even if the teachers were part of the union. ;)

This arrest has not ruined the kid's life, but a murder rap could have.

I'm not excusing the bullies either!

Immie

I guess we'll just have to agree to disagree because I don't think what the child said amounted to a credible threat. He did not say, "I'm going to get a gun.", if this has been reported accurately. What he was reported to have said was that he wished he had one. He had no means to make that wish reality. I think he needed to have his wish addressed but I don't think that he should have been arrested. If it was right for this child to be hauled off to jail, then why does Charlie Sheen walk free after the below statement?

" Her lawyer provided paperwork alleging several "specific, descriptive threats" made by Sheen, and he was ordered to stay at least 100 yards (91 meters) away from Mueller. One specific threat outlined in the complaint was that Sheen allegedly told Mueller, "I will cut your head off, put it in a box and send it to your mom."

Read more: Charlie Sheen Swings Machete From Rooftop, Yells 'Free at Last!' - FoxNews.com

The way I read what happened is like this. It was like saying under your breath just loud enough to be heard, "If I had a gun, I would blow your brains out." I think he meant to be heard and he was clearly making a threat, trying to appear brave. Do I think he intended to follow through, No. I think he was trying to scare them away.

It is times like these when kids are pushed to the breaking point that catastrophes happen. Do I think the kid should be prosecuted? No, but I think the police taking him to the police station and arresting him (which until a conviction occurs means nothing) might just scare the crap out of him enough to prevent any further thoughts of revenge.

Do I think he should be prosecuted? No. The authorities have made their point. Better to be safe than sorry.

As for the bullies? Someone take them behind the shed and show them what it is like to be a victim and beat the shit out of them.

Immie

Forum List

Back