Arrest Made In Arson Fire At Florida Mosque

Joseph Michael Schreiber was arrested and charged with second-degree arson of a Florida Mosque where Omar Mateen attended prayers. If the charges are true, then I am glad this lunatic is off the streets.

Arrest Made In Arson Fire At Florida Mosque, Officials Say

Man Arrested for Allegedly Setting Fire at Florida Mosque

Joseph Schreiber: 5 Fast Facts You Need to Know
glad they got them

but 30 years seems a bit much.

I am not sure what that average sentence is in Florida for second-degree arson, but his past criminal record and the possible addition of hate crime charges will likely add some jail time if he is found guilty.

Joseph Michael Schreiber was arrested and charged with second-degree arson of a Florida Mosque where Omar Mateen attended prayers. If the charges are true, then I am glad this lunatic is off the streets.

glad they got them

Disagree, it's perfectly appropriate.

Setting fire to places of worship motivated by hate and bigotry is a serious crime.

glad they got them

I am not sure what that average sentence is in Florida for second-degree arson, but his past criminal record and the possible addition of hate crime charges will likely add some jail time if he is found guilty.
yea that's true

not sure payback is worth the 'hate' add on

glad they got them

Setting fire to places of worship motivated by hate and bigotry is a serious crime.
you can kill someone and get less

you're just an islomoaplogist and want revenge, not justice

glad they got them

Unless of course it is a white christian church right? Then all is good right?:

Expand on the hate and bigotry.
What constitutes hate..
What constitutes bigotry...
...in this case.

yea that's true

I am not sure the authorities will see it that way if they have compelling evidence that this was motivated by some sort of animus. That being said, I don't support hate crime laws b/c it does nothing to deter future crime and feels like criminalizing free thought as well as free speech.

yea that's true

I am not sure the authorities will see it that way if they have compelling evidence that this was motivated by some sort of animus. That being said, I don't support hate crime laws b/c it does nothing to deter future crime and feels like criminalizing free thought as well as free speech.
"Hate crime" was created to circumvent double jeopardy, giving more power to the state.

yea that's true

"Hate crime" was created to circumvent double jeopardy, giving more power to the state.

I've never heard that criticism before. What makes think hate crime laws circumvent double jeopardy?

yea that's true

I've never heard that criticism before. What makes think hate crime laws circumvent double jeopardy?

Not "hate crime" per say, but when the feds come in and prosecute someone for violating civil rights. It was a needed tactic back when Southern local judicial systems turned a blind eye to white on black violence.

It was needed then, but I can see the opportunity for misuse.

yea that's true

When you found not guilty by your peers, the Feds try you again as "hate crime. Basically trying you twice for the same "crime."

yea that's true

Not "hate crime" per say, but when the feds come in and prosecute someone for violating civil rights. It was a needed tactic back when Southern local judicial systems turned a blind eye to white on black violence.

The doctrine of dual sovereignty comes to play as well.

yea that's true

When you found not guilty by your peers, the Feds try you again as "hate crime. Basically trying you twice for the same "crime."

Dual sovernity doctrine is long established in our legal system.

yea that's true

The doctrine of dual sovereignty comes to play as well.

I agree, that's why I didn't say it was unconstitutional. My misgivings it that it can be misused.

Another chip in our legal protections made necessary by the failure of Reconstruction. It's amazing how long some historical events can impact things.

yea that's true

Dual sovernity doctrine is long established in our legal system.
Multiple charges are brought about on the same trial. On jury trials they are judged separately by the jurors. No need for yet another Fed trial. Nowadays, those "hate crimes" are prosecuted for the appeasement of certain groups of society.

Forum List

Back