Arnie's gone, died at 87.

62 PGA wins and 7 majors. I put him at number 5 on my list of greatest golfers of all time. Bear, tig, slammer, iceman, and then big arn.

Great man who led a great life. RIP Arnie.

He's not a great man fercrissakes. Just a useless jock. But a great golfer.

You clearly know very little about who he was and what he did-
Arnold Palmer: Charity Work & Causes - Look to the Stars
Arnold Palmer is an American golfer who is generally regarded as one of the greatest players in the history of men’s professional golf.

He founded both the Arnold Palmer Pavilion at the University of Pittsburgh Medical Center and the Arnold Palmer Hospital for Children in Orlando, Florida. The Arnold Palmer Hospital for Children is a world-class medical facility, which was originally known as the “Arnold Palmer Hospital for Children and Women.” In 2006 a new campus was built adjacent to the original building, the Winnie Palmer Hospital for Women and Babies, named after his wife Winnie, creating separate pediatric and obstetrics hospitals.

You'd be lucky as to have as "useless " of a life as his.

images

[
He founded both the Arnold Palmer Pavilion at the University of Pittsburgh Medical Center and the Arnold Palmer Hospital for Children in Orlando, Florida. The Arnold Palmer Hospital for Children is a world-class medical facility, which was originally known as the “Arnold Palmer Hospital for Children and Women.” In 2006 a new campus was built adjacent to the original building, the Winnie Palmer Hospital for Women and Babies, named after his wife Winnie, creating separate pediatric and obstetrics hospitals.

You'd be lucky as to have as "useless " of a life as his.

BS. All charities and non-profits are scams. Were you born yesterday?

Arnold Palmer was in his golf prime when I was a kid watching too much television.

He made golf EXCITING. Before Arnie, watching golf on TV was limited to the few people who actually played and liked the game. But because of this one man, watching golf on Sunday afternoons became something everyone in the household could enjoy. It seemed like, no matter how far behind he was at the beginning of the final round, he would start running off birdies and by the time the leaders were playing the 18th hole, it was between Arnie and one or two other guys.

I'm not sure how you would quantify this quality to illustrate how much of an impact he had on the game (for the spectators). He had a lot of wins and a lot of majors, but there were many, many more tournaments that he made exciting all by himself, simply by mounting one of his classic "charges" to get into contention on the last day.

And unlike a lot of golfers, he showed his emotions with his face, and never tried to hide them. When Nicklaus came along, the contrast between him and Arnie was as wide as the Grand Canyon. Nicklaus took forever to look over his shots and finally hit the (fucking) ball. He would sometimes PACE OFF THE DISTANCE of pitch shots, totally oblivious to what this delay meant to the other players and the people watching on TV. The fact that he was beating Palmer regularly just pissed off the viewing public, and Nicklaus took a lot of heat from the fans, not only for beating Palmer, but for being such a jerk while doing it.

Golfers generally cannot be cocky people. No matter how good you are, the Course will sometimes beat the shit out of you, and other players will sometimes come around and kick you ass unexpectedly. Arnie seemed like a genuinely good guy, a working-class guy, and the only sign of wealth that you ever saw was his private jet, which he had before anyone else.

My preferred soft drink has long been an "Arnold Palmer." Just a coincidence. My favorite golfer is Sergio. Go figure.

Very sad. He was a great one! RIP

Forum List

Back