Army dad not allowed to visit daughter's school in uniform

Rochester Schools superintendent Robert Shaner who is a veteran himself quickly took care of the situation apologizing to the family for their troubles.

Shaner sent a letter to Fox 2 which says, "the district has apologized for any perception that individuals in uniform are not welcome in the school. The district does not have a policy excluding individuals in uniform and will be working with administration and the firm that handles our security to make sure district policies are understood and communicated accurately."
\

So why are Liberals denying it happened?

It did.

Yes, the Superintendent apologized, after the father was initially denied entry because he was in uniform.
Yes it did happen, and was apologized for and fixed right away. Makes one wonder what kind of person goes running to the media to cry about it when it was fixed right away.
I used to like your posts.

Now they are starting to make me sick.

i guess my question would be 'why?'
why is he going to the school in uniform to begin with?
perhaps on his way to his base? Proud of his uniform? Are you really trying to make this something about the parent?
It was a freaking misunderstanding. No one at fault.

Although, I guess someone like you will dig into his background and find that he (the parent) has a history of "playing army man."
all i'm saying is i found it odd that he would choose to wear his uniform. i know many soldiers and none of them choose to wear their uniforms when they don't have to.
on it's own that doesn't bother me though, but then turning the events into the local news station bothers me.

i could assume the worst about the man. i could assume that he was there to see his daughter's counselor, and that he consciously chose to wear his uniform as a way to help him lobby for her, and that after whatever he was after didn't happen he reported the events to the media to further pressure the school.

i could assume that. i don't. i still find it curious though, and out of line with the behavior of most of the soldiers i know.

I believe you do assume that or you wouldn't have even thought it up.

I simply assumed he was on his way to his base where uniform is mandatory. I mean, he was taking his daughter to school which implies early morning...and he is active military which implies he has a military day job...it was a work day seeing as it was a school day...

But go ahead....assume he had ulterior motives.

Whatever....no interest in such childish thinking.
i really don't. i don't think well of the guy for running off to the media, but i doubt he wore his uniform for any reason other than it's what he had on for other reasons. i just don't think it's outside the realm of possibility.

it has been my experience that there are essentially two types of veterans. those that wear it on their sleeve and expect special treatment, using every opportunity to draw attention to their service - and those that don't.

i'm not sure which camp the father fell in to, but for now i'll give him the benefit of the doubt.

as i said originally, was he on his way to work, on lunch, or was he done for the day?
not that it really matters, he shouldn't have been stopped, but it does make me wonder about the guy, especially when you couple it with the family alerting the news about an already resolved situation.

It doesn't matter why he was wearing his uniform. What happened is what matters.

I haven't seen it said anywhere that the family notified the media.. Perhaps you could share where you got that bit of information?
Someone did.....any suggestions who might have?
there is a community of parents that was upset about the incident.

So lets blame the man in uniform.

as i said originally, was he on his way to work, on lunch, or was he done for the day?
not that it really matters, he shouldn't have been stopped, but it does make me wonder about the guy, especially when you couple it with the family alerting the news about an already resolved situation.

It doesn't matter why he was wearing his uniform. What happened is what matters.

I haven't seen it said anywhere that the family notified the media.. Perhaps you could share where you got that bit of information?

and they knew about it... how?

perhaps on his way to his base? Proud of his uniform? Are you really trying to make this something about the parent?

Although, I guess someone like you will dig into his background and find that he (the parent) has a history of "playing army man."
all i'm saying is i found it odd that he would choose to wear his uniform. i know many soldiers and none of them choose to wear their uniforms when they don't have to.
on it's own that doesn't bother me though, but then turning the events into the local news station bothers me.

i could assume the worst about the man. i could assume that he was there to see his daughter's counselor, and that he consciously chose to wear his uniform as a way to help him lobby for her, and that after whatever he was after didn't happen he reported the events to the media to further pressure the school.

i could assume that. i don't. i still find it curious though, and out of line with the behavior of most of the soldiers i know.

I simply assumed he was on his way to his base where uniform is mandatory. I mean, he was taking his daughter to school which implies early morning...and he is active military which implies he has a military day job...it was a work day seeing as it was a school day...

i really don't. i don't think well of the guy for running off to the media, but i doubt he wore his uniform for any reason other than it's what he had on for other reasons. i just don't think it's outside the realm of possibility.

it has been my experience that there are essentially two types of veterans. those that wear it on their sleeve and expect special treatment, using every opportunity to draw attention to their service - and those that don't.

i'm not sure which camp the father fell in to, but for now i'll give him the benefit of the doubt.
you know as fact that he went running to the media?

Rochester Schools superintendent Robert Shaner who is a veteran himself quickly took care of the situation apologizing to the family for their troubles.

Shaner sent a letter to Fox 2 which says, "the district has apologized for any perception that individuals in uniform are not welcome in the school. The district does not have a policy excluding individuals in uniform and will be working with administration and the firm that handles our security to make sure district policies are understood and communicated accurately."
\

It did.

Yes, the Superintendent apologized, after the father was initially denied entry because he was in uniform.
Yes it did happen, and was apologized for and fixed right away. Makes one wonder what kind of person goes running to the media to cry about it when it was fixed right away.

And how has what I said making you ill?

you know as fact that he went running to the media?
again, two parties involved - the family and the school.
do you think the school reported it to the news station?
that leaves us with the family, who had no problem giving their opinions in front of a camera.

there is a community of military there as well as a community of civilians that were bothered by the incident. It could have been anyone from the man himself, his wife, his daughter, or a hundred other people who were bothered by it. I tend to believe it was someone who was NOT aware that the situation was handled properly...someone who left the scene well before the superintendent got involved.

And where did I blame the man in uniform?

Lieutenant Colonel Sherwood Baker

How did such a seemingly narcissitic whine get to be a lieutenant colonel?

\

It did.

Why, it's a valid question.

The school apologized and stated the security guard was wrong.

Why did this guy go to the media?

there is a community of military there as well as a community of civilians that were bothered by the incident. It could have been anyone from the man himself, his wife, his daughter, or a hundred other people who were bothered by it. I tend to believe it was someone who was NOT aware that the situation was handled properly...someone who left the scene well before the superintendent got involved.
which would not explain the family talking about it to the news crew.
and it doesn't explain how anyone else even heard about it.

\

It did.

you automatically assumed the man ran to the media and criticized him for it.

So people are bothered by situations that get solved right away....we get that. But what kind of people go running to the media over solved problems?

\

It did.

Where did I say it was THAT MAN? Point out my post where I pointed the finger at him?

which would not explain the family talking about it to the news crew.
and it doesn't explain how anyone else even heard about it.
the family told the reporter exactly what happened including the apology and subsequent meeting with the superintendent for closure.
Other people were interviewed as well who expressed outrage.
Get off the guys back. You have no idea who called the media......but les blame the guy in uniform....say he "cried to the media"....whatever floats your boat.

1.Security Guard told soldier in uniform that he could not wear his uniform to school
2. Security Guard was wrong
3. School apologized to the soldier

I see why conservatives are outraged

So people are bothered by situations that get solved right away....we get that. But what kind of people go running to the media over solved problems?
do you not read my posts? Do you just scan them?
Lets lay it out...

He tried to get in. He was denied. It was early day...people walking into school....other parents as well as is usual for the first week of school....he was denied a second time...then a third time. He left. The superintendent found out about it and met him in the parking lot of the school to apologize. He accepted the apology.

In the meantime, dozens of people who saw the incident are long gone now...off to work...off to go shopping....not at all aware that it had been settled.....

Enough already. I get it. You guys want to find fault in the guy...."why was he in uniform?" "maybe he thinks he would get special treatment for his daughter" "why did he CRY to the media"....

I get it.

It makes me ill.

Odd situation. I find it hard to believe that the Army officer ran to the media

Seems like the problem was corrected in a timely fashion , I suppose this is just one of the problems of everyone having a video camera in their pocket.

\

It did.

Where did I say it was THAT MAN? Point out my post where I pointed the finger at him?
Really?

You now play the same game that hazelnut plays? "Where did I say".....give me a break.

Whatever......I though better of you......

do you not read my posts? Do you just scan them?
Lets lay it out...

He tried to get in. He was denied. It was early day...people walking into school....other parents as well as is usual for the first week of school....he was denied a second time...then a third time. He left. The superintendent found out about it and met him in the parking lot of the school to apologize. He accepted the apology.

In the meantime, dozens of people who saw the incident are long gone now...off to work...off to go shopping....not at all aware that it had been settled.....

Enough already. I get it. You guys want to find fault in the guy...."why was he in uniform?" "maybe he thinks he would get special treatment for his daughter" "why did he CRY to the media"....

I get it.

It makes me ill.
He was denied three times! OMG, he's a martyr, just like Jesus. No WONDER he ran to the media.

Forum List

Back