Ark judge rules voter id laws unconstitutional

Luddly Neddite

Diamond Member
Sep 14, 2011
Arkansas judge rules voter ID law unconstitutional | Reuters

An Arkansas judge ruled unconstitutional for the second time in about a week a new law requiring voters to show a photo ID, but said on Friday there was not enough time to prevent officials from applying the law at primary elections this month.

Pulaski County Circuit Court Judge Tim Fox said he was staying his order because to do otherwise would create "turmoil" in thousands of precincts. Last week, he said the law was "void and unenforceable."

Nearly three dozen U.S. states have voter identification measures, according to the National Conference of State Legislatures.

Many Republicans have maintained that the laws are aimed at preventing voter fraud, but several Democrats dismiss the claim, saying no such problem exists and the measures are actually a way of trying to prevent low-income people and minorities, who typically vote for the Democrats, from casting ballots.

Maybe its still possible that we could still have a few legal and honest elections.

I need photo ID to;

drive
join the military
buy a firearm
get a drink
buy cigs
rent
buy a plane ticket

but it's anti freedom to dems to need one to vote

Pardon me while I sit an wonder at the level of hypocrassy needed to jungle that

An Arkansas judge ruled unconstitutional for the second time in about a week a new law requiring voters to show a photo ID, but said on Friday there was not enough time to prevent officials from applying the law at primary elections this month.

Pulaski County Circuit Court Judge Tim Fox said he was staying his order because to do otherwise would create "turmoil" in thousands of precincts. Last week, he said the law was "void and unenforceable."

Nearly three dozen U.S. states have voter identification measures, according to the National Conference of State Legislatures.

Many Republicans have maintained that the laws are aimed at preventing voter fraud, but several Democrats dismiss the claim, saying no such problem exists and the measures are actually a way of trying to prevent low-income people and minorities, who typically vote for the Democrats, from casting ballots.
Maybe its still possible that we could still have a few legal and honest elections.

Another, Obama-appointed, federal activist -- I mean judge -- I suppose?

Tim Fox isn't a federal judge, he's a county judge.

It's fun watching our country get divided.

Want free health care? Just show up.
Want to vote early and often? Just show up.
Want to buy a machine gun? Fuck you and your Constitution.

It's so much fun.

Let me put the right to bear arms in some perspective;

libs don't want people to own any kind of arm they can mount or carry b/c they think the government will protect us.

When any boomer sub (mid '80's ballistic sub) gets underway, it is the world 3rd most power nuclear nation.
We have upgraded and have many of these.

seriously, the comparison is comical, and that's the point

LITTLE ROCK, Ark. – Today a state court agreed with the American Civil Liberties Union (ACLU) of Arkansas and the Arkansas Public Law Center (APLC) that the Arkansas Voter ID law violates the Arkansas Constitution. The ACLU and APLC asked for an emergency decision to halt enforcement of the law for fear registered voters lacking the appropriate identification would face "irreparable harm" by losing their ability to vote…

The law, passed in 2013, places additional restrictions on Arkansans by prohibiting them from exercising their fundamental right to vote unless they present state or federal government-issued photo ID. Based on national estimates, 10% of Arkansas voters lack the necessary ID. The law does not provide any assistance in helping voters obtain ID, such as transportation, payment for documents needed to obtain ID such as birth certificates, or aid in locating such documents.

https://www.aclu.org/voting-rights/state-court-rules-arkansas-voter-id-law-unconstitutional
What part of fundamental right do conservatives and republicans not understand.

Tim Fox isn't a federal judge, he's a county judge.

A liberal judge I imagine. Not too sure a county judge can speak for the entire state.

This doesn’t make any sense.

Judges rule in accordance with the Constitution and its case law, they don’t ‘speak for the state.’

And this judge’s ruling is consistent with voting rights jurisprudence:

http://www.nytimes.com/2014/01/18/us/politics/pennsylvania-voter-id-law-struck-down.html

Federal Judge Strikes Down Wisconsin Voter ID Law - ABC News

LITTLE ROCK, Ark. – Today a state court agreed with the American Civil Liberties Union (ACLU) of Arkansas and the Arkansas Public Law Center (APLC) that the Arkansas Voter ID law violates the Arkansas Constitution. The ACLU and APLC asked for an emergency decision to halt enforcement of the law for fear registered voters lacking the appropriate identification would face "irreparable harm" by losing their ability to vote…

The law, passed in 2013, places additional restrictions on Arkansans by prohibiting them from exercising their fundamental right to vote unless they present state or federal government-issued photo ID. Based on national estimates, 10% of Arkansas voters lack the necessary ID. The law does not provide any assistance in helping voters obtain ID, such as transportation, payment for documents needed to obtain ID such as birth certificates, or aid in locating such documents.

https://www.aclu.org/voting-rights/state-court-rules-arkansas-voter-id-law-unconstitutional

What part of hypocritical hypocrisy don't you understand?

We have to show id to purchase an arm, the 2nd is a fundamental right.
then we have to register that arm, our privacy is a fundamental right.

Sucks when reps shit on rights but not when dems do it?

I need photo ID to;

drive
join the military
buy a firearm
get a drink
buy cigs
rent
buy a plane ticket

Pardon me while I sit an wonder at the level of hypocrassy needed to jungle that

I'm not surprised you can't understand why this judge did what he did. This has nothing to do with having a photo ID. Nobody's against picture ID. Hell i think we should have a NATIONAL ID. It's got to do with why it's being required and when.
Do you know why this is?

Last edited:
I need photo ID to;

drive
join the military
buy a firearm
get a drink
buy cigs
rent
buy a plane ticket

I'm not surprised you can't understand why this judge did what he did. This has nothing to do with having a photo ID. Nobody's against picture ID. Hell i think we should have a NATIONAL ID. It's got to do with why it's being required and when.
Do you know why this is?

I do, you don't, if you did, you would't ask that question.

It is not hard to prove who you are, it really isn't, dems made this about race b/c they lack honesty.

You are one of the most dishonest people here, so you know how welcome your actions are on the left.

Exactly, no such ‘problem’ exists; ‘voter ID’ is a ‘solution’ in search of a non-existent problem, as there is no evidence the outcome of any election was changed as a result of ‘ID fraud.’

And no one is discounting the importance of maintaining the integrity of the election process, where anyone suspected of voter fraud should be aggressively prosecuted – but on a case by case basis, predicated on compelling evidence, not by the process conservatives advocate where every voter is presumed guilty of ‘fraud’ and must prove his innocence, in violation of the right to vote.

Then don't infringe on ANY of my rights

I need photo ID to;

drive
join the military
buy a firearm
get a drink
buy cigs
rent
buy a plane ticket

You don’t understand.

Requiring a voter to provide documents, including a state-issued photo ID, when first registering to vote is perfectly appropriate and acceptable, and no one is arguing against that.

But subsequent to that, when the lawfully registered voter goes to vote, to require one to again provide a state-issued ID each and every time he votes, absent any evidence that voter is in fact attempting to commit fraud, manifest an undue burden on his right to vote.

Forum List

Back