Arizona columnist gets it right on the nose

Discussion in 'Immigration/Illegal Immigration' started by RadiomanATL, Apr 24, 2010.

1. RadiomanATL

RadiomanATL Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +3,836
    azcentral.com blogs - Laurie Roberts' Columns & Blog - LaurieRoberts - Arizona immigration law: Are you listening, Mr. President?

IMO there are serious constitutional and civil rights issues with the law. But the passage of the law is having one positive effect: It's making national (DC) politicians acknowledge the elephant in the room.

The one part of the law that they got dead on was the imposition of stiff penalties to companies or individuals who employ illegal aliens.

2. LilOlLady

LilOlLady Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +762
    :clap2::clap2::clap2:

3. Modbert

Modbert Daydream Believer Supporting Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +2,962
    DC politicians acknowledge this issue, the problem with DC politicians however is they won't do anything about it because it's a third rail issue. Any politician who takes a stance against illegal immigration in the form of something not amnesty, they'll lose the Hispanic vote or at the very least alienate them.

4. RadiomanATL

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +3,836

When I said "acknowledge" I was implying that they are pretty much going to have to do something about it now.

I should have been clearer.

5. Modbert

Modbert Daydream Believer Supporting Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +2,962
    I see, duly noted and cleared up. You are definitely correct then, they are going to have to take a stand on the issue. This is actually one issue where the Democrats have room to be more tougher than the Republicans I think. Especially when you have things like this:

Bill targeting illegal immigrants fails to pass - WXOW News 19 La Crosse, WI ? News, Weather and Sports |

This was two days ago.

6. SFC Ollie

SFC Ollie Still Marching

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +4,458
    Yes, but unfortunately they will probably come up with something that is no more than an amnesty hidden behind some other programs and words. Difficult enough to fool most of the people but when the smoke clears it will still be nothing but amnesty; and that will not solve the problem and could even make it worse. It certainly got worse after Reagan's amnesty.

7. RadiomanATL

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +3,836
    I'd fine with whatever party gets tough. Doesn't matter to me. During the Bush years, (national) Republicans were pandering to the Hispanic vote. Since then, (national) Democrats have taken over that crown.

I don't care who decides to actually do something about it. As long as it gets done.

• Thank You! Thank You! x 1
  8. Truthmatters

Truthmatters BANNED

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +2,233
    Cali was laughed at for years for asking for help on this issue

9. RadiomanATL

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +3,836
    IMO any realistic form of immigration reform will have some component of amnesty. No other way around it. Could be that it is a temporary amnesty while the person is being processed, or a permanent form of amnesty for people who can prove that they have been here longer than xxxx years, but some form of amnesty is going to happen.

With no amnesty, the only option is to deport everyone and tell them to try again legally. That ain't gonna happen.

10. SFC Ollie

SFC Ollie Still Marching

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +4,458
    I agree it won't happen. But it should. And we could even start with the thousands who are already taking up space in our prisons.

• Thank You! Thank You! x 1