Arizona Birth Control Bill Penalizes Women For Using Contraception

What is so wrong with wanting to protect the 1st amendment on Religious rights? This is exactly why we have the 1st amendment.
That is what some of the bill is about.
If you take contraception for medical reasons your health care insurance will pay for it.
If you use birth control to prevent pregnancy then you pay for yourself or get it from any clinic that pays for for it. Just about anyone can afford 9 dollars a month for their own birth control.
Title Ten pays for contraception for anyone who is poor.

Peach while I respect your point, I don't see how we need a bill here on the state level that protects the 1st Amendment which already does protect Religious rights. It would seem to me that those who wish to take the "the pill" are in fact exercising a right to do so and it is a fully regulated drug by the FDA. Further, for those who have a moral objection to it, there is no obligation for them to take it, nor is there an obligation for them to purchase it.

Are you being deliberately blind?

The moral objection issue arises when a faith-based employer is forced to supply birth control coverage. This bill exempts such employers from violating their faith. They must supply birth control coverage for actual medical issues like ovarian cysts and whatnot. They do not have to provide it for the prevention of pregnancy.

It is as simple as that. Everything else is just a lot of smoke and misdirection from the anti-religious harpies.

Last edited:
And on the ultrasound, it just says it must be on site, presumably in case of complications. It says nothing of use.

BDBoop was just lying. She took a blurb she read on a hate site, regarding the section of a Virginia bill, long since removed, and claimed it was part of the Arizona legislation - which is really nothing more than a public health bill.

That arizon bill is actually good for people who want abortions....it ensures that there are laws to protect such patients and make sure they have modern, clean, private, and safe facilities.

Because there weren't before?

I'm not sure if there were or weren't before but the bill does not do the following which you claim it did

1) It does NOT mandate a vaginal probing style ultrasound.
2) It does NOT state that conception begins 2 weeks prior to pregnancy.

However it does do the following:

1) Ensure patient safety
2) Ensure patient privacy
3) Ensure patient access to abortions and abortion medications.

Last edited:
You cannot just arbitrarily state that life begins at the date of the woman's last period. You can't. Conception does not occur at that date. Full-stop. Period.

You cannot just arbitrarily state that life begins at the date of the woman's last period. You can't. Conception does not occur at that date. Full-stop. Period.

You are being really stupid right now. You are conflating conception and gestational age. These are terms which have very specific and very separate meanings.

Don't be so ignorant.

This is one of many reasons why we need to move the hell away from employer-provided health insurance. The entitlement mindset really goes berserking nutso with this, as if the government really should be dictating the structure of a fringe benefit.

Last edited:
This is one of many reasons why we need to move the hell away from employer-provided health insurance. The entitlement mindset really goes berserking nutso with this fringe benefit.

I assume I know your answer but I'll ask to be safe.

Are you thinking we should move to private provided (IE I buy my own insurance through a company) or government provided (single payer, government care)?

You are correct. The arizona bill does not do this.

I can only conclude she is thoughtlessly parroting something she heard some other idiot say. It is the only thing that explains her persistance in repeating it over and over in the face of evidence to the contrary.

This is one of many reasons why we need to move the hell away from employer-provided health insurance. The entitlement mindset really goes berserking nutso with this fringe benefit.

Are you thinking we should move to private provided (IE I buy my own insurance through a company) or government provided (single payer, government care)?

You should be buying your health insurance the same way you buy your life, auto, and home insurance.

That way, if you want birth control coverage, you get birth control coverage. If you don't want it, then you don't pay for that option. Everyone gets EXACTLY what they want.

You should be buying your health insurance the same way you buy your life, auto, and home insurance.

That way, if you want birth control coverage, you get birth control coverage. If you don't want it, then you don't pay for that option.

We agree then :).

That way, if you want birth control coverage, you get birth control coverage. If you don't want it, then you don't pay for that option. Everyone gets EXACTLY what they want.

Oh, they've made the price affordable? My bad. Last I checked, I couldn't afford to get insurance all on my lonesome.

Oh, they've made the price affordable? My bad. Last I checked, I couldn't afford to get insurance all on my lonesome.

Then tell your leadership to quit destroying the value of the dollar.

A few minor things such as opening up insurance sales across state lines to increase competition/lower price and to cap malpractice lawsuits at a certain limit lowering costs would both help to make it more affordable. Health insurance costs me, as a single health man in MA, $85/week of which 42.50 my employer is nice enough to pay for. There are a few less expensive plans I can get that are about $45/week and some more expensive ones but that plan is the one I like...the one I have, for now (i have to switch my plan due to Obamacare making it no longer available.....another thread and topic of how obamacare does not do what obama repeadedly promised about keeping plans/doctors)

And if they DID open it up across state lines THEN obama could really try and regulate it under interstate commerce like he thought he could.

Last edited:
What is so wrong with wanting to protect the 1st amendment on Religious rights? This is exactly why we have the 1st amendment.
If you take contraception for medical reasons your health care insurance will pay for it.
If you use birth control to prevent pregnancy then you pay for yourself or get it from any clinic that pays for for it. Just about anyone can afford 9 dollars a month for their own birth control.

Peach while I respect your point, I don't see how we need a bill here on the state level that protects the 1st Amendment which already does protect Religious rights. It would seem to me that those who wish to take the "the pill" are in fact exercising a right to do so and it is a fully regulated drug by the FDA. Further, for those who have a moral objection to it, there is no obligation for them to take it, nor is there an obligation for them to purchase it.

Are you being deliberately blind?

The moral objection issue arises when a faith-based employer is forced to supply birth control coverage. This bill exempts such employers from violating their faith. They must supply birth control coverage for actual medical issues like ovarian cysts and whatnot. They do not have to provide it for the prevention of pregnancy.

It is as simple as that. Everything else is just a lot of smoke and misdirection from the anti-religious harpies.

Ariz. Rev. Stat. Ann. § 20-2329 (2002) requires all health insurance plans providing coverage for prescription medications to also provide coverage for all FDA-approved prescription methods of contraception. Religious employers may request exclusion from this requirement

Theres the law in question, it would seem to me , again if an employer has an objection on moral grounds to this issue, then apply for an exclusion. It's not an anit-religious issue what it is , is our legislature wasting time on an already settled issue.

One of the many reasons health care costs are rising is because of employer provided health insurance. It bends the cost curve up. So rather than entrenching it in law the way ObamaCare does, we should be eliminating it.

When you lose your job, do your auto, life, and home insurance policies all stop? Do you have to get all new auto, life, and home insurance when you switch jobs? Do you have to wait 90 days to six months before those benefits kick in?

No.

So why do we do that with medical insurance? That's just stupid. If you stay with your auto insurance for five years, you start getting discounts. Why can't you do that with medical insurance?

I can buy auto insurance from any company anywhere. Why can't I do that with medical insurance?

Because the government has established little oligarchical zones for large insurance companies to make you a captive consumer.

Employer provided health insurance is a labor union scheme. That's why Obama personally raised the tax exemption for Cadillac plans all the way up to $27,000 in ObamaCare. Congress had set it much, much lower. Obama gave a huge tax cut to the labor unions with the stroke of a pen.

He doesn't give a shit about you or the deficit or health care costs. You are being scammed as you watch your health care costs rise.

The irony is that the rubes think the reasons are because of insurance companies and so we should have the government take over health care.

Which is exactly what the Democrats want you to think. They will keep throwing monkey wrenches into the market system until enough people conclude the market system does not work and clamor for a government solution to their problems.

The end result is that all those pathetic cancer ladies you roll out whenever you want the government to do something about health care end up having to stand in line behind all the moochers who want free stuff and demand someone else pay for it.

It's disgusting behavior to use our most sick and helpless people as human shields to get something for yourself, and then shove them to the back of the line when the time for handouts comes.

Stand on your own two feet, buy your own insurance, and there will be plenty of government teats for those who are truly in need.

Right now, there are more mouths than teats. And a lot of those mouths don't belong there and are sucking us all dry. You are not being done any favors by people demanding a nanny state.

Last edited:

Then tell your leadership to quit destroying the value of the dollar.

Right. Because it's only just happened in the past three years.

Peach while I respect your point, I don't see how we need a bill here on the state level that protects the 1st Amendment which already does protect Religious rights. It would seem to me that those who wish to take the "the pill" are in fact exercising a right to do so and it is a fully regulated drug by the FDA. Further, for those who have a moral objection to it, there is no obligation for them to take it, nor is there an obligation for them to purchase it. However, one can argue that as part of an overall insurance plan it for those with moral objections it somehow raises their costs. If that were the case, then it would seem to me an easy enough task to make "contraceptives" in general an optional item in one's insurance plan, so that those with moral objections do not need to take part and likewise the other is true is well. I personally don't see this as a matter our legislature should be spending its time on when we have other more pressing matters here in our state that need to be looked after.

The Feds under the new health care bill said first, that all insurance must put contraception, including sterilization, abortifacients to be included in virtually all health plans. Then they moved it to employers' of which religious groups are the employers. This did nothing and still forced religious health insurance to accept the morning after pill and things of this type. This is a violation of the 1st amendment.

Forum List

Back