Fired for Being on the Pill

DontBeStupid

Look it up!
Jun 23, 2011
Los Angeles, CA
A proposed new law in Arizona would give employers the power to request that women being prescribed birth control pills provide proof that they're using it for non-sexual reasons. And because Arizona's an at-will employment state, that means that bosses critical of their female employees' sex lives could fire them as a result.
Yesterday, a Senate Judiciary Committee endorsed Republican Debbie Lesko's HB2625 by a vote of 6-2, which would allow an employer to request proof that a woman using insurance to buy birth control was being prescribed the birth control for reasons other than not wanting to get pregnant. It's all about freedom, she said
Law Will Allow Employers to Fire Women for Using Whore Pills

The freedom comment was really the icing on the cake.

And ... cue the "conservatives" saying there is not a war on women.

A proposed new law in Arizona would give employers the power to request that women being prescribed birth control pills provide proof that they're using it for non-sexual reasons. And because Arizona's an at-will employment state, that means that bosses critical of their female employees' sex lives could fire them as a result.
Yesterday, a Senate Judiciary Committee endorsed Republican Debbie Lesko's HB2625 by a vote of 6-2, which would allow an employer to request proof that a woman using insurance to buy birth control was being prescribed the birth control for reasons other than not wanting to get pregnant. It's all about freedom, she said

who go fired?

Most of you won't remember this, but Seiko watches used to put out a few TV commercials at one time. One of them featured a comely lass who attributed to Seiko's reliability by flexing her forearm to prominently display her Seiko: "My husband's no longer here, but my Seiko's still ticking." Just so happened she also happened to work for a Jesuit University down South. Until someone higher up saw the commercial and recognized her. Gone!

who go fired?

Hi, you have received -969 reputation points from WillowTree.
Reputation was given for this post.

Comment:
Who got fired?

Regards,
WillowTree
I never said anyone did get fired.

Wow I read your presentation and was like "WTF is wrong with Arizona"

Then I reasearch the bill and was like "WTF is wrong with Don'tBeStupid"

You do realize this bill is designed only for religious organizations that are hiring and not ALL employers in AZ, don't you? Try reading the actual proposal ;) http://www.azleg.gov//FormatDocument.asp?inDoc=/legtext/50leg/2r/bills/hb2625h.htm&Session_ID=107

Last edited:
First of all, the bill doesn't state that a woman can be fired for being on the pill. It simply gives employers the right to require a woman to sign a statement that the pill is not being used for sexual purposes.

The article then points out that Arizona is a right to work state which means that if the woman claims it is for sexual purposes she could be fired for it and there would be nothing she or anyone else can do about it.

That being said, this is one mother f'ing stupid bill. The state has no business interfereing in this.

Immie

PS Please excuse the French.

You do realize this bill is designed only for religious organizations that are hiring and not ALL employers in AZ, don't you? Try reading the actual proposal ;) http://www.azleg.gov/legtext/50leg/1r/bills/hb2565s.pdf

I have to ask, what does that matter.

Does her being on the pill have anything at all to do with her ability to perform her job?

I'm sorry, but in this case, the employer has no business knowing this information and the idea that a church would fire someone for being on the pill is absolutely infuriating to me and I am a Christian. That is not how Christ would nor the church should handle such an issue. IMNSHO

Immie

Does IAmStupid ever actually read the original bills or does he just follow the herd that get their opinions from the media?

You do realize this bill is designed only for religious organizations that are hiring and not ALL employers in AZ, don't you? Try reading the actual proposal ;) http://www.azleg.gov//FormatDocument.asp?inDoc=/legtext/50leg/2r/bills/hb2625h.htm&Session_ID=107

Does her being on the pill have anything at all to do with her ability to perform her job?

I'm sorry, but in this case, the employer has no business knowing this information and the idea that a church would fire someone for being on the pill is absolutely infuriating to me and I am a Christian. That is not how Christ would nor the church should handle such an issue. IMNSHO

Immie

To me personally it doesn't matter one bit if someone is on the pill or not. To someone who thinks birth control is a sin it might matter a lot in their decision to hire and pay them money out of their own pockets to work.

I don't care if an employer wants to fire someone because they don't like their personal life choices, its the employers right in states like AZ to do so.

I take it you want the govt in charge of such decisions instead of individuals....what is next letting the govt tell me what health insurance I can buy or telling me that as a muslim I must hire people who eat and handle pork?

Last edited:

who go fired?

Hi, you have received -969 reputation points from WillowTree.
Reputation was given for this post.

Comment:
Who got fired?

Regards,
WillowTree
I never said anyone did get fired.

posting a neg rep?

whiner.

You do realize this bill is designed only for religious organizations that are hiring and not ALL employers in AZ, don't you? Try reading the actual proposal ;) http://www.azleg.gov/legtext/50leg/1r/bills/hb2565s.pdf

Immie

To me personally it doesn't matter one bit if someone is on the pill or not. To someone who thinks birth control is a sin it might matter a lot in their decision to hire and pay them money out of their own pockets to work.

I don't care if an employer wants to fire someone because they don't like their personal life choices, its the employers right in states like AZ to do so.

I take it you want the govt in charge of such decisions instead of individuals....what is next letting the govt tell me what health insurance I can buy or telling me that as a muslim I must hire people who eat and handle pork?

Where do you get the idea that I want the government in charge of such decisions? I said exactly the opposite of that.

On the other hand, it infuriates me to think that a church would consider firing an individual because that individual is a sinner i.e. on the pill, sexually active and therefore a sinner. I would remind the leadership of such a church that their preacher is a sinner himself and is in direct need of God's Grace just as the woman who happens to be on the pill is too.

This bill requires a woman if asked to sign such a declaration or lose her job for not doing so, the bill should be shot down in committee. It happens to be an insult to the followers of Christ.

Immie

Last edited:

Forum List

Back