Aren't Private Companies In The Business Of Making Profit?

It has to be obvious that profit and corporations do not always care about people. They care about their pockets and their stock holders. Anyone who has worked in corporate America knows that as profit fall evaluations point out the next head on the block. Been there done that. Or if it is more profitable in India or ??? People who are sick are only profitable if they have excellent insurance or Medicare, I see this first hand with parents at 90. They get better care and more tests than a young person who has mediocre insurance or none at all. While I am not religious I am hoping judgment is correct, I want a seat and a view of justice. LOL I know that's a crazy idea but what the heck ideas are mostly crazy, have a healthy day. Christianity would be so neat a thing if anyone ever tried it.

"Speak up for those who cannot speak for themselves, for the rights of all who are destitute. Speak up and judge fairly; defend the rights of the poor and needy." Proverbs 31:8-9

Ooh! I know this one!

How about: Dropping people from their policy when they get seriously ill and then forcing that person to sue them for coverage and then dragging out the trial and settlement for years and years until the person either gives up or dies. VERY innovative. Douchebag parasites... We must have a public option... government or not, we must.

So it will magically become better when we replace the corporate burecrat with some government burecrat? At least with a company you can take your business elsewhere. Try that with a single government entitiy.

Do you understand how a public option works?

Yes, and I also understand it is merely a stepping stone to a single payer system. Please dont insult other's intellect by stating otherwise. But, in the interest of clarity, for the public option, i will change my statement to "replace the corporate burecrat with a government sanctioned corporate burecrat (and the civil servant burecrat assigned to oversee him/her)

Better?

So tell me...how does a private company make a profit out of taking care of old ladies with cancer?

I believe the same argument the Republicans were making previously about "death panels" is exactly what they are inviting into with Ryancare.

There seems to be a contradiction between providing the care these vulnerable people need and making the profit that comes from not paying for the care these vulnerable people need.

Correct me if I'm wrong.

By creating, discovering, and selling her treatment for her cancer. By building the technology and the machines needed to treat her.

It's not really difficult to make a profit treating someone. Just need to provide them with goods or services at a cost higher than is necessarily to produce them.

So tell me...how does a private company make a profit out of taking care of old ladies with cancer?

I believe the same argument the Republicans were making previously about "death panels" is exactly what they are inviting into with Ryancare.

There seems to be a contradiction between providing the care these vulnerable people need and making the profit that comes from not paying for the care these vulnerable people need.

Correct me if I'm wrong.

As for little old ladies with cancer who have insurance, that's what contracts are for. When you buy insurance, you have a contract with them they have to honor. The company calculates the odds and spreads the risk. As for little old ladies without insurance, that's what private charity is for.

Tell us about some of the innovations that your health insurance company has come up with.

Ooh! I know this one!

How about: Dropping people from their policy when they get seriously ill and then forcing that person to sue them for coverage and then dragging out the trial and settlement for years and years until the person either gives up or dies. VERY innovative. Douchebag parasites... We must have a public option... government or not, we must.

So it will magically become better when we replace the corporate burecrat with some government burecrat? At least with a company you can take your business elsewhere. Try that with a single government entitiy.

LMAO. Yeah right try getting new ins when in the middle of a medical crisis or treatment.

Talk about being ignorant about the reality of health insurance.

Yes, and I also understand it is merely a stepping stone to a single payer system. Please dont insult other's intellect by stating otherwise. But, in the interest of clarity, for the public option, i will change my statement to "replace the corporate burecrat with a government sanctioned corporate burecrat (and the civil servant burecrat assigned to oversee him/her)

Better?

I just want to be sure that you understand that with a public option you are still free to choose whatever insurance plan you want. You have the option of private or government plans. Many on this site can't comprehend the difference even between the PPACA that has passed and a "goverment takeover", nevermind how a public option is different and still not a single payer system.

Last edited:

You obviously don't understand the concept of "option". And most people do NOT have a choice of insurance. They either buy what is offered from their workplace (if offered) or they go without. The average person cannot afford stand-alone private health insurance, especially on declining salaries and the cost of living rising the way it is. I know I couldn't afford it on my own.

Correct me if I'm wrong.

As for little old ladies with cancer who have insurance, that's what contracts are for. When you buy insurance, you have a contract with them they have to honor. The company calculates the odds and spreads the risk. As for little old ladies without insurance, that's what private charity is for.

There isn't enough private charities out there to cover all those "little old ladies" who don't have insurance or wouldn't without medicare.

Yes, and I also understand it is merely a stepping stone to a single payer system. Please dont insult other's intellect by stating otherwise.

Absolutely FALSE. Whatabout a non-profit public insurance co-op? I think that could work EXTREMELY well for this nation.

Last edited:
It has to be obvious that profit and corporations do not always care about people. They care about their pockets and their stock holders. Anyone who has worked in corporate America knows that as profit fall evaluations point out the next head on the block. Been there done that. Or if it is more profitable in India or ??? People who are sick are only profitable if they have excellent insurance or Medicare, I see this first hand with parents at 90. They get better care and more tests than a young person who has mediocre insurance or none at all. While I am not religious I am hoping judgment is correct, I want a seat and a view of justice. LOL I know that's a crazy idea but what the heck ideas are mostly crazy, have a healthy day. Christianity would be so neat a thing if anyone ever tried it.

"Speak up for those who cannot speak for themselves, for the rights of all who are destitute. Speak up and judge fairly; defend the rights of the poor and needy." Proverbs 31:8-9

They care about providing the product they are paid to provide, and to reap some benefit (profit) from it. If they do a shitty job, they dont make any money. There will always be cases of abuse with this system, but replacing it all with a single government agency? Does anyone really think that will improve things?

As an aside, would you yourself be willing to work at cost (basic food, basic housing, basic transportation) to do what you do for a living?

Billions are made by private corporations taking care of old ladies with cancer.

So? Would it be better for these corporations not to exist and for the little old ladies to receive no care whatsoever?

Better?

I just want to be sure that you understand that with a public option you are still free to choose whatever insurance plan you want. You have the option of private or government plans. Many on this site can't comprehend the difference even what the PPACA that has passed and a "goverment takeover", nevermind how a public option is different and still not a single payer system.

We comprehend the difference just fine. Ignoring the topic of government control and wealth redistribution and just addressing your point on there still being private insurance, there are three obvious issues:

1) The public option doesn't need to make money, private carriers do. The government can just tax more to pay for it. How can private carriers compete with that? They will go out of business because they have to make a profit, they can't just confiscate someone's money as government can.

2) The government while competing with private carriers is the one who makes the rules. You'd go ape shit if that were the case in something you opposed, government making the rules then competing with something you supported with the ability to just regulate their own competitors out of business.

3) The path of government control never ends by the left. No one could argue with credibility that even if private insurers survive eventually the government will not at some point just shut them down anyway. The government doesn't know how to compete, it only controls.

Ooh! I know this one!

LMAO. Yeah right try getting new ins when in the middle of a medical crisis or treatment.

Talk about being ignorant about the reality of health insurance.

Ha, ignorant? The whole concept of insurance is to get it BEFORE you have the problem, in order to share risk. You pool your assets together, and use them to pay for people who have the thing insured against happen to them. Therefore you pay less than if everyone paid for the serivce at the time it is needed.

What you want is less insurance, and more other (i.e. rich people) paying for a service you want. At least be honest about it.

A company's ability to make profit enables it to make the innovations to provide more care to more people, bub.

Tell us about some of the innovations that your health insurance company has come up with.

An insurance company providing a way for me to insure against catastrophic risk is worth a premium, imo.

If you are concerned about profits for routine care etc., then aim your outrage at the politicians who enabled this inefficient structure in the first place.

As for other corporations, pharma, medical device, and medical equipment corporations - as well a medical practices, clinics, and hospitals all deserve the profits they earn in a free market system.

So you are now advocating for the U.S. to become a Christian Theocracy?

What's that about?

You obviously don't understand the concept of "option". And most people do NOT have a choice of insurance. They either buy what is offered from their workplace (if offered) or they go without. The average person cannot afford stand-alone private health insurance, especially on declining salaries and the cost of living rising the way it is. I know I couldn't afford it on my own.

Will say it again.....cause you refuse to admit it...

Based on the numbers you have thrown out there....you most certainly CAN afford it....you just simply opt to spend your money elsewhere

Insurance for single coverage can be bought for 3500 a year.....that is tax deductable.....so it is equivalent to the spending power of about 2500 a year...or 200 a month...about 50 a week....about 7 bucks a day.

Now...seeing as health insurance is no longer insurance....and it is not....it USED to be insurance....now it is used to pay for any medical cost....even your semi annual visit....the average 600 bucks a year that you should be paying on your own to your doctor for regular check ups should be deducted from that number (we will say 400 as that, too, was tax deductable)...the extra cost in spendable dollars to you is 2100 per year....or about 40 a week....or a little over 5 bucks a day.....

Yep....5 bucks a day so you can be assured to have any catastrophic medical situation not destroy you financially...

Bet you spend more than that for coffee each day....yet you complain about it being too expensive for your health?

LOL....talking points.....just analyze it and you will see how silly you sound.

Ooh! I know this one!

My insurance company dropped me and I have Stage 4 lung cancer. May I buy a policy please?

Hey! I tried to take my business elsewhere!

The gap between academics, ideology and real life is staggeringly wide and unfathomably deep.

Forum List

Back