Are You Self Actualized?

Are You Self Actualized? Do/are you.....

• embrace the unknown and ambiguous?

Votes: 5 71.4%
  • accept yourself, including your flaws?

Votes: 5 71.4%
  • unconventional, BUT, don't seek to shock or disturb?

Votes: 3 42.9%
  • motivated by growth, NOT needs?

Votes: 2 28.6%
  • NOT trouble by small things?

Votes: 3 42.9%
  • grateful

Votes: 4 57.1%
  • humble

Votes: 2 28.6%

• Total voters
But why do we worry? Even the homeless have basic needs met in the US

No. Still lots of hungry people without shelter or basic healthcare. An emergency room will sew you up if you're bleeding, but they won't do anything for a diabetic.
Oh I bet there are systems in place for that. I didn't think of the healthcare aspect, but every city has food banks and shelters

Yes, and most are underfunded, and not able to meet the needs of the area they serve. Call your local food bank and ask them if they have everything they need. I'll bet they don't say yes. Lots of people go without the basic needs of life.
They really don't need to, I worked at a food bank at church, some were very picky.
Some food banks are picky too. Some won't take perishables. I grow a lot more vegetables than I'm going to need just in case I have crop failure. The food banks here will not take the extra but there's a church right down the street that will come and get them.

I'm not ambitious and I'm ok with that. Would not say I am or am not self actualized, but I do know I love few, like most, and I enjoy my life, even my darkest hours I was grateful.
I've always been grateful too. We don't choose our parents or DNA. I could have been born into bad stock but instead I was fortunate to be born extraordinarily gifted, both intellectually and physically. Born into a family of champions. And I recognize that it is just good luck that has made my life so much easier than other people's lives. And it is simply good luck to be born in a land of such plentiful opportunity. I was truly blessed the moment I was conceived.

Self actualization. WTF does that even mean? New fangled bullshit for insecure people who need to find an excuse for their failings?
It means practically the opposite of what you said.
New fangled bullshit for secure people who need to find a reason for their success?

Um. Ok. I guess.

Meanwhile...until someone is homeless and actually lives it, they shouldn't ASSume anything about it and post ignorant stuff they have no clue about.

A person's views on whether they are self-actualised is limited by their own frame of reference.

So if you are 20 and high most of the time, you would probably say you are and you won't be a slave of the capitalist world. But older folks (I'm 47) will laugh in your face and tell you to get a job.

My point is, you can't tell because your mind is limited in its awareness.

You'll never be self actualised until the moment of your death when you realise it is all over (or not).
you can't tell because your mind is limited in its awareness.

Given the general criteria for self-actualization...
  • Accept themselves and others.
  • Maintain deep and meaningful relationships.
  • Can exist autonomously.
  • Have a sense of humor, particularly an ability to find humor in their own mistakes.
  • Accurately perceive reality, both as it pertains to the self and others.
  • Have a sense of purpose and perform regular tasks geared toward that purpose.
  • Experience frequent moments of profound happiness (what Maslow called “peak experiences”).
  • Demonstrate empathy and compassion for others.
  • Have an ongoing appreciation of the goodness of life.
...I think each of us can discern for ourselves whether we are self-actualized. Whether one is going to tell others is a different matter. I think it safe to say that many others are more than willing to tell one whether they think one is self-actualized. LOL Based on what I wrote in post 51, that I might be able to form an opinion on whether certain other individuals could be self-actualized, for very few individuals am I informed enough about them to have a credible stance on whether they are self-actualized.
I don't think we can. For example a married woman in an abusive relationship may consider that a meaningful and deep one. For her meaningful and deep is a slap in the face when she is being a bad girl. To establish if someone meets those critera we'll need a panel of experts and an observation period for at least 6 months .:bye1:

Self actualization?

I admit. I had to look it up to be sure what it is.

In as much as self actualization is "is a state (of being) in which people are at their very best."

I have to say I have never been "self actualized" and I highly doubt that anyone else ever is, either.

A person's views on whether they are self-actualised is limited by their own frame of reference.

So if you are 20 and high most of the time, you would probably say you are and you won't be a slave of the capitalist world. But older folks (I'm 47) will laugh in your face and tell you to get a job.

My point is, you can't tell because your mind is limited in its awareness.

You'll never be self actualised until the moment of your death when you realise it is all over (or not).
you can't tell because your mind is limited in its awareness.

Given the general criteria for self-actualization...
  • Accept themselves and others.
  • Maintain deep and meaningful relationships.
  • Can exist autonomously.
  • Have a sense of humor, particularly an ability to find humor in their own mistakes.
  • Accurately perceive reality, both as it pertains to the self and others.
  • Have a sense of purpose and perform regular tasks geared toward that purpose.
  • Experience frequent moments of profound happiness (what Maslow called “peak experiences”).
  • Demonstrate empathy and compassion for others.
  • Have an ongoing appreciation of the goodness of life.
...I think each of us can discern for ourselves whether we are self-actualized. Whether one is going to tell others is a different matter. I think it safe to say that many others are more than willing to tell one whether they think one is self-actualized. LOL Based on what I wrote in post 51, that I might be able to form an opinion on whether certain other individuals could be self-actualized, for very few individuals am I informed enough about them to have a credible stance on whether they are self-actualized.
I don't think we can. For example a married woman in an abusive relationship may consider that a meaningful and deep one. For her meaningful and deep is a slap in the face when she is being a bad girl. To establish if someone meets those critera we'll need a panel of experts and an observation period for at least 6 months .:bye1:

Such an individual, in all likelihood, hasn't genuinely fulfilled either (perhaps both) of their belongingness or esteem needs. Accordingly, it's both moot to discuss their potentially having self-actualized for it's obvious to them and everyone else that they aren't in a position were doing so is even an option. (See discussion and linked content here: Are You Self Actualized?)

Self actualization?

In as much as self actualization is "is a state (of being) in which people are at their very best."

I have to say I have never been "self actualized" and I highly doubt that anyone else ever is, either.

which would mean, knowing your strengths and weakness, and using your strengths in a creative and productive way. also, it would be in a state where you are not relying on others to create your meaningfulness in life. They can add to your enjoyment and happiness, but your purpose and meaning must come from within

But why do we worry? Even the homeless have basic needs met in the US

No. Still lots of hungry people without shelter or basic healthcare. An emergency room will sew you up if you're bleeding, but they won't do anything for a diabetic.
Oh I bet there are systems in place for that. I didn't think of the healthcare aspect, but every city has food banks and shelters

Yes, and most are underfunded, and not able to meet the needs of the area they serve. Call your local food bank and ask them if they have everything they need. I'll bet they don't say yes. Lots of people go without the basic needs of life.
They really don't need to, I worked at a food bank at church, some were very picky.
Some food banks are picky too. Some won't take perishables. I grow a lot more vegetables than I'm going to need just in case I have crop failure. The food banks here will not take the extra but there's a church right down the street that will come and get them.

There were certain things we always had plenty of. Canned beans (extremely good for you, but, not desirable apparently). The frozen meats etc. would not be taken either. I'm not sure if this was because many needy didn't have a place to cook them or if it was too much work?

According to Maslow, this is the final stage in the hierarchy of needs. Are you there yet?

If they get rid of the ACA many will be at the bottom 2 rungs. All come and go. I feel much less safe now that T is president, with Masters at his side , as Masters is a warrior, that is all he has known is war. He lives for it. With what T said about Iran and NK at the UN, I feel very unsafe.

Well, if you can get creative with those feelings you would be self actualized....

Its pretty much out of my hands, which I realize, so I am not going to worry about it, but its coming.

There Is not such thing as security.

No, nothing is 100% secure. Not your job. Not your health. Nothing.
I guess maybe his intent was a feeling of security. If you have a lot, maybe you feel secure and content.

I feel secure. But mostly because I know if I lost everything, it would still be okay.
And death is an inevitability, so, whether it happens now or 40 years from now, I have lived a good 50 plus years. I can understand why younger people may worry more though

Self actualization?

which would mean, knowing your strengths and weakness, and using your strengths in a creative and productive way. also, it would be in a state where you are not relying on others to create your meaningfulness in life. They can add to your enjoyment and happiness, but your purpose and meaning must come from within

Half empty half full.

Even on my best days, I chose only to see myself as a work in progress.

Forum List

Back