Are you religious?

YWN666

Freelance Beer Tester
Nov 11, 2008
I was walking across a bridge one day, and I saw a man standing on the edge, about to jump off. I immediately ran over and said "Stop! Don't do it!"
"Why shouldn't I?" he said.
I said, "Well, there's so much to live for!"
"Like what?"
"Well ... are you religious or atheist?"
"Religious."
"Me too! Are you Christian or Jewish?"
"Christian."
"Me too! Are you Catholic or Protestant?"
"Protestant."
"Me too! Are you Episcopalian or Baptist?"
"Baptist."
"Wow! Me too! Are you Baptist Church of God or Baptist Church of the Lord?"
"Baptist Church of God."
"Me too! Are you Original Baptist Church of God, or are you Reformed Baptist Church of God?"
"Reformed Baptist Church of God."
"Me too! Are you Reformed Baptist Church of God, reformation of 1879, or Reformed Baptist Church of God, reformation of 1915?"
"Reformed Baptist Church of God, reformation of 1915!"

To which I said, "Die, heretic scum!" and pushed him off.

Um... yeah.

I get the joke and it's not a bad point that the infighting between various factions (of any religion) is silly, pointless and counterproductive but... I just don't see the need for putting the joke out there. Maybe in the humor section but not in the Religion and Philosophy section.

I guess what I don't understand is that these kinds of jokes generally come from the Left and yet they are the ones that are tell us to be tolerant. If there was a joke like this and instead of religious people it was homosexuals the joke teller would probably be admonished for being insensitive. So I guess what I don't get is why tolerance for others is only extended to some people. What makes some groups worthy of being tolerated even though some people find them/their behavior offensive and others not?

I'd really like to see this subject seriously addressed. Not knee-jerk talking points, but honest opinions and the reasons behind them.

Wow, maybe you need to pay attention to what Amanda has to say and lighten up on your own reaction.

Back to the OP title, are you religious? No, I'm not.

Last edited by a moderator:
Wow, Amanda, you need to lighten up.

It was a stupid joke. Not funny.

A priest, a rabbi and a minister were walking down the street one day and found a bag of money. The minister said, "I know, let's draw a circle on the ground, throw the money in the air, and whatever lands in the circle, God wants us to keep."

To which the priest replied, "No, we'll draw the circle, throw up the money and whatever lands outside of the circle, God wants us to keep."

The Rabbi spoke up and said, "I've got an idea, let's just throw the money in the air and whatever God wants, he'll keep."

Now that's a joke.:lol:

Wow, Amanda, you need to lighten up.

I'm not offended, I'm just trying to make this into a useful discussion. I'm used to being made fun of for my faith, it doesn't get me down.

Wow, maybe you need to pay attention to what Amanda has to say and lighten up on your own reaction.

Thanks. I appreciate that you're being open to hearing me. :)

Um... yeah.

I get the joke and it's not a bad point that the infighting between various factions (of any religion) is silly, pointless and counterproductive but... I just don't see the need for putting the joke out there. Maybe in the humor section but not in the Religion and Philosophy section.

I guess what I don't understand is that these kinds of jokes generally come from the Left and yet they are the ones that are tell us to be tolerant. If there was a joke like this and instead of religious people it was homosexuals the joke teller would probably be admonished for being insensitive. So I guess what I don't get is why tolerance for others is only extended to some people. What makes some groups worthy of being tolerated even though some people find them/their behavior offensive and others not?

I'd really like to see this subject seriously addressed. Not knee-jerk talking points, but honest opinions and the reasons behind them.

I think this joke is telling us to be tolerant. It's an ironic joke. I laughed.
The only reason I can think of for there being so many variations of religious groups is the same for which many people tend to need nations and tribes to identify with. A religion that is slightly different from your own, as all religions are only superficially different, gives you and your coreligionists some sort of identity and a reason to bond when you go and claim that that other religion or sect threatens your own. Ever notice that the most similar religions seem to have the most antagonistic relationships with each other? In the past and even in the present different sects of the same religion fight and kill each other over matters of interpretation of vague texts.

The only reason I can think of for there being so many variations of religious groups is the same for which many people tend to need nations and tribes to identify with. A religion that is slightly different from your own, as all religions are only superficially different, gives you and your coreligionists some sort of identity and a reason to bond when you go and claim that that other religion or sect threatens your own. Ever notice that the most similar religions seem to have the most antagonistic relationships with each other? In the past and even in the present different sects of the same religion fight and kill each other over matters of interpretation of vague texts.

Maybe it is supposed to be ironic. So let's get that out of the way. Yes, allof the infighting between various sects is wacky. There all done.

I don't think the joke being ironic invalidates my point. If I were to make a similar kind of ironic observation about a "protected" group I would be seen as intolerant for "daring" to make that sort of commentary. I would like to discuss why it's ok for some groups and not others.

I did pay attention to what she had to say. That's why I told her to lighten up.

A priest, a rabbi and a minister were walking down the street one day and found a bag of money. The minister said, "I know, let's draw a circle on the ground, throw the money in the air, and whatever lands in the circle, God wants us to keep."

To which the priest replied, "No, we'll draw the circle, throw up the money and whatever lands outside of the circle, God wants us to keep."

The Rabbi spoke up and said, "I've got an idea, let's just throw the money in the air and whatever God wants, he'll keep."

Now that's a joke.:lol:

It was a stupid joke. Not funny.

You hit the nail on the head.

The is a huge element of truth to the joke and I bring it up whenever anyone discusses allowing the majority religion to be endorsed by government. Not only does it violate the rights of the minorities, we'd also have the majority religions at each other's throats fighting over which variation gets top billing.

Maybe it is supposed to be ironic. So let's get that out of the way. Yes, allof the infighting between various sects is wacky. There all done.

I don't think the joke being ironic invalidates my point. If I were to make a similar kind of ironic observation about a "protected" group I would be seen as intolerant for "daring" to make that sort of commentary. I would like to discuss why it's ok for some groups and not others.

How do you define a "protected group"? I've seen jokes involving people of all religions and atheists, too.

How do you define a "protected group"? I've seen jokes involving people of all religions and atheists, too.

A protected group is anyone that the PC elite deem protected. I've seen all kinds of jokes, many politically incorrect, I'm not saying they don't exist, I'm saying they it's looked down on to tell them in certain company.

So now that we have that out of the way, do you want to respond to my question?

A protected group is anyone that the PC elite deem protected. I've seen all kinds of jokes, many politically incorrect, I'm not saying they don't exist, I'm saying they it's looked down on to tell them in certain company.

So now that we have that out of the way, do you want to respond to my question?

I'm afraid you'll also have to define "PC elite". I thought I already answered your question by saying there are jokes about every religious group. No one is being singled out.

Oh for crimminy's sakes.

Is this still another thread about how we poor Christians are being oppressed?

If we Christians cannot laugh at our own foibles we're in serious trouble.

It was SO over the top

Is it really possible that some of you are so thin-skinned you can't see the humor of it?

Forum List

Back