Votes: 12 21.8%
  • I used to be

Votes: 25 45.5%
  • I never have

Votes: 16 29.1%
  • Other

Votes: 2 3.6%

• Total voters
I quit some years ago. I was just an intermittent smoker. Weekends that sort of thing but plenty of weekends LOL. Never think about anymore until... one bourbon one scotch and one beer !

I have never smoked a day in my life....I'm proud of me for that, besides, I couldn't afford to support the habit.

I have quit smoking quite a few times for various reasons. Sometimes as much as ten years at a time. I never liked being a non-smoker and never saw a single benefit from it. That's why I always went back to it. I do not smoke now except for electronic cigarettes which leave me less resentful. For anyone who wants to stop smoking cigarettes, I highly recommend e-cigs.

I have quit smoking quite a few times for various reasons. Sometimes as much as ten years at a time. I never liked being a non-smoker and never saw a single benefit from it. That's why I always went back to it. I do not smoke now except for electronic cigarettes which leave me less resentful. For anyone who wants to stop smoking cigarettes, I highly recommend e-cigs.
A significant component of the addiction to cigarettes is the manual activity, i.e., the hand and mouth activity, the familiar ritual associated with removing a cigarette from the pack, placing it between the lips, lighting it and drawing smoke from it. The electronic cigarette, which looks just like a cigarette and produces water vapor when drawn on, satisfies the manual activity aspect of the craving. I don't recommend using these devices as an aid to quitting cigarettes because they tend to retain that imbedded aspect of the craving.

In your case it doesn't matter because you are not interested in fully withdrawing from the habit. But I'm curious about what you mean by saying the electronic cigarette leaves you "less resentful." Resentful of what?

Last edited:
I remember it used to take two cigarettes for putting on makeup, - I still can't even believe I took that long to put on make-up. What was I doing, shellac? Never mind being a smoker. And menthol, to boot. I'm surprised my lungs ever forgave me.

Well, you stop smoking cigarettes, but you are still sucking nicotine into your system. You are STILL addicted!

I used the e-cigs for awhile....i actually used them for the 2 weeks i spent at my son's in Germany a couple yrs ago. I didn't smoke 1 cig. I thought if i could get through those 2 wks using it that i could continue to when i got home and FINALLY quit.

Nope

I've smoked since i was about 16 and i'll be 59 this saturday. I've tried just about everything to quit (except hypnotism). I'm the first to admit that when it comes to my cigs i'm the weakest person in the world. And it didn't help that they say cigs are harder to get away from than coke or heroin....so i've never tried any of that stuff because i know i'm an addictive person and "trying" it probably wouldn't have been enough. I get so mad at myself for not being able to quit....

I used the e-cigs for awhile....i actually used them for the 2 weeks i spent at my son's in Germany a couple yrs ago. I didn't smoke 1 cig. I thought if i could get through those 2 wks using it that i could continue to when i got home and FINALLY quit.

Nope

I've smoked since i was about 16 and i'll be 59 this saturday. I've tried just about everything to quit (except hypnotism). I'm the first to admit that when it comes to my cigs i'm the weakest person in the world. And it didn't help that they say cigs are harder to get away from than coke or heroin....so i've never tried any of that stuff because i know i'm an addictive person and "trying" it probably wouldn't have been enough. I get so mad at myself for not being able to quit....

You are NOT weak! /slap, slappity-slap-slap

Okay, I feel better. How bout you?

/hugs

Nope

What about acupuncture? You said everything, but I'm just wondering.

I don't know how my sister finally quit. She started at 13. Wanna hear a funny?

Okay, my mom was in a coma for seven weeks. - right. That's not the funny bit.

So a couple of years later she says to my sister "If I can quit, anybody can."

Sister sort of exploded. "MOM. You were in a COMA. I would LOVE to be in a coma for seven weeks so I could quit smoking TOO."

If I still had a retail operation I'd be a pack plus man but it takes real effort to get to my cigs.....especially in a torrential downpour. Like right now.

Nope

Sister sort of exploded. "MOM. You were in a COMA. I would LOVE to be in a coma for seven weeks so I could quit smoking TOO."

Yup...like i said, i think the only thing i haven't tried is hypnosis, and i don't like that idea at all. I still have some of those little inhalers they came out with a few yrs ago, they do help and i try to use them as much as possible. But that's still "inhaling" nicotine so it doesn't get rid of that addiction!!!

I think i understand your sister....sometimes i think that would be the only way to quit too....PUT ME TO SLEEP FOR ABOUT 3 MONTHS!

My problem is i love it and hate it at the same time....i enjoy smoking (most of the time), but hate that it has such a strong hold on me.

When I was a kid, the major brands would put out cartons decorated like xmas gifts. I can still see, in my mind's eye, a red ribbon and pine bough printed on Camels and even a little "to - from" tag printed on the carton.

I can remember seeing cartons under the xmas tree with the "to - from" tag filled in.

I also remember the price per carton - $3.00.

Nope

Yup...like i said, i think the only thing i haven't tried is hypnosis, and i don't like that idea at all. I still have some of those little inhalers they came out with a few yrs ago, they do help and i try to use them as much as possible. But that's still "inhaling" nicotine so it doesn't get rid of that addiction!!!

I think i understand your sister....sometimes i think that would be the only way to quit too....PUT ME TO SLEEP FOR ABOUT 3 MONTHS!

My problem is i love it and hate it at the same time....i enjoy smoking (most of the time), but hate that it has such a strong hold on me.

If you believe that would work, then, yes, it would. But, I've read that the physical addiction is gone from your body in three to five days. Buproprion (Zyban) worked for me but what I see in myself now is that although I don't miss the drug, I still do very occasionally miss the act of smoking.

There have been a couple of occasions when I have smoked and it tasted awful.

And, gawd, how smoking stinks. I have to defend smokers that they have no idea how bad they stink. No smoker knows until after they don't smoke anymore.

I have never smoked and grew up with parents who smoked. Out of us 6 kids I was the only one who did not pick up this habit. Now out of the 6 only 2 smoke. The rest quit

Hubby was a heavy smoker. He quit after my second one was diagnosed with asthma.. Sometimes when he drinks he will smoke a cig if someone is here to bum one from because he never buys them.. He grew up to parents who smoked and quit before he left the house. Out of the 7 kids , hubby was the only smoker.

Forum List

Back