Are we an impolite society?

Never trust ANYONE who is pointlessly rude to a waitress, a maid, a bartender or any person doing a menial task for them.

Sooner or later, you're just one of the help to them, too. They're NOT to be trusted.

That's not a bad maxim.

We didn't have commuter trains and things like that, but if we had you can be damn sure there wouldn't have been 1 woman, any woman not just pregnant or whatever, standing if a man could have given up his seat. Any guy that thought that was going to fly probably would have got a severe beatdown.

Fail to give up your seat and you get severely beaten.

I'm not sure that this approach makes society more polite.

A little courtesy costs us nothing, but it can mean a lot to the people on the receiving end of it, I think.

I'm sometimes ostentagiously courteous or engaging with people just going through the motions of their dead end jobs.

I know what a soul deadening experience it can be to have that kind of job where much of the public treats you like a public urinal.

Never trust ANYONE who is pointlessly rude to a waitress, a maid, a bartender or any person doing a menial task for them.

Sooner or later, you're just one of the help to them, too. They're NOT to be trusted.

I think you have a lot of empathy for people.

It's a powertrip for some people to be purposely rude to a waitress, maid, bartender. It says a lot about these people. Doesn't it?

It's gratifying to be courteous and polite. You feel good about yourself, not to mention how the other person feels -- the one is at the receiving end of the courteous behavior.

Well .... the story is just lame for many reasons:

Sports morons get paid too much as it is so who should care.

People these days have short memories and even shorter attention spans so most likely old people are easily forgotten anyway, thus is the age of 'faster' everything and the result of people looking for quick fixes.

Lastly, there are just too many people alive right now so it's not surprising that most of us are just sick of being polite to everyone. It just takes too much energy to care about 8 billion humans.

Well .... the story is just lame for many reasons:

Sports morons get paid too much as it is so who should care.

People these days have short memories and even shorter attention spans so most likely old people are easily forgotten anyway, thus is the age of 'faster' everything and the result of people looking for quick fixes.

Lastly, there are just too many people alive right now so it's not surprising that most of us are just sick of being polite to everyone. It just takes too much energy to care about 8 billion humans.

You need to run for office or something KK!

You need to run for office or something KK!

LOL ... well ...
Not rich enough to buy the votes ... or the politcal backing. So never would happen anyway. Secondly, why the hell would I care to clean up the mess our country is in? Really, even if I was good enough, we are one fucked up country now and I wouldn't want to take on that much work anyway, I am too lazy, that's why I sit at computers all day.

Today after going to the hearing doctor for my new aid, met a friend for lunch. During the course I went to the bathroom. Was washing my hands, when the door creaked open, elderly woman using a walker. I asked, "Can I get the door for you?" Didn't just pull it open, as she probably would have gone flying, using the walker to push open the door. She said, "Thank you, this walker..." I said, "I know, they have their uses but are rather cumbersome." She laughed and said, "a constant reminder of being old." She wheeled herself towards the handicap space, which of course had a 'swing out' door. I just gave a flick to open it and she said, "Happy New Year, your mom raised you right." Hey, I'm over 50 myself. :lol:

It takes very little effort or time to be civil, which is all that manners are. When shopping if a man or teen has lots of package, I'll hold open the door for them, not once have they not responded with a, "Thank you."

A little courtesy costs us nothing, but it can mean a lot to the people on the receiving end of it, I think.

I'm sometimes ostentagiously courteous or engaging with people just going through the motions of their dead end jobs.

I know what a soul deadening experience it can be to have that kind of job where much of the public treats you like a public urinal.

You will never be mean to a waitress again in your life if you have seen the movie Waiting! And as for bartenders they will just put viasene(however you spell it) in your drink! And you should always tip your maid!

Seriously, if I'd taken that more to heart, I'd never would have married my ex. Both he and his parents were awful to all service people. Having spent time waitressing in high school, I went out of my way to try and change the perception. Their tipping was fine, it was the whistles, 'girl', and bitching that were the problem.

You will never be mean to a waitress again in your life if you have seen the movie Waiting! And as for bartenders they will just put viasene(however you spell it) in your drink! And you should always tip your maid!

If you can afford a maid you should be able to tip everyone.

The only time I don't is when I consider the waitress has been deliberately rude or unhelpful.

Agreed. On the other hand, it's also a good idea to let the management know what and why. Perhaps that isn't the 'career' for them. Truth is, if I meet up with a rude waitress or waiter, my tendency is not to return to the establishment, especially if not one I normally frequent. Truth-to-tell, it's happened twice, in both cases the restaurants quickly went out of business.

I don't think one finds 'rude' workers in a good house. New or inept, certainly, but rude, no.

Agreed. On the other hand, it's also a good idea to let the management know what and why. Perhaps that isn't the 'career' for them. Truth is, if I meet up with a rude waitress or waiter, my tendency is not to return to the establishment, especially if not one I normally frequent. Truth-to-tell, it's happened twice, in both cases the restaurants quickly went out of business.

I don't think one finds 'rude' workers in a good house. New or inept, certainly, but rude, no.

Agreed. It's only happened to me an about 3 occasions, the last being over 10 years ago. On the other hand, if the food and ambience have been good, I wouldn't punish the restaurant for one lousy waitress. If it's a good place, they'll figure out the deal before long anyway.

"You know, the like ones the talk like they like know everything about being totally like cool and all? As if, they have to have like all their phones and iPods or they are like nobody. Get a clue man."

Them.

Weird, must be the area. I eat out quite a lot and never have run into something like that.

"You know, the like ones the talk like they like know everything about being totally like cool and all? As if, they have to have like all their phones and iPods or they are like nobody. Get a clue man."

Them.

They are a pain, but they sure give you and your dinner companions something to chuckle about! :lol:

Forum List

Back